Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Swords

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • harbormaster
    Calguns Addict
    • Jun 2017
    • 6732

    Swords

    Someone posted in my friends Gun panic buy thread about using a sword for self defense. I toss knives as a hobby and getting better at it. But when I glanced at "swords" I only see two things: Extremely expensive types for which I don't know if they are for show or real; and extremely cheap chinese stuff that I can guess is mostly for wall hanging decor?

    Is there such a thing as a truly defensive sword for a reasonable price point?
    1. Compared to what?
    2. At what cost?
    3. What hard evidence do you have?

    T.S. debunking the Left in 3 simple questions.
  • #2
    Master_Prestige
    Senior Member
    • Aug 2019
    • 1016



    This is what happens when you try to use a sword as self defense. Poor poor choice of weaponry.

    Comment

    • #3
      harbormaster
      Calguns Addict
      • Jun 2017
      • 6732

      do recall that

      Yep lousy choice for defense from a crowd; that's for hi cap magazines from freedom week. Just curious since I like knives but never saw a "sword" that seemed like anything - that would work?

      Originally posted by Master_Prestige


      This is what happens when you try to use a sword as self defense. Poor poor choice of weaponry.
      1. Compared to what?
      2. At what cost?
      3. What hard evidence do you have?

      T.S. debunking the Left in 3 simple questions.

      Comment

      • #4
      • #5
        Epaphroditus
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2013
        • 4888

        FYI untrained inexperienced people with firearms are generally frowned upon. Same goes for any weapon.
        CA firearms laws timeline BLM land maps

        Comment

        • #6
          harbormaster
          Calguns Addict
          • Jun 2017
          • 6732

          Agree

          No doubt. I did a good deal of high school fencing 40 years ago; just looking for physical activities cheaper then shooting still defense worthy. I just finished remodeling a back yard with lots of space; set it up for tossing knives but there is plenty of room for more - even a short archery range.

          I have to find things to do when the winds not blowing and I can't go sailing.

          Originally posted by Epaphroditus
          FYI untrained inexperienced people with firearms are generally frowned upon. Same goes for any weapon.
          1. Compared to what?
          2. At what cost?
          3. What hard evidence do you have?

          T.S. debunking the Left in 3 simple questions.

          Comment

          • #7
            harbormaster
            Calguns Addict
            • Jun 2017
            • 6732

            oops

            That's a selfie stick isn't it?

            Originally posted by Epaphroditus
            1. Compared to what?
            2. At what cost?
            3. What hard evidence do you have?

            T.S. debunking the Left in 3 simple questions.

            Comment

            • #8
              KevinB
              Senior Member
              • Mar 2010
              • 2314

              Good way to get yourself killed.

              Comment

              • #9
                harbormaster
                Calguns Addict
                • Jun 2017
                • 6732

                or

                A police officer I knew was on the stand getting grilled by a defense attorney in a case he'd arrested a man for assault with a deadly weapon. I'll never forget it was quite intriguing.

                Defense attorney: "you considered the flash flight a deadly weapon"
                Cop: "yes"

                Defense attorney: "why was it a deadly weapon?"
                Cop: "its big, long, heavy, can smash one's head in"

                Defense attorney: "did my client bring this flashlight into the bar with him?"
                Cop: "no"

                Defense attorney: "how do you know he didn't bring it in with him??
                Cop: "because I brought it in with me:

                Defense attorney, looks at the jury, and how did my client come to possess this deadly weapon flashlight? "
                Cop: "I tossed it too him:

                Defense attorney, "you gave him the flash light"
                Cop: "yes"

                Defense attorney, "why did you give him the flash light?
                Cop: "so I could draw my gun"

                Case dismissed.

                Originally posted by KevinB
                Good way to get yourself killed.
                1. Compared to what?
                2. At what cost?
                3. What hard evidence do you have?

                T.S. debunking the Left in 3 simple questions.

                Comment

                • #10
                  870classic
                  Member
                  • Jun 2010
                  • 460

                  Originally posted by KevinB
                  Good way to get yourself killed.
                  Agreed.

                  I fenced in college and was quite good with the Foil and Epee, However. I would not used a sword to save my life unless I had no other option.

                  If you want to go the sword route, I might suggest the use of Cold Steel's "gurkha kukri" as a CQ weapon. I use this unit around the yard for clearing out succulents and minor brush and it works quite well for the intended purpose. It has the heft and strength to take care of business.

                  Would I use it in self defense, sure. Would it be my first choice, Absolutely Not.

                  Like you mentioned above in the court case, anything can be a weapon or weaponized. The key is employing it in the correct way, and being proficient with it to save your life and the lives of others.

                  Best regards,
                  870classic.

                  Comment

                  • #11
                  • #12
                    buruli
                    Member
                    • Apr 2012
                    • 174

                    Don't bring a knife to a gunfight

                    Comment

                    • #13
                      the86d
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Jul 2011
                      • 9591

                      I have some blades, but no swords, however if someone is breaking in through a window/door, I am sure am improvised pitchfork, or tactical spear might help with advances if a small group...

                      I recall someone posting one of these here in reference to bladed Slashing, or Piercing SD for home use:
                      M48 Apocalypse Zombie Survival Spear features a sharpened, stainless steel blade. These spears measure over 44 inches and have a functional blade.


                      A bit pricey, but if that is all one can get say a reformed felon, or something like a zombie that didn't prepare thoughts for the possibilities ahead of time and buy at least A.GUN... it might be a moderate option.

                      I personally have some HF HD, and bushcraft machetes I got as mostly gifts in the zombie genre as a partial joke, but let's just say a bunch more than I thought I'd have, ever... :-)

                      Is OTC black powder stuff sold out right now too?!
                      Last edited by the86d; 10-21-2020, 4:12 PM.

                      Comment

                      • #14
                        FeuerFrei
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Aug 2008
                        • 7455

                        If you're gonna swing away with a sword you should consider a round shield or buckler to go with it.

                        Comment

                        • #15
                          Spaffo
                          Senior Member
                          • Nov 2013
                          • 1360

                          Long bayonet in an emergency works pretty well, I would think.
                          Last edited by Spaffo; 05-22-2022, 3:06 PM.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          UA-8071174-1