Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Bugout

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • W.B.
    Junior Member
    • Feb 2017
    • 78

    Bugout

    I have been doing a lot of research and cannot find the answer.

    What is the maximum length a blade can be for a folding knife? Both manual and assisted opening please.

    Specifically I am looking for a Benchmade Bugout. Is that legal for EDC in California (except Los Angeles city)?

    Thank you.
  • #2
    snacks
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2006
    • 939

    Get it. It’s 3.5” but it doesn’t feel like a 3.5” knife. I have two

    Also look into Spyderco as well one thing that I didn’t like was the squishiness factor of the bugouts the scales flex. But if you intend to install aftermarket scales it adds rigidity but the cost will go up.

    But for the size it’s a good knife if you don’t mind the flex in the scales
    I have two bugouts and some spydercos

    Comment

    • #3
      Librarian
      Admin and Poltergeist
      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
      • Oct 2005
      • 44690

      Originally posted by W.B.
      I have been doing a lot of research and cannot find the answer.

      What is the maximum length a blade can be for a folding knife? Both manual and assisted opening please.

      Specifically I am looking for a Benchmade Bugout. Is that legal for EDC in California (except Los Angeles city)?

      Thank you.
      See the sticky http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=815906

      Basically, there is no general length limit; k-12 schools have one, and city and county of LA both have one.
      ARCHIVED Calguns Foundation Wiki here: http://web.archive.org/web/201908310...itle=Main_Page

      Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!

      Comment

      • #4
        W.B.
        Junior Member
        • Feb 2017
        • 78

        Thank you for the responses.

        Comment

        • #5
          Mr.Cip
          Senior Member
          • Jul 2013
          • 784

          I have the blue Bugout. I just recently bought the Mini Bugout Orange. The Mini has become my EDC.


          Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

          Comment

          • #6
            Whiskey_Tango
            Senior Member
            • Mar 2014
            • 1588

            Benchmade?

            Comment

            • #7
              snacks
              Senior Member
              • Jan 2006
              • 939

              If you are open to other knives for around the same price range or less there are other nice candidates as well.

              Civivi elementum is a nice gentlemens type knife that is good for edc especially if you are just using it for light duty (paper, fruit, light boxes)

              Boker mini Kwaiken another gentlemen style knife especially if your in an office setting.

              Kizer mini beigleter is a nice option too.

              If you are looking for a bit more robust use and don't mind spending the coin.

              Spyderco para 3. It's a 3" blade but the overall length is about the size of the bugout. Plus it is more robust and has g10 scales.

              Paramilitary 2 big brother of the para 3
              Manix 2
              These are more robust knives and are alos heavier than the bugout.

              The mini bugout is smaller but i haven't held one and can't really say much about it's ergos.

              The hard part is you may find yourself buying more knives lol. I rotate in my edc usage. The bugout is small and slim. I've added titanium scales to add rigidity and weight but now it becomes an expensive knife.

              With the spyderco's i spend a bit more than the Benchmade but i don't feel i need to change anything out to add robustness, unless you want it to look prettier.

              I have been contemplating getting the civivi for an inexpensive gentlemen style knife that still has a decent steel and fairly easy to self sharpen.

              Comment

              • #8
                W.B.
                Junior Member
                • Feb 2017
                • 78

                The paramilitary is very interesting. I will think about it more before I make a decision.

                Comment

                • #9
                  MeatyMac
                  Senior Member
                  • Aug 2013
                  • 2262

                  Originally posted by W.B.
                  The paramilitary is very interesting. I will think about it more before I make a decision.
                  If you’re use to thumb studs the Spyderco’s might be a little strange to deploy, definitely something to try before you buy, but the Paramilitary II is a solid knife, I have two of them.

                  I really like assisted flipper knives and regularly EDC a ZT0566 (Rick Hinderer design) and a ZT0350 (Ken Onion design), they are 3-3/8” and 3-1/4” blades, respectively, and both the ones I have I bought used for under $100.

                  I have a mini Bugout I bought new but I can’t get over the soft scale inserts and have never carried it, who makes aftermarket scales for the mini Bugout?
                  Last edited by MeatyMac; 03-17-2020, 8:22 AM.
                  .

                  .........??????????...... sigpic
                  .
                  ???Everyone's a Garand expert until the Garand expert walks in the room and I have only met 3, Scott Duff, Bruce Canfield & Gus Fisher
                  .

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    MeatyMac
                    Senior Member
                    • Aug 2013
                    • 2262

                    Originally posted by snacks
                    I have been contemplating getting the civivi for an inexpensive gentlemen style knife that still has a decent steel and fairly easy to self sharpen.
                    .

                    .........??????????...... sigpic
                    .
                    ???Everyone's a Garand expert until the Garand expert walks in the room and I have only met 3, Scott Duff, Bruce Canfield & Gus Fisher
                    .

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      gorn5150
                      Senior Member
                      • Aug 2007
                      • 1453

                      There is also a mini bugout with a shorter blade of you are worried about the length. The bugout is a great knife.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      UA-8071174-1