Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Can you remove electro etching?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Tom-ADC
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2010
    • 3614

    Can you remove electro etching?

    Back in 1996 I was given a Gerber Paul Series 2 Model 2 knife with my name electro etched on the blade. Been thinking of using this but how do I remove that? Or can it be removed & still look good?
    US Navy Retired, NRA Lifetime member. Member CRPA

  • #2
    G-forceJunkie
    Calguns Addict
    • Jul 2010
    • 6479

    Depending on how deep it is, basically you have to remove metal down to the deepest depth. Any decent knife maker should have the tools (grinding wheels and belts) to do the job.

    Comment

    • #3
      Svashtar
      Senior Member
      • Apr 2017
      • 936

      Can you remove electro etching?

      Originally posted by Tom-ADC
      Back in 1996 I was given a Gerber Paul Series 2 Model 2 knife with my name electro etched on the blade. Been thinking of using this but how do I remove that? Or can it be removed & still look good?
      Originally posted by G-forceJunkie
      Depending on how deep it is, basically you have to remove metal down to the deepest depth. Any decent knife maker should have the tools (grinding wheels and belts) to do the job.
      "Civil Defense Thru Civil Disobedience; Never Disarm!"

      sigpic NRA Benefactor Life Member
      NRA Certified Instructor
      CRPA Life Member

      Comment

      • #4
        Tom-ADC
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2010
        • 3614

        Thank you, I would have thought having a name etched on it would kill any value.
        I wouldn't try this myself, way beyond my skills at this age.
        US Navy Retired, NRA Lifetime member. Member CRPA

        Comment

        • #5
          Svashtar
          Senior Member
          • Apr 2017
          • 936

          Originally posted by Tom-ADC
          Thank you, I would have thought having a name etched on it would kill any value.

          I wouldn't try this myself, way beyond my skills at this age.
          "Civil Defense Thru Civil Disobedience; Never Disarm!"

          sigpic NRA Benefactor Life Member
          NRA Certified Instructor
          CRPA Life Member

          Comment

          • #6
            Tom-ADC
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2010
            • 3614

            Svashtar, any idea of a ball park figure?
            US Navy Retired, NRA Lifetime member. Member CRPA

            Comment

            • #7
              Svashtar
              Senior Member
              • Apr 2017
              • 936

              Originally posted by Tom-ADC
              Svashtar, any idea of a ball park figure?

              Giving a WAG I would say $25-$30 would cover the removal, but it depends on how deep it is, and how much time to buff it out. I think that would probably cover it.


              Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              "Civil Defense Thru Civil Disobedience; Never Disarm!"

              sigpic NRA Benefactor Life Member
              NRA Certified Instructor
              CRPA Life Member

              Comment

              • #8
                crufflers
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Jul 2011
                • 12723

                Originally posted by Tom-ADC
                Back in 1996 I was given a Gerber Paul Series 2 Model 2 knife with my name electro etched on the blade. Been thinking of using this but how do I remove that? Or can it be removed & still look good?
                A good example here is Busse's and their other two brands... if the blade is painted or powder coated and then lectro lasered or similar through the paint layer... when you strip the blade the shallow etch is basically invisible. So to retain the markings you have to etch the logo deeper into the steel before stripping the blade. If you skip the etching step, you can sand, stonewash, or grind off the remaining logo.

                Yep it is all relative to the depth of the etch.

                Here's a Scrap Yard 511 that I stripped after I etched the existing logo... otherwise the logo would be very faint or invisible.



                Now it is deep enough where it would be hard to grind off.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Tom-ADC
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2010
                  • 3614

                  This blade very high polish as the picture shows (lousy picture)
                  But has my first name middle initial and last name.
                  If this was cleared up so looked as new without damaging the other side I'd sell it.

                  US Navy Retired, NRA Lifetime member. Member CRPA

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    crufflers
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Jul 2011
                    • 12723

                    Originally posted by Tom-ADC
                    This blade very high polish as the picture shows (lousy picture)
                    But has my first name middle initial and last name.
                    If this was cleared up so looked as new without damaging the other side I'd sell it.

                    Yeah, if you pay to have it removed and pay to have it polished it will add up.
                    I'd say just keep it, but I dunno how much it is worth.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Tom-ADC
                      Veteran Member
                      • Apr 2010
                      • 3614

                      Originally posted by crufflers
                      Yeah, if you pay to have it removed and pay to have it polished it will add up.
                      I'd say just keep it, but I dunno how much it is worth.
                      I'll keep it as a safe queen maybe one of the kids or grandkids will use it later.
                      US Navy Retired, NRA Lifetime member. Member CRPA

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      UA-8071174-1