Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Spring assisted knife

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • APV
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2011
    • 620

    Spring assisted knife

    I am trying to understand the difference between switchblade considered illegal in CA and spring assisted legal in CA. Is it just about having a button vs not having? Some legal classifications are not obvious.
    sigpic
  • #2
    gorn5150
    Senior Member
    • Aug 2007
    • 1453

    When you push the button on a switchblade the blade automatically opens. There is no interaction with the blade. On assisted opening knives you have to actually move the blade a little bit before it deploys. As stupid as that is, that is the difference.

    Comment

    • #3
      donnrcp
      Senior Member
      • Jun 2011
      • 640

      I own 6 assisted opening type knives but I really like the Cold Steel Swift 1 we got our son for Christmas last year. I've got my CRKT Hissatsu folder in my pocket as I am typing this. Next year the assisted opening knife may be classified as an AW .
      sigpic

      Comment

      • #4
        APV
        Senior Member
        • Feb 2011
        • 620

        Originally posted by gorn5150
        When you push the button on a switchblade the blade automatically opens. There is no interaction with the blade. On assisted opening knives you have to actually move the blade a little bit before it deploys. As stupid as that is, that is the difference.
        Thanks. This classification is strait forward.
        Last edited by APV; 11-25-2016, 8:27 AM.
        sigpic

        Comment

        • #5
          gorn5150
          Senior Member
          • Aug 2007
          • 1453

          No problem, glad I could help. When assisted opening knives first hit the market my county DA tried to class them as swithblades. I had a meeting with their filing deputies and convinced them that they were not switchblades so they backed off of them. The only thing stupider then California gun laws are California knife laws.

          Comment

          • #6
            APV
            Senior Member
            • Feb 2011
            • 620

            Originally posted by gorn5150
            No problem, glad I could help. When assisted opening knives first hit the market my county DA tried to class them as swithblades. I had a meeting with their filing deputies and convinced them that they were not switchblades so they backed off of them. The only thing stupider then California gun laws are California knife laws.
            I appreciate your affort on behalf of all on this forum. I am not sure why switchblades are ourlawed in many places. Technilcally speaking a regular kitchen knife is more deedly than any pocket knife. It is probably because for some law makers the name brings association with something criminal. I have no complains, I've seen much worse and less logical in other places.
            Last edited by APV; 11-25-2016, 6:29 PM.
            sigpic

            Comment

            • #7
              orangeusa
              • Jul 2009
              • 9055

              There seems to be a legal hitch with gravity assisted knives. For some odd reason


              .

              Comment

              • #8
                gorn5150
                Senior Member
                • Aug 2007
                • 1453

                Switchblade knives include gravity knives in their description. The best I could find out as to why they are illegal was what I was told by my father, who became a police officer in the early 50's. The legislature in it's typical fashion saw one to many west side story type movies where gang members were using switchblades. Trying to save the citizens from themselves they enacted the law.

                I always thought that was kind of BS until we got hit with a ton of kung fu movies. What did the legislature do then? They outlawed throwing stars and nunchucks. My father and my careers spanned 6 decades and neither of us have ever handled a robbery that involved the use of any kung fu weapon. Now crossbows are another story.

                Comment

                • #9
                  APV
                  Senior Member
                  • Feb 2011
                  • 620

                  Originally posted by gorn5150
                  ... Now crossbows are another story.

                  as funny as it sounds that guy and his close associate and friend got 13 years in a high security prison. It is sort of there is no joke that cannot happen for real somewhere somehow.
                  Last edited by APV; 12-21-2016, 11:16 AM.
                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    packnrat
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2007
                    • 3939

                    and to think at one time the "switchblade" knife was called a safety blade.

                    even old granny's had them. in there sewing kits.
                    great for fishing.
                    (grab the knife with one hand cut the item, place back in pocket. blade was in safe mode till needed to cut then back into safe mode).
                    big gun's...i love big gun's

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      RandyD
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Jan 2009
                      • 6673

                      Originally posted by APV
                      I am not sure why switchblades are ourlawed in many places.
                      Switchblades are illegal for the same reason silencers, nunchucks, batons, AR-15 rifles, and openly carrying a firearm are illegal. There is an association between those items and a class of people the legislature does not favor. Their status of being illegal has nothing to do with crime prevention.
                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        TwentyOneFeet
                        Member
                        • Jul 2015
                        • 111

                        Originally posted by gorn5150
                        Switchblade knives include gravity knives in their description. The best I could find out as to why they are illegal was what I was told by my father, who became a police officer in the early 50's. The legislature in it's typical fashion saw one to many west side story type movies where gang members were using switchblades. Trying to save the citizens from themselves they enacted the law.

                        I always thought that was kind of BS until we got hit with a ton of kung fu movies. What did the legislature do then? They outlawed throwing stars and nunchucks. My father and my careers spanned 6 decades and neither of us have ever handled a robbery that involved the use of any kung fu weapon. Now crossbows are another story.
                        Basically this. I can carry a 10 inch bowie knife openly on my belt and that's perfectly legal. I can carry a folder that opens when you take it out of your pocket that is faster than any automatic knife and that's perfectly legal. But God forbid you OWN two sticks tied together with rope.

                        Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
                        TRIGGER WARNING.
                        Not responsible for your safe space.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          sirr6
                          Senior Member
                          • Jun 2008
                          • 1428

                          Can we own a switchblade/butterfly/OTF knife in our home?

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Carcassonne
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jul 2012
                            • 4897

                            Originally posted by APV

                            as funny as it sounds that guy and his close associate and friend got 13 years in a high security prison. It is sort of there is no joke that cannot happen for real somewhere somehow.

                            Have you ever heard of the Pendragon plot to take over Marin with a laser on top of Mt. Tamalpais?


                            .
                            Be sure to ask your doctor if depression, rectal bleeding, and suicide are right for you.

                            In the United States a person's expertise on a subject is inversely proportional to their knowledge of the subject: The less they know about something, the more they become an expert on it.

                            I am being held hostage in a giant insane asylum called Earth.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              gorn5150
                              Senior Member
                              • Aug 2007
                              • 1453

                              Originally posted by sirr6
                              Can we own a switchblade/butterfly/OTF knife in our home?
                              Yes

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1