Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Work Sharp Guided Knife Sharpening System

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • 09cs
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2013
    • 1704

    Work Sharp Guided Knife Sharpening System

    Anyone have experience with it? Pros Cons?
    Looking to get into a better sharpener than those counter top ones
    Work Sharp makes electric and manual knife sharpeners, belt sharpeners, and guided systems, and knives durable enough for everyday use.
    LA CCW:
    Mailed app: 6/23/2021
    Received Call: 4/5/22
    Interview: 4/12/22
    More documentation for GC requested and sent: 6/23/22
    Livescan completed and cleared: 8/3/22 Firearm Livescan Completed: 8/7/22
    Proceed to training email: 9/13/22
    Training doc received: 9/28/22
    Call to pick up: 10/31/22
    Pick up permit: 11/4/22
  • #2
    bubbala
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2012
    • 904

    no experience with this. i would consider their belted models before this one. or a lansky type for quality knives
    Last edited by bubbala; 10-11-2015, 9:47 AM.
    NRA Range Safety Officer pistol and reloading instructor

    https://www.facebook.com/pages/HL-Se...=photos_stream

    Comment

    • #3
    • #4
    • #5
      Subotai
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Jun 2010
      • 11289

      My neighbor bought a Wicked Edge, he showed me how he could shave with his knives now. Very pricey.
      RKBA Clock: soap box, ballot box, jury box, cartridge box (Say When!)
      Free Vespuchia!

      Comment

      • #6
        09cs
        Senior Member
        • Apr 2013
        • 1704

        I'd love something like a edgepro, but way too pricey

        I'd like something with a guide, as I'm relatively new to sharpening my own
        LA CCW:
        Mailed app: 6/23/2021
        Received Call: 4/5/22
        Interview: 4/12/22
        More documentation for GC requested and sent: 6/23/22
        Livescan completed and cleared: 8/3/22 Firearm Livescan Completed: 8/7/22
        Proceed to training email: 9/13/22
        Training doc received: 9/28/22
        Call to pick up: 10/31/22
        Pick up permit: 11/4/22

        Comment

        • #7
          Steponmytoes
          Senior Member
          • Dec 2014
          • 652

          I have their belted model and it works great for kitchen/utility knives. I use my spyderco sharpmaker for more expensive knives

          Comment

          • #8
            ElvenSoul
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Apr 2008
            • 17431

            With a good whetstone even a newb can achieve razor sharp blades.

            Go to ebay and search "wet stone sharpening"

            There are some that are less than $7.00

            Watch some you tubes on it. It is not that hard

            You will want
            1 stone 200 to 300 grit

            1 stone 400 to 600 grit

            1 stone 1000 to 1500 grit

            1 stone 3000 to 6000 grit

            1 stone 8000 to 12000 grit

            Yo will want a holder and resurface block at some point. Not needed to get started.
            sigpic

            Comment

            • #9
              09cs
              Senior Member
              • Apr 2013
              • 1704

              Originally posted by ElvenSoul
              With a good whetstone even a newb can achieve razor sharp blades.

              Go to ebay and search "wet stone sharpening"

              There are some that are less than $7.00

              Watch some you tubes on it. It is not that hard

              You will want
              1 stone 200 to 300 grit

              1 stone 400 to 600 grit

              1 stone 1000 to 1500 grit

              1 stone 3000 to 6000 grit

              1 stone 8000 to 12000 grit

              Yo will want a holder and resurface block at some point. Not needed to get started.
              Thanks for your advise!

              I'm looking into the Lansky kits that were mentioned above as well
              LA CCW:
              Mailed app: 6/23/2021
              Received Call: 4/5/22
              Interview: 4/12/22
              More documentation for GC requested and sent: 6/23/22
              Livescan completed and cleared: 8/3/22 Firearm Livescan Completed: 8/7/22
              Proceed to training email: 9/13/22
              Training doc received: 9/28/22
              Call to pick up: 10/31/22
              Pick up permit: 11/4/22

              Comment

              • #10
                bubbala
                Senior Member
                • Mar 2012
                • 904

                lansky "type" not necessarily that brand. i like a diamond stone option for the bevel establishment or first cut. i'v seen some that have a straight wire that might be easier to keep accurate.
                NRA Range Safety Officer pistol and reloading instructor

                https://www.facebook.com/pages/HL-Se...=photos_stream

                Comment

                • #11
                  09cs
                  Senior Member
                  • Apr 2013
                  • 1704



                  This is the one I'm looking at
                  LA CCW:
                  Mailed app: 6/23/2021
                  Received Call: 4/5/22
                  Interview: 4/12/22
                  More documentation for GC requested and sent: 6/23/22
                  Livescan completed and cleared: 8/3/22 Firearm Livescan Completed: 8/7/22
                  Proceed to training email: 9/13/22
                  Training doc received: 9/28/22
                  Call to pick up: 10/31/22
                  Pick up permit: 11/4/22

                  Comment

                  • #12
                    Blademan21
                    Senior Member
                    • Jun 2007
                    • 1941

                    Originally posted by 09cs
                    Wow,I tossed one like this when I moved from California. Should have keep it to Karma it to you. Sorry.
                    I now use the Spyderco system ,which I like much better.

                    Comment

                    • #13
                      09cs
                      Senior Member
                      • Apr 2013
                      • 1704

                      Originally posted by Blademan21
                      Wow,I tossed one like this when I moved from California. Should have keep it to Karma it to you. Sorry.
                      I now use the Spyderco system ,which I like much better.
                      Haha thanks man!

                      I've heard good things about the Spyderco one too
                      LA CCW:
                      Mailed app: 6/23/2021
                      Received Call: 4/5/22
                      Interview: 4/12/22
                      More documentation for GC requested and sent: 6/23/22
                      Livescan completed and cleared: 8/3/22 Firearm Livescan Completed: 8/7/22
                      Proceed to training email: 9/13/22
                      Training doc received: 9/28/22
                      Call to pick up: 10/31/22
                      Pick up permit: 11/4/22

                      Comment

                      • #14
                        NytWolf
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2010
                        • 3935

                        It looks like the Lansky would be a better system (full guidance). Although for smaller angles, the rod does scrape the clamping bolt. That's the only complaint I have about the Lansky.

                        Comment

                        • #15
                          2shotjoe
                          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                          CGN Contributor
                          • Feb 2011
                          • 26710

                          Originally posted by 09cs
                          i have it, really brung back my abused knife i had. edge was all jacked and would need force to cut anything. now its like new.

                          i also bought the Work Sharp Guided Field Sharpener for hunting and camping. works good so far.
                          Originally posted by Kestryll
                          ..you're kind of a sad excuse for an attorney...
                          Originally posted by Libertarian777
                          ...Don't pick either side....

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          UA-8071174-1