Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

All Finished!!

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Rampage.Maupin
    Member
    • Oct 2010
    • 333

    All Finished!!

    Well, after a long layoff filled with events that have pulled my attention away for a little more than a year, I was finally able to back to my bench to start a-grinding once again.

    Here is my first project, a small skinning knife with a 2.5" long blade.

    image.jpg

    I'll post updates as I move through the process.
    Last edited by Rampage.Maupin; 06-27-2015, 6:16 PM. Reason: Completed Project
    Originally posted by Lead Waster
    "Hey, he was speeding, look, he has high cap mags in the trunk...Terrorist!"
  • #2
    Rampage.Maupin
    Member
    • Oct 2010
    • 333

    image.jpg
    Originally posted by Lead Waster
    "Hey, he was speeding, look, he has high cap mags in the trunk...Terrorist!"

    Comment

    • #3
      Rampage.Maupin
      Member
      • Oct 2010
      • 333

      image.jpg
      Originally posted by Lead Waster
      "Hey, he was speeding, look, he has high cap mags in the trunk...Terrorist!"

      Comment

      • #4
        Toyman321
        Senior Member
        • Mar 2009
        • 1620

        Nice, what are you planning on making the grip out of? I've been grinding away today, Im going to be be making some micarta tonight to finish mine off.

        Comment

        • #5
          duggan
          Senior Member
          • Jun 2011
          • 1821

          Nice! I just started on my first ever knives (making two small camp knives from a lawnmower blade). I think I have the shapes I'm gonna stick with so now it's heat treating and handle work. If they turn out decent I'll post up some pics.
          A gun, like any other source of power, is a force for either good or evil, being neither in itself, but dependent upon those who possess it.

          Comment

          • #6
            Rampage.Maupin
            Member
            • Oct 2010
            • 333

            Originally posted by Toyman321
            Nice, what are you planning on making the grip out of? I've been grinding away today, Im going to be be making some micarta tonight to finish mine off.
            I've got some bubinga and some mesquite planks , it'll likely be between the 2 of them.
            Originally posted by Lead Waster
            "Hey, he was speeding, look, he has high cap mags in the trunk...Terrorist!"

            Comment

            • #7
              Rampage.Maupin
              Member
              • Oct 2010
              • 333

              Originally posted by duggan
              Nice! I just started on my first ever knives (making two small camp knives from a lawnmower blade). I think I have the shapes I'm gonna stick with so now it's heat treating and handle work. If they turn out decent I'll post up some pics.
              I think it is awesome that you are giving it a shot. It is incredibly rewarding once you have a completed blade. A word of caution when working with things like files and lawnmower blades though. It is very difficult to decipher what kind of steel you are working with, which makes it difficult to determine the proper heat treat recipe. I have worked with 1095 carbon steel (a known steel) before that I bought as a steel bar and still messed up the heat treat because it isn't a very unforgiving steel. Some steels are difficult to heat treat even when it is a known steel.

              Check out a place online NJSteelbarron. Start working with a know steel. Most professionals suggest starting with 1084, because it is easy to do a homebrew heat treat.

              It is incredibly frustrating to have "completed" a knife only to have it not hold an edge very well. Good luck to you!
              Originally posted by Lead Waster
              "Hey, he was speeding, look, he has high cap mags in the trunk...Terrorist!"

              Comment

              • #8
                Rampage.Maupin
                Member
                • Oct 2010
                • 333

                WIP Update

                image.jpgHere is an update to this. I screwed up the original one, so I started over from scratch. Little bit of a different profile, but I actually like it a bit more than the last one. Learning to do this on a grinder is way different that with a file!

                Anyways this is pretty much all set to go to heat treat.
                Last edited by Rampage.Maupin; 03-16-2015, 9:22 PM.
                Originally posted by Lead Waster
                "Hey, he was speeding, look, he has high cap mags in the trunk...Terrorist!"

                Comment

                • #9
                  mnichols
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2013
                  • 2625

                  Updates?
                  https://www.activejunky.com/invite/132380
                  Mr.Rebates sign-up referral link: http://www.mrrebates.com?refid=1034188

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Rampage.Maupin
                    Member
                    • Oct 2010
                    • 333

                    That are coming. Been swamped with work. About ready to start on the handles. I'll update in the next week or so.
                    Originally posted by Lead Waster
                    "Hey, he was speeding, look, he has high cap mags in the trunk...Terrorist!"

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Rampage.Maupin
                      Member
                      • Oct 2010
                      • 333

                      Just Epoxied Scales

                      I just slapped on the scales. These are Bubinga with brass pins. I'll take another couple of pics in the next couple of days assuming I can start some hoging!

                      image.jpg
                      Originally posted by Lead Waster
                      "Hey, he was speeding, look, he has high cap mags in the trunk...Terrorist!"

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Rampage.Maupin
                        Member
                        • Oct 2010
                        • 333

                        Hogin' Some Bubinga!

                        We got aways to go...

                        image.jpg
                        Originally posted by Lead Waster
                        "Hey, he was speeding, look, he has high cap mags in the trunk...Terrorist!"

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Rampage.Maupin
                          Member
                          • Oct 2010
                          • 333

                          We're getting there!

                          image.jpg
                          Originally posted by Lead Waster
                          "Hey, he was speeding, look, he has high cap mags in the trunk...Terrorist!"

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Rampage.Maupin
                            Member
                            • Oct 2010
                            • 333

                            Time to get my swole on...

                            image.jpg
                            Originally posted by Lead Waster
                            "Hey, he was speeding, look, he has high cap mags in the trunk...Terrorist!"

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Rampage.Maupin
                              Member
                              • Oct 2010
                              • 333

                              image.jpg
                              Originally posted by Lead Waster
                              "Hey, he was speeding, look, he has high cap mags in the trunk...Terrorist!"

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1