Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Precision rifle with cast lead bullets?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • loopy
    Junior Member
    • Oct 2012
    • 75

    Precision rifle with cast lead bullets?

    What do you all think about using cast lead on a precision rifle. I've read lead with wear down the barrel faster but in terms of accuracy for long range, any thoughts?

    Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

    ALSO I realized I put this in the wrong section... My bad. I thought I was in reloading not private sales...
  • #2
    delta 1/7
    Member
    • Feb 2008
    • 142

    I have a winchester model 70 serial number has it manufactured in the mid 50s it has had everything you can think of fired through it and it is still one of the most accurate rifles in the safe..... and if you think about it, lead is softer then an FMJ.

    my 2 cents.
    sigpic

    Comment

    • #3
      jericho89
      Senior Member
      • Aug 2011
      • 1129

      lead will not wear down your barrel faster. If you clean improperly then that will wear down you barrel but not the lead. Also using the proper gas checks are important.

      Comment

      • #4
        wellfedirishman
        Senior Member
        • Jun 2007
        • 2272

        Go to the Castboolits Forum and you will learn all you ever wanted on this subject.

        I cast and shoot lead bullets and get excellent accuracy with them. Powder selection is key when shooting lead.

        There is a Lyman cast bullet handbook which is very informative on what load combinations work well.

        Comment

        • #5
          TKM
          Onward through the fog!
          CGN Contributor
          • Jul 2002
          • 10657

          I'm interested in your reading material. Does it have Alfred E. Neuman on the cover?
          It's not PTSD, it's nostalgia.

          Comment

          • #6
            loopy
            Junior Member
            • Oct 2012
            • 75

            Originally posted by TKM
            I'm interested in your reading material. Does it have Alfred E. Neuman on the cover?
            No someone told me Google was my friend and funny thing, there's so much information there[emoji91] [emoji91] [emoji91] I'm starting to think Hillary should run for president again... [emoji85] [emoji86] [emoji87] lol

            Thanks guys for the information. I'm definitely more informed now, I'll continue to educate myself on the matter before I continue to move forward. [emoji106]

            Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
            Last edited by loopy; 01-20-2017, 9:32 PM.

            Comment

            • #7
              orangeusa
              • Jul 2009
              • 9055

              Originally posted by TKM
              I'm interested in your reading material. Does it have Alfred E. Neuman on the cover?
              What me worry?

              Comment

              Working...
              UA-8071174-1