Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

cheap Good FFP scope

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • kcstott
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Nov 2011
    • 11796

    cheap Good FFP scope

    In the interests of full disclosure I'm Kind of a leupold Shill or fan boy

    But I just seen the New leupold VX 3i 8.5-25x50mm FFP TMR MSRP is $1299 and i'm sure you can get in on eBay for less. But holy crap FFP for less then my Mk4?? with the same reticle and Mil turrets..

    This is what free market competition does. you get companies like Vortex and NF pushing FFP at low prices and it forces older companies to follow suit.
  • #2
    Scottie15
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2009
    • 992

    Interesting find. They have it for $999 at Cabela's.
    Its an expensive hobby, but more expensive when you try and convince yourself you don't need what you really want.

    Comment

    • #3
      ExtremeX
      Calguns Addict
      • Sep 2010
      • 7160

      Depending on the type of shooting you like to do I could see missing a little FOV on the low end with this scope.

      Looking forward to hearing some comparison/reviews.

      These days I think they are trying to gain back lost market share and they have a long way to go IMO. Lots of players in this space with very established reputations to fight against.
      ExtremeX

      Comment

      • #4
        kcstott
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Nov 2011
        • 11796

        Originally posted by ExtremeX
        Depending on the type of shooting you like to do I could see missing a little FOV on the low end with this scope.

        Looking forward to hearing some comparison/reviews.

        These days I think they are trying to gain back lost market share and they have a long way to go IMO. Lots of players in this space with very established reputations to fight against.
        No I think Leupold just didn't follow every new whim that came along.

        If you look at the top of the mark and Vortex and NF are not even included on the A list of players, Ziess, US Optics, and S&B, didn't just spit out every conceivable model you could make. Neither did leupold. Yes they fell short in the military tactical area, and didn't get suitable products released in enough time to be on the band wagon. But, and yeah I don't like it either, but they were slow to advance, Cautious a little overly cautious.
        The only other brand for me would be S&B and they are double the price and more of a Leupold. NF and Vortex don't have features i like and what they do have is all the stuff i hate. Looking through some of the NF Horus reticles is a bloody nightmare.. What the hell would you fill your field of view with so much useless crap?

        Comment

        • #5
          Duy12B
          Junior Member
          • Feb 2014
          • 55

          So I'm guessing you're not weighing any of the SWFA SS's scopes? They're pretty cheap, but great value for the money.

          If we're talking the 1200 (+/- a hundred) range: SWFA 5-25, and the Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 are also nice scopes in that realm.

          Whether you like Leupold or not, they're losing market share. They have been great in 2014, but, I see no reason to purchase their scopes until they start innovating or being more competitive in their pricing.

          I recently surveyed the top 100+ shooters in the Precision Rifle Series (PRS), and this post reviews the scopes those guys are running this year. For those of you who may not be familiar with the PRS, it’s an organization that tracks how top competitors place in major rifle matches across the country. PRS matches ...

          Comment

          • #6
            kcstott
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Nov 2011
            • 11796

            I'm impressed with Vortex but I don't care for the Reticles. The leupold I mentioned has the reticle that I favor the Leupold TMR. I don't like a Busy reticle, i don't need a wind and range tree. I just need mil graduations that don't clutter up my field of view. SWFA?? I'd have to see but I'm also very wary of buying cheap stuff. Not saying it's bad just saying i don't have any trust.

            Comment

            • #7
              LynnJr
              Calguns Addict
              • Jan 2013
              • 7958

              March got the ball rolling on the latest technology and the others either had to follow or get swallowed up.
              Lynn Dragoman, Jr.
              Southwest Regional Director
              Unlimited Range Shooters Association (URSA)
              www.unlimitedrange.org
              Not a commercial business.
              URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!

              Comment

              • #8
                Scottie15
                Senior Member
                • Jan 2009
                • 992

                Originally posted by kcstott
                SWFA?? I'd have to see but I'm also very wary of buying cheap stuff. Not saying it's bad just saying i don't have any trust.
                I've been using a couple of their 5-20x50 and 6x fixed power scopes for years now. My buddy got a used 5-20x50 for about $1k last year. We have both been quite pleased with the quality and performance, but I do wish there was a zero stop on it...
                Its an expensive hobby, but more expensive when you try and convince yourself you don't need what you really want.

                Comment

                • #9
                  kcstott
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Nov 2011
                  • 11796

                  Originally posted by Scottie15
                  but I do wish there was a zero stop on it...

                  Leupold has hash marks for a rev count. My 308 is two marks exposed = 100 meter zero.

                  zero stops not needed. I had a former Seal ask me the same question.. "well they don't have zero stops" and you can buy aftermarket turrets that do but if you know WTF you are doing you don't need zero stops.
                  Last edited by kcstott; 04-04-2017, 4:35 AM.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    kcstott
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Nov 2011
                    • 11796

                    Keep in mind this wasn't a Bash everybody but leupold thread.
                    Personally I have no faith in SWFA in a FFP for a few hundred bucks to be a quality scope. Notice i say "No faith" That means i freely admit to never have handled one and never looked through one. I do However have trust in Tiborasaurusrex and his eye for quality and how he reviews things, That said I do have a rifle in need of a better scope but I'm not wanting to dump a bunch of money on a $200 installing a higher end scope that won't get used that much. so a decent Vortex or SWFA might fit that application.

                    My other personal preference Is i want all my scopes to have the same reticle be it FFP or SFP I want the same reticle. I don't want to have to remember that this scope is this and that scope is that, I want .1 mil clicks mil reticle with graduations at half an hole mil not dots and not Horus busied up wind and range tree crap. I just want consistency from rifle to rifle.
                    Like looking through Iron sights, to me there is nothing better than the classic M1 Garand sight picture, which came from the 1903A3 Springfield improved on the Garand, relatively unchanged on the M14 and only slightly changed on the M16 rifles.

                    This thread was started to show that Leupold, A company with a great track record for building solid optics albeit slow to change and upgrade, having a top notch warrant has finally produced a FFP scope in a magnification range on par with your LR needs at half the cost of any of their other FFP scopes. Thats a huge step for them. and it put a quality product that can be trusted out of the box to work and if something should fail mail it to oregon and get it taken care of no questions asked.

                    I'll say it again I'm a fan of Leupold

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      kcstott
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Nov 2011
                      • 11796

                      Originally posted by ExtremeX
                      Depending on the type of shooting you like to do I could see missing a little FOV on the low end with this scope.

                      Looking forward to hearing some comparison/reviews.

                      These days I think they are trying to gain back lost market share and they have a long way to go IMO. Lots of players in this space with very established reputations to fight against.
                      They start out with a 4.5-14, have a 6.5-20 and then the 8.5-25 to cover all ranges of magnification

                      I see this as nothing but a direct response to SWFA, Vortex, and NF having FFP scopes in the $1200 range

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        ExtremeX
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Sep 2010
                        • 7160

                        I think you are underestimating how good of a scope you are getting with someone like SWFA.

                        If you compare apples to apples... SWFA 5-20 out of their SS HD line, you would need to spend 3 times more money with Leupold to get to that optical clarity.

                        It has been and probably will be one of the best values in optical performance. Leupold makes good stuff, you just need to pay more for it. Its not like they didn't have the product this entire time.

                        Problem is once you get to where you want to go with Leupold, there are other brands worth considering yet again.

                        Sometimes just looking at price doesn't give you the full picture.
                        ExtremeX

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          NorCalFocus
                          Veteran Member
                          • Aug 2013
                          • 3913

                          Originally posted by kcstott
                          In the interests of full disclosure I'm Kind of a leupold Shill or fan boy

                          But I just seen the New leupold VX 3i 8.5-25x50mm FFP TMR MSRP is $1299 and i'm sure you can get in on eBay for less. But holy crap FFP for less then my Mk4?? with the same reticle and Mil turrets..

                          This is what free market competition does. you get companies like Vortex and NF pushing FFP at low prices and it forces older companies to follow suit.
                          I'm glad Leupold finally got on board. They make a great scope, I just could not see why people would spend more money on a scope that had less features.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            kcstott
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Nov 2011
                            • 11796

                            Guys ask me why i don't use NF?? One answer.

                            Not in business long enough...

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              lower lover
                              Member
                              • Mar 2006
                              • 293

                              I have a falcon menace I have enjoyed it so far

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1