Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

7 mag

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Jjwisled
    Member
    • Jun 2015
    • 243

    7 mag

    I see a lot of post about various 6 mm, 6.5, 30 cal, and 338s for long range but its seems that the 7 mag is absent from these discussions. Excuse my ignorance If I'm wrong. It also seems like the 7 mags in the for sale section are not moving very fast.
  • #2
    Fjold
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Oct 2005
    • 23062

    7 Mag is not the best performer, IMHO as the 300 Mag seems to get more performance out of the same case. I don't know if it's because the 7 Mag has a shorter COAL and that little bit of difference reduces the powder capacity enough to matter but something isn't right about that cartridge.

    It's not prejudice against the cartridge due to ignorance or love of another cartridge, I own, reload for and occasionally hunt with a 7 Mag.
    Frank

    One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375




    Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF

    Comment

    • #3
      Jjwisled
      Member
      • Jun 2015
      • 243

      Thanks for your input. That's interesting for sure. I don't have a lot of experience with my 7 mag but it was surprising to see that people didn't use them for long range. I'm sure there great for most hunting applications if not over powered

      Comment

      • #4
        M1NM
        Calguns Addict
        • Oct 2011
        • 7966

        7mm Mag held the accuracy record for awhile. People today seem to go for the latest wiz bang cartridge. The 6 & 6.5 seem to be the accuracy kings with the 300 & 338 when you need knockdown power at 1000 yards. Nothing wrong with a 7mm. I've got 7mm Rem Mag 300 Win Mag 300 Wea Mag 458 Win Mag - guess I just like belted cartridges.

        Comment

        • #5
          LowThudd
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2011
          • 3608

          tag

          Comment

          • #6
            Lucky Scott
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2008
            • 2610

            I currently shoot and reload for my 7mm rem mag. It is a great rifle. Many shooters like to jump on the "latest" shooting craze. So other rifles get the spot light.
            The 7mm does have some recoil, but it is manageable. I shoot mine out to 500 yards and hope to someday stretch it out to 1000 yards. I believe the rifle is capable, but I need a little more seat time.
            Don't forget, the 7mm used to be the rifle of choice for the FBI for long range engagement.

            Comment

            • #7
              Jjwisled
              Member
              • Jun 2015
              • 243

              That's interesting I didn't know that. What loads do you run. I just started loading for a 7 Mauser all I need is dies for the mag. I've been leaning towards selling my mod 700 but for what they're bringing I think I will just enjoy it. With the addition of a limbsaver of course.

              Comment

              • #8
                Lucky Scott
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2008
                • 2610

                I load Sierra Match King 168 gr. bullets with 65 gr of H4831. I highly recommend a muzzle brake.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Sig Marine
                  Member
                  • May 2011
                  • 347

                  Nothing wrong with the 7mm mag if you have a barrel with the proper twist and a chamber that's throated to take advantage of the better BC bullets.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Jjwisled
                    Member
                    • Jun 2015
                    • 243

                    Thanks for the tips and info. What would you consider proper twist. I believe it's 1 in 8.25 but I could be wrong.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    UA-8071174-1