Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Idea - Down range wireless anemometer

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • RobertMW
    Senior Member
    • Jul 2013
    • 2117

    Idea - Down range wireless anemometer

    Has anyone thought of placing a remote anemometer down range, especially for those of you who are doing these extreme long range shoots?

    I was wondering if something like that has already been decided as verboten for rifle shooting, that no true shooter would ever rely on an instrument placed down range beforehand, since it would betray the practical use of rifles outside of competition. Or would those of you who try and make maximum range hits welcome a device like that to help you push the boundaries of accurate shots even further?

    Balistics calculators would not have to change much to make use of multiple wind readings, it's just a matter of running a calculation to a range, then taking the outputs of the first calc as the initial conditions of the next, and so on, until you reach your target.

    I know this would likely be an extremely niche market at best, but would anyone at all be willing to use something like this?
    Originally posted by kcbrown
    I'm most famous for my positive mental attitude.
  • #2
    kcstott
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Nov 2011
    • 11796

    I thought we did.

    I tie flags to things to be able to read the wind at range. Shooting in the desert where nothing grows more then a few feet high heat mirage only helps you so much

    Comment

    • #3
      RobertMW
      Senior Member
      • Jul 2013
      • 2117

      Originally posted by kcstott
      I thought we did.

      I tie flags to things to be able to read the wind at range. Shooting in the desert where nothing grows more then a few feet high heat mirage only helps you so much
      I was thinking something much more precise...

      and battery powered....

      and possibly flying, if I want to take it overboard.
      Originally posted by kcbrown
      I'm most famous for my positive mental attitude.

      Comment

      • #4
        kcstott
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Nov 2011
        • 11796

        I been thinking of that for quit some time. problem is trusting the data, but yeah there is no reason Kestral can't build a anemometer with a TX and RX function.
        have it bounce the data to your smart phone or tablet work the dat into your ballistics program and use it to create your firing solution. if you really wanted to go over board you could have an array of TX'ers sending data back and live updating your firing solution.

        But right now no such device exists and surveyors tape is cheep

        Comment

        • #5
          ar15barrels
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Jan 2006
          • 57179

          Originally posted by RobertMW
          Has anyone thought of placing a remote anemometer down range, especially for those of you who are doing these extreme long range shoots?

          I was wondering if something like that has already been decided as verboten for rifle shooting, that no true shooter would ever rely on an instrument placed down range beforehand, since it would betray the practical use of rifles outside of competition. Or would those of you who try and make maximum range hits welcome a device like that to help you push the boundaries of accurate shots even further?

          Balistics calculators would not have to change much to make use of multiple wind readings, it's just a matter of running a calculation to a range, then taking the outputs of the first calc as the initial conditions of the next, and so on, until you reach your target.

          I know this would likely be an extremely niche market at best, but would anyone at all be willing to use something like this?
          This would be useless for any single shot as the wind changes so fast that by the time that you check the readings and calculate your hold, the wind has already changed.
          It would only be useful for a general "how much wind is there" and that is easy to get by observing the environment and from noting the drift of your last shot fired.
          Randall Rausch

          AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
          Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
          Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
          Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
          Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

          Comment

          • #6
            kcstott
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Nov 2011
            • 11796

            yeah it's going to be a snap shot in time of what the wind looks like that I agree. It would not be difficult to have it constantly updating the ballistics computer.

            you're just at some point going to have to accept a window of how much wind to hold for and let it fly. It's still comes down to the dope behind the rifle.

            Comment

            • #7
              LynnJr
              Calguns Addict
              • Jan 2013
              • 7958

              RobertMW
              Your idea has already been tested out at 600 yards at Sacramento.
              The Shooter was Les Shepard who set out weather stations at intervals all hooked up to his laptop.
              The screen was touched when he drilled the X in the bullseye then the screen would go all red. As soon as the condition returned the screen would go green and he would fire again.
              I think he came in 3rd place but SwitchBarrel who posts here might be able to elaborate more.
              His rifle weighed around 65 pounds and was a 338 if my memory is working right.
              I also live in Santa Rosa.

              Also cameras downrange are not allowed so make sure you read the wording very carefully on the organization you will be shooting with.
              Lynn Dragoman, Jr.
              Southwest Regional Director
              Unlimited Range Shooters Association (URSA)
              www.unlimitedrange.org
              Not a commercial business.
              URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!

              Comment

              • #8
                LynnJr
                Calguns Addict
                • Jan 2013
                • 7958

                6mmBR.com is the best guide for 6mm BR Benchrest precision shooting, complete with 6BR FAQ, Reloading Data, Shooter Message Boards, Reader Polls, and Photo Gallery. Match event calendar and rifle competition accuracy training tips. Equipment reviews (.243 bullets, 30BR cartridge, 6mm Norma Improved, gun barrels, powders, primers, gunstocks, dies), accurizing, 1000yd ranges, ballistics, component sales, tools, gunsmiths. Articles archive for reloading, marksmanship, gunsmithing, and varminting.


                Les Shepard rifle is about the 3rd rifle down in the link above sitting in a golf bag cart with a purple stock.
                Lynn Dragoman, Jr.
                Southwest Regional Director
                Unlimited Range Shooters Association (URSA)
                www.unlimitedrange.org
                Not a commercial business.
                URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!

                Comment

                Working...
                UA-8071174-1