Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Public land Shooting spot tutorial

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • kcstott
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Nov 2011
    • 11796

    Public land Shooting spot tutorial

    Ok this comes up pretty frequent on our new board here.

    And BTW Thank you for giving us a long range board


    Anyway this is my little tutorial on how to find a legal place to shoot, who to contact and what to look out for.

    First my pet peeves.

    1. Jack wads Dove hunting while sitting on the cooler of beer.
    2. Jack wads target shooting while sitting on the cooler of beer
    3. Jack wads in general

    You know who they are, and you might be one for all I know. Now the people that know me know I can drink, Drink like a fish drunk off my Arse drinking drunkard.

    What I do not do is get wasted and shoot. Yeah i've been to the shoot & Q in San Diego and we were drinking at the firing line but in everyone defense we were all self regulating each other and there were plenty of stone cold sober people there to call anyone out if they got a little to damn tipsy and wanted to shoot. Those guys there I would drink and shoot with any day of the week. Because we are responsible adults and we knew our limits. as people started to get loaded the guns got unloaded and put away. very simple.

    That said that is the only place i'm guilt of alcohol consumption and use of firearms
    The issue I have is idiots pounding beers and can't even walk straight trying to target shoot or dove hunt. I Fing Hate dove hunter because of a handful of idiots.
    So do yourself a favor and leave the Beer, Brandy, Whiskey, what ever in the cooler for after the shoot when you are going no where and are relaxing for the night done for the day
    Fish and wildlife can bust you for public intoxication, DUI, and hunting while intoxicated. They unlike the border patrol do not have to turn you over to CHP for the DUI

    Beside that think about one thing.. Could you live with your self if you were a little buzzed and let loose by mistake a round that killed someone??? Possibly your best friend, one of your children or just some poor soul that happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time. It's not not worth the fight in court and it's not worth the memory knowing that you killed someone because you couldn't be an adult.

    Ok Off the soap box



    BLM land (Bureau of Land Management)

    Our Number one source of legal open areas to shoot in California.
    Things you need to know about BLM land
    All BLM land is open to shooting as far as the BLM is concerned with the exception of certain areas that they have listed that are off limits to shooting, These are all listed on the web site, BLM site

    BLM maps for California
    Maps

    Here's the Target shooting and hunting page
    Target shooting and hunting BLM page

    That said you still need to comply with State, County, City, DFW, and Calfire regulations

    For the most part all you will need to do is check with your local sheriff and get a map of shooting areas for the county you are in.

    San Diego has one Here

    It is your job as a good steward of firearms shooting sports to know the rules that effect you.


    As usual I'm reinventing the wheel a little bit.
    Calguns BLM shoot thread

    Now what you need to know more then anything is what a WILDERNESS area is and what an ACEC

    Both of these areas are open to shooting it just restricts access,
    For the most part a WILDERNESS AREA limits access of motorized vehicles to ON ROAD ACCESS ONLY, NO OFF HIGHWAY GREEN OR RED STICKERS ALLOWED. TRAVEL ON MARKED ROADS ONLY. AND THIS MEANS ROADS NOT TRAILS. Always obey the signs.

    ACEC are pretty much walk in walk out, some areas allow Horses but my advice here is very generic an is a starting point it is up to you to know the regs

    Personally I stay away from the WILDERNESS areas and the ACEC's

    LIMITED USE AREAS
    these are areas that have specific rules on access and use each are is different and may or may not allow camping, hunting, shooting, or motor vehicle access

    Again I stay off any restricted use area.

    Now for the common sense stuff
    Basic stuff like no trash shooting, If you bring it in pack it out. Take a rake and a shovel with you to clean up your area, Or don't, leave your brass behind I'll pick it up as I've done for years.

    You can burn your trash as long as you are only burning organic matter, That means not plastics or rubber. no water bottles, or shot gun shells

    You are allowed to dig a latrine and the funny thing is a chemical toilet is not legal in the area that I've been camping in for years. A chemical toilet needs to be permanently affixed to the camper to be legal. I guess people were dumping them on site.

    You also need a fire permit for a camp fire, it takes five minutes to get and they are good for a year. Calfire issues them.
    Imperial county has a law 300 yards minimum shooting distance from roads and dwellings, It is very lightly enforced as I've hunted right up next to roads during bird season


    TARGETS AND BACK STOPS.
    If you are not shooting into the side of a mountain you need to find another area. pure and simple.

    Be sure of your bullets path, Know your area and the foot and or vehicle traffic in the area, for those long range shooting, be sure you know where the hiking trails are and you are not shooting over or near them.

    Please feel free to comment on your area experience and lets turn this into a general guide for where we should go and how we need to take care of our land.
    Last edited by kcstott; 06-14-2015, 8:37 AM.
  • #2
    Sir Toast
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2012
    • 3140

    This thread makes me want to fill a cooler with beer and go shooting. Only I'd bring an umbrella for some shade and shoot one handed with my beer.

    No, I'm a responsible shooter, but damn your thread makes me thirsty for beer and gunpowder. Maybe I'll go golfing and drinking beer. Or fishing and drinking beer.

    Comment

    • #3
      kcstott
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Nov 2011
      • 11796

      You're a funny guy
      Last edited by kcstott; 06-15-2015, 3:16 PM.

      Comment

      • #4
        valster3
        Junior Member
        • Jan 2012
        • 6

        Been waiting for a thread like this. Thank you!

        Comment

        • #5
          Shasta Frog
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2012
          • 740

          So in other words just go to your local BLM office for any questions and bring plenty of beer

          Comment

          • #6
            musketjon
            Senior Member
            • Jan 2008
            • 1746

            If you're bringing the beer and guns, let me know where and when you'll be. I will avoid you like the plague.
            Rule number one:firearms and alcohol do not mix.
            Rule number two:firearms and alcohol do not mix.
            Rule number three:firearms and alcohol do not mix.
            Do you see a pattern here???
            Jon
            NRA Certified Firearms Instructor
            Last edited by musketjon; 07-13-2015, 10:36 AM.

            Comment

            • #7
              D Harry
              Junior Member
              • Apr 2009
              • 74

              OP is the JackWad himself.

              Comment

              • #8
                prob
                Senior Member
                • Jan 2006
                • 1355

                Let me see if I can get this straight: As long as you and your friends are drinking and shooting it's okay, but if anyone else does it they're a jack wad (whatever that is) and irresponsible.

                Is that pretty much the message here? Because as far as I'm concerned alcohol and guns don't mix. Period. I don't care how responsible you and your drinking buddies perceive yourselves to be.

                I'm pretty sure that most people I know would not care to be on the firing line in the presence of a bunch of drunken yahoos - even if they were "self regulating" each other.

                Perhaps a little introspection is in order before calling out others for something that you participate in yourself.

                Comment

                • #9
                  kcstott
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Nov 2011
                  • 11796

                  Originally posted by prob
                  Let me see if I can get this straight: As long as you and your friends are drinking and shooting it's okay, but if anyone else does it they're a jack wad (whatever that is) and irresponsible.

                  Is that pretty much the message here? Because as far as I'm concerned alcohol and guns don't mix. Period. I don't care how responsible you and your drinking buddies perceive yourselves to be.

                  I'm pretty sure that most people I know would not care to be on the firing line in the presence of a bunch of drunken yahoos - even if they were "self regulating" each other.

                  Perhaps a little introspection is in order before calling out others for something that you participate in yourself.
                  See thats the issue with you panty wastes...

                  NO THIS IS THE RULE, IT'S ETCHED IN STONE, NO IF AND OR BUTS, THAT'S IT, IT'S FINAL!!!!

                  You complete missed the part where we had put our weapons away and then proceeded to really get ripped... Until you've been there and seen the actions and respect people have SHUT THE HELL UP.

                  Go take a powder will ya.

                  Until you've walked in my shoes GFY

                  Now if you can not understand that not everyone that drinks is a drunk I don't know what to say to you. Maybe go practice your good clean christen values and go diddle a little boy or something

                  you know it's not even worth trying to explain it to you. you probably shot yourself in the foot cleaning your guns or had ammo laying around while playing cleaning your guns, so bugger off, Jesus H Christ...
                  Last edited by kcstott; 07-14-2015, 6:29 PM.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Anemic AL
                    Member
                    • May 2015
                    • 216

                    Thanks for the info, OP. It's always hard trying to find a nice spot.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      pterrell
                      CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                      • Aug 2013
                      • 3576

                      My simple rules are as follows.
                      1. Have a beer at (Insert restaurant here) with your buddies after you're done shooting. Not before or during.
                      2. Pack more trash out than you brought with you. Trust me, someone is always nice enough to leave a bunch of BS laying around for you to pick up.
                      3. Safety first. No jack-assery.
                      4. Have fun!
                      Dear ISIS, Texas is not known for their gun free zones.


                      Patches sold here. I am not affiliated with this page in any way.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        prob
                        Senior Member
                        • Jan 2006
                        • 1355

                        Originally posted by kcstott
                        See thats the issue with you panty wastes...
                        It's pantywaist, not panty waste. If you're going to use a pejorative, you should at least get it right.

                        NO THIS IS THE RULE, IT'S ETCHED IN STONE, NO IF AND OR BUTS, THAT'S IT, IT'S FINAL!!!!
                        Right. Except when you and your buddies are drinking on the firing line. Then it's not the rule.

                        You complete missed the part where we had put our weapons away and then proceeded to really get ripped... Until you've been there and seen the actions and respect people have SHUT THE HELL UP.
                        No, actually I didn't miss it because you didn't write it. Let me refresh your alcohol besotted memory:

                        "What I do not do is get wasted and shoot. Yeah i've been to the shoot & Q in San Diego and we were drinking at the firing line but in everyone defense we were all self regulating each other and there were plenty of stone cold sober people there to call anyone out if they got a little to damn tipsy and wanted to shoot. Those guys there I would drink and shoot with any day of the week. Because we are responsible adults and we knew our limits. as people started to get loaded the guns got unloaded and put away. very simple."

                        What you've written simply implies that you've already begun drinking before putting your firearms away. Is buzzed shooting anything like buzzed driving?

                        "That said that is the only place i'm guilt of alcohol consumption and use of firearms"


                        I'm pretty sure that with the above statement you unequivocally admit to drinking while using firearms. Actually, I'm not just pretty sure, I'm positive.

                        Go take a powder will ya.

                        Until you've walked in my shoes GFY

                        GFY, now what could that possibly mean? Is it another of your simplistic and childish epithets?

                        Remember, "The foolish and wicked practice of profane cursing and swearing is a vice so mean and low that every person of sense and character detests and despises it." - George Washington


                        Now if you can not understand that not everyone that drinks is a drunk I don't know what to say to you. Maybe go practice your good clean christen values and go diddle a little boy or something

                        In point of fact, I'm an atheist. And I do drink. Just not on a firing line while shooting firearms. And I would appreciate it if you did not project your fantasies of homosexual pedophilia onto me. And by the way, its CHRISTIAN, not christen.

                        you know it's not even worth trying to explain it to you. you probably shot yourself in the foot cleaning your guns or had ammo laying around while playing cleaning your guns, so bugger off, Jesus H Christ...

                        And what a fantastic way to make your point in an argument - make stuff up! I'll have to remember that technique whenever I endeavor to engage someone in future debates. Thanks for the tip.
                        ...

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          kcstott
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Nov 2011
                          • 11796

                          Ya know I try to explain things so people can use public land to the fullest extent, Explain some pet peeves I have, Explain some personal experience I have. Thats all but I know when in a hole, quit digging. So to you. Good day sir
                          Last edited by kcstott; 07-16-2015, 5:29 PM.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            elmontemike
                            Senior Member
                            • Aug 2009
                            • 899

                            Originally posted by pterrell
                            My simple rules are as follows.
                            1. Have a beer at (Insert restaurant here) with your buddies after you're done shooting. Not before or during.
                            2. Pack more trash out than you brought with you. Trust me, someone is always nice enough to leave a bunch of BS laying around for you to pick up.
                            3. Safety first. No jack-assery.
                            4. Have fun!
                            Thanks for the info OP. It is greatly appreciated.
                            It seems lately, that a lot of people on calguns are way to sensitive and are easily offended. They would rather argue instead of helping out the fellow members. I know we all have bad days but come on guys !!!

                            And we all know that every gun safety course will teach guns and booze do not mix. So whats if the OP states the fact with a little humor.
                            sigpic

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              freonr22
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              • Dec 2008
                              • 12948

                              Lol
                              sigpic
                              Originally posted by dantodd
                              We will win. We are right. We will never stop fighting.
                              Originally posted by bwiese
                              They don't believe it's possible, but then Alison didn't believe there'd be 350K - 400K OLLs in CA either.
                              Originally posted by louisianagirl
                              Our fate is ours alone to decide as long as we remain armed heavily enough to dictate it.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1