Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Finished first 80% lower...9mm AR

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • SVT-40
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Jan 2008
    • 12907

    Finished first 80% lower...9mm AR

    I finished my first 80% lower this morning. It was a PSA 7075-T6 9mm lower from Bangitammo. I used the 80% Arms jig with a Ridgid router which functioned perfectly. No snags or issues. I used a drill press to drill out the 3/8 holes first that took about 15 minutes.. The "milling" with the router took about 2 1/2 to 3 hours. the trigger hole and pin holes took about 20 minutes...De-burring took another ten minutes. The safety was very tight after drilling, I figured that was due to drilling each side separately. So I chucked up a 3/8 bit in my hand drill, and ran it through both sides... Solved the issue.

    The trigger pocket ended up at 1.248" and the rear shelf measured out at .6285

    I used JAE's method to cut the trigger hole. It came out perfect.










    Last edited by SVT-40; 02-08-2015, 11:40 AM.
    Poke'm with a stick!


    Originally posted by fiddletown
    What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.
  • #2
    SVT-40
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Jan 2008
    • 12907

    One other note. I switched the round router base plate out for the square plate which is included with the Ridgid router. This allowed me to more easily and uniformly tilt the router into the jig keeping it square to the jig each time I used the end mill.
    Poke'm with a stick!


    Originally posted by fiddletown
    What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.

    Comment

    • #3
      JAE
      Member
      • Nov 2013
      • 267

      That looks great! When fitting the LPK keep a file set handy sometimes the FCG comes out a little narrow. That said a hand fitted piece functions great (and probably better than a production one). Nice to see I've been able to contribute!

      I've stopped helping folks do builds for the current time because the last guy trashed my jig, said he would send me parts, and never came through. He said the jig maker would send me parts or something but I don't work for those guys. So I like to help but I won't take money out of pocket to do it. Next time I do a lower I'll post it up. Right now need to budget for new side plates the last guys totally screwed them.

      Comment

      • #4
        SoberClurichaun
        Senior Member
        • Aug 2013
        • 1437

        The walls look clean aside from a little bit of machining marks. Good job!
        "The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny."
        -Aesop's Fables The Wolf and the Lamb.

        WTS Toth Tools, AK misc, and Streamlight TLR3
        http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...3#post19963273

        Comment

        • #5
          vhram
          Senior Member
          • Jun 2009
          • 756

          Looks really good !

          Comment

          • #6
            SVT-40
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Jan 2008
            • 12907

            Originally posted by JAE
            That looks great! When fitting the LPK keep a file set handy sometimes the FCG comes out a little narrow. That said a hand fitted piece functions great (and probably better than a production one). Nice to see I've been able to contribute!
            I've built about 20 AK's so I'm very accustom to hand fitting!!

            And yes your trigger pocket method was simple and easy! Thanks again!!

            Originally posted by SoberClurichaun
            The walls look clean aside from a little bit of machining marks. Good job!
            I was pleasantly surprised at the lack of machining marks left by the end mill. That said I was very gentle when running the end mill against the jig walls, so as to impart as little flex as possible into the spinning end mill. It did result in very smooth walls.
            Poke'm with a stick!


            Originally posted by fiddletown
            What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.

            Comment

            • #7
              Hardwarejunkie
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2009
              • 840

              Nice job OP! Looks better than my first one.
              I've got one of these on order from Bangitammo and an upper from PSA - can't wait!

              Comment

              • #8
                Bralowe
                CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                CGN Contributor
                • Aug 2014
                • 734

                Very nice work!

                Comment

                • #9
                  biglou
                  Senior Member
                  • May 2007
                  • 1317

                  Came out nice. What speed setting did you use on the router ?

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Lex5626
                    Member
                    • Jul 2012
                    • 184

                    Looks Good! I finished mine in December. My favorite build so far!

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      maurice05
                      Senior Member
                      • Mar 2007
                      • 796

                      I really need to stop procrastinating and buy a jig, beautiful work
                      Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson don't speak for all black people!

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        SVT-40
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Jan 2008
                        • 12907

                        Originally posted by biglou
                        Came out nice. What speed setting did you use on the router ?
                        I used the "3" speed setting...
                        Poke'm with a stick!


                        Originally posted by fiddletown
                        What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          xsefan
                          Senior Member
                          • Jun 2013
                          • 1931

                          Cool build. I haven't seen a 9mm. 80%. Don't open the holes to much. If you paint or anadize it will be blasted first. That might open them a bit.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          UA-8071174-1