Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Which Rotary Table for my Mill?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • VaderSpade
    Vendor/Retailer
    • Mar 2009
    • 4274

    Which Rotary Table for my Mill?

    I have a chance to pick up a nice old Rotary Table for my mill. A good friend has two and said I could take one. Both seem to be good old heavy duty tables.
    One is 8" the other is 12".
    Which is best for gunsmithing and what are some of the operations I would need one for? Thanks
  • #2
    ROOS_HAPPENS
    Member
    • May 2011
    • 105

    How's your back?

    I assume these are manual, not CNC, rotary tables.
    A 12" rotary table is certainly doable, unless you've got back problems.
    I'd say go for whichever one is nicest, rather than size...or, if one's a horiz/vert & the other isn't, snag that one.

    Comment

    • #3
      kcstott
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Nov 2011
      • 11796

      Id get it the 12" you can always do smaller work with it but not larger work on the smaller table.

      As for uses. It can be set up as a crude indexing head. Some rotary tables will take dividing plates so it can be used further in place of a dividing head just with slightly less accuracy. A rotary table is just one more tool in the box. Time consuming to setup but used correctly worth it.

      Comment

      • #4
        VaderSpade
        Vendor/Retailer
        • Mar 2009
        • 4274

        Thanks,

        My friend is getting old (88) and will probably never use either again but the 8" would be easier for him to handle while I can get some benefit from the 12"

        I've known him for 50 years and we both know where we can reach the other so I'll take the 12" and do a little playing.

        Comment

        Working...
        UA-8071174-1