Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

1911 slide not "closing"

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Calpoly93
    Junior Member
    • Apr 2009
    • 27

    1911 slide not "closing"

    I posted this on some other forums, but thought I'd widen my search..First off, I am no gunsmith, by any stretch. I've changed grips and that's about it!

    I have a Colt XSE with maybe 500 rounds through it, and just had some nicer sights put on it. When I got my slide back (I only sent the slide in) with new sights from the 'smith, I noticed that when I put it back together, the slide does not completely close... about 1/32" or less overhang. Enough to block the engagement of the safety, but it will fire.


    I've disassembled it, and cleaned it - nothing out of place or damaged to the naked eye- reassembled it several times. I noticed the frame, slide, slide stop and barrel will lock and the safety works. Add the barrel bushing and it won't. Even if I add the spring. What could be the problem?
    Thanks in advance!
  • #2
    Bt Doctur
    Member
    • Jan 2010
    • 471

    The barrel bushing is a bit too long. Been thru this . Had to retrieve my slide from the range floor when the ears sheared off the bushing
    Last edited by Bt Doctur; 12-19-2014, 6:45 PM.

    Comment

    • #3
      Fjold
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Oct 2005
      • 23067

      Is the front sight staked? The gunsmith could have left to much material under the sight which is pushing down on the bushing causing it to bind on the barrel.
      Frank

      One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375




      Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF

      Comment

      • #4
        SonofWWIIDI
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Nov 2011
        • 21583

        Did it go back to the manufacturer for the new sights? Or somewhere else?

        Is it possible that while clamping it in the device used to hold it that the end of the slide was slightly tweaked? Does it move freely to the rear. (Boy that sounds like a basement question ).

        Is there enough lube to allow the slide to move forward all the way? (Had this problem the other night at the range, a bit of lube on the rails fixed it).

        And any of the stuff already posted.

        Good luck!
        Sorry, not sorry.
        🎺

        Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!

        Comment

        • #5
          Twystd1
          Superfluous
          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
          • Oct 2009
          • 2692

          Did you by chance use a Novak front sight? As you have to drill the slide and add a pin.

          Pull the slide and the bushing and look under the front sight.

          -T

          Comment

          • #6
            Calpoly93
            Junior Member
            • Apr 2009
            • 27

            Hopefully dropbox works..
            Thanks for all the responses guys!
            I don't see any evidence of anything on the inside of the slide... The slide shows no marks or anything on the inside, or any sign of staking/brazing



            t was done by the manufacturer and it is a novak sight. Now I am wondering if they gave me a different slide!

            If it is the bushing, it should have been too long before the sight replacement, I would assume.
            There is enough lube, i drowned it in RemOil as I read to do in another thread

            Comment

            • #7
              ar15barrels
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Jan 2006
              • 57182

              Originally posted by Calpoly93
              Now I am wondering if they gave me a different slide!
              That would certainly change things.

              If you have gauge pins, check the lockup of your barrel and see how far off it is.
              Randall Rausch

              AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
              Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
              Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
              Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
              Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

              Comment

              • #8
                JRJCP
                Senior Member
                • Sep 2010
                • 695

                Originally posted by Calpoly93
                It was done by the manufacturer and it is a novak sight. Now I am wondering if they gave me a different slide!
                Pictures will help, is that your slide? Did they machined the slide or just change the sights?
                Repair, Perform services and Custom work on 1911s

                Comment

                • #9
                  Calpoly93
                  Junior Member
                  • Apr 2009
                  • 27

                  Pictures (dropbox)

                  OK, here are some photos of the slide...
                  Attached Files

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    ar15barrels
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Jan 2006
                    • 57182

                    Originally posted by Calpoly93
                    OK, here are some photos of the slide...
                    Did the slide ALWAYS have a dovetailed front sight on it or did the slide originally have a staked front sight?
                    Randall Rausch

                    AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                    Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                    Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                    Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                    Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Calpoly93
                      Junior Member
                      • Apr 2009
                      • 27

                      Mystery solved. A local gunsmith quickly determined that it was a new slide, that the barrel had not been fit to in the hood area.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        gemini1
                        Senior Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 2230

                        Huh? so the manufacturer (Colt) that changed the sight, sent you back a different slide?

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          ar15barrels
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Jan 2006
                          • 57182

                          Originally posted by gemini1
                          Huh? so the manufacturer (Colt) that changed the sight, sent you back a different slide?
                          That's actually pretty amazing to me that someone would replace a SLIDE without the rest of the gun there to check the fit of the barrel and the frame.

                          If someone sent me a slide and I was going to need to replace it as part of the job, I would make sure the rest of the gun was in my shop and that I had a chance to check the fit of everything before returning the gun.

                          The chance of the slide being replaced was EXACTLY why I asked if the original sights were staked on.
                          The new slide shows no signs of ever having had a front sight staked into it.
                          Randall Rausch

                          AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                          Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                          Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                          Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                          Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Gunsmith Dan
                            Senior Member
                            • Apr 2012
                            • 1445

                            Ohh I have seen some really good ones ...... how about a stainless 1911 that went for repair and the factory installed all of the internal parts, trigger and hammer with blued parts instead of stainless.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              hawaii five-0
                              Senior Member
                              • Dec 2007
                              • 707

                              Novak did that, or Colt?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1