Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Is anodizing really necessary?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • JagerTroop
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2007
    • 3922

    Is anodizing really necessary?

    I just built an 80% AR lower, and I was wondering if I really need to anodize it. I understand that a hardcoat ano job will help prevent the fcg holes from egging over time, but how much? If I use GunKote, or something similar, am I setting myself up for a sloppy receiver in the next 1000 rds or so?

    I am willing to sacrifice the aesthetic of ano, for instant gratification. Also, this is my first 80%, so it's a bit of a learning experience. My next one will get the royal treatment.

    Thanks,
    Eli
    -A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.*
    *participation may vary by location. Not valid in California.

    Originally posted by ar15barrels
    And yes, this IS gun school.
    Welcome to class.
    Originally posted by bdsmchs
    There is life outside of Calguns
    Originally posted by IrishPirate
    stop looking to the internet to tell you everything you should do.....sack up and just do what you want!!!!!
  • #2
    chuck762
    Senior Member
    • Jun 2006
    • 1049

    If you don't mind your finish scratching easily then a home applied finish will work. I don't think wear will be the issue. I have tried alumahide, gun coat and cerra coat on bare aluminum items and all scratch fairly easily.

    Maybe with the bake on coatings I didn't so something right but the alumahide is pretty straight forward to apply and it scratches and wears although it seems a little tougher than the other 2 coatings since it is a lot thicker.

    Comment

    • #3
      JagerTroop
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2007
      • 3922

      That's what I suspected, but wanted to be sure. Like I said, this is a R&D lower... ie., there are about 4 or 5 things I will do differently next time. Live and learn.
      -A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.*
      *participation may vary by location. Not valid in California.

      Originally posted by ar15barrels
      And yes, this IS gun school.
      Welcome to class.
      Originally posted by bdsmchs
      There is life outside of Calguns
      Originally posted by IrishPirate
      stop looking to the internet to tell you everything you should do.....sack up and just do what you want!!!!!

      Comment

      • #4
        DB2
        Senior Member
        • Oct 2006
        • 1542

        If your going to finish it at home, I recommened using some thing you bake. Norrels you need to cook after you apply. I did an upper, lower, charging handle and small parts with it. It is just as durable as anodizing. The only section with any wear is right behind the ejection port due to the empty cases. It has not come off, just mared. Understandable though, anything that gets hit 1000 times is gonna have marks no matter what.

        Comment

        • #5
          r08ert209cali
          Senior Member
          • Jan 2008
          • 1534

          duracote it

          I dunno, I've never been much for guns. I mean, sure, we have the usual gun by the door, another near the TV, one in the kitchen, and another in the bedroom...and several others laying around. For the most part though, we keep our home free of guns. We are peace loving folks.

          Comment

          • #6
            jacques
            Senior Member
            • Jan 2008
            • 2478

            Originally posted by r08ert209cali
            duracote it
            +1
            Duracoat or Durabake is the way to go. A very tough finish. If you use Duracoat, you will need to let it sit for 3-weeks to fully cure. Durabake is much faster. You can get either one in a spray can.

            Comment

            Working...
            UA-8071174-1