Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Parkerizing Nitrded barrel

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • bodiebill
    Member
    • Apr 2007
    • 301

    Parkerizing Nitrded barrel

    Any problems. Involved in parkerizing a Nitrided barrel?
  • #2
    ar15barrels
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Jan 2006
    • 57182

    The sandblaster will cut through the nitriding and then the raw steel will park just fine.
    Randall Rausch

    AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
    Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
    Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
    Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
    Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

    Comment

    • #3
      Gunsmith Dan
      Senior Member
      • Apr 2012
      • 1445

      Glocks slides are Pakerized over a Nitrided finish .... so yes definitely. In fact a nitride surface has a fine etched surface so no need outside of degreasing and solvent cleaning before Parkerizing, just make sure the surface is contamination free and wear powder free gloves when handling it.
      Last edited by Gunsmith Dan; 08-04-2014, 8:53 PM.

      Comment

      • #4
        Nathan Krynn
        Senior Member
        • Oct 2009
        • 2107

        I feel like I am missing something but what would the point of this be?
        Nathan
        Tactical Machining
        1270 Biscayne Blvd
        Deland, FL 32724
        Phone 386-490-4464
        fax 386-490-4890

        Comment

        • #5
          kcstott
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Nov 2011
          • 11796

          Nate,
          Hang around here long enough and you will see dumber thing happening.

          Comment

          • #6
            ar15barrels
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Jan 2006
            • 57182

            Originally posted by Nathan Krynn
            I feel like I am missing something but what would the point of this be?
            This question was brought to you by the same crowd that would want pre-finished 80% frames...
            Randall Rausch

            AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
            Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
            Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
            Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
            Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

            Comment

            • #7
              Gunsmith Dan
              Senior Member
              • Apr 2012
              • 1445

              Nitrited finishes comes out the same color as steel so unless you like steel grey finishes you need to put something over it to make it black. Nitrited finishes are not rust proof but rust resistant so they still need to be oiled for protection against corrosion.

              That might be why the OP wants to parkerize the barrel, Glock been doing it since they started so unless you want to call them stupid there would be valid reasons to do it.

              Comment

              • #8
                kcstott
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Nov 2011
                • 11796

                Well I personally dislike Glock with copious amounts of distane But for other reasons. Good weapons I just don't like them at all.

                Personal opinions aside yeah Nitriding is just ever so slightly darker then raw heat treated steel. very light charcoal gray.

                I've kinda given up on asking why anymore unless it's a safety issue. I don't care what the guy does with his gun.

                Comment

                • #9
                  johnjohn301
                  Member
                  • Jun 2010
                  • 148

                  And a good example of all the self-serving, greater-than-thou, butt-sucking, snarky attitude that these, and so many other forums of the type become known for. Good job fellas!
                  Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
                  Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  UA-8071174-1