Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

locktite question and rocksett

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • el tardo
    Banned
    • Sep 2012
    • 1094

    locktite question and rocksett

    is rocksett in between red and green locktite as far as hold.(green beaning stronger)
    i know nothing about rocksett

    thanks
  • #2
    -hanko
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    CGN Contributor
    • Jul 2002
    • 14174



    Link above from arf...see the last post.

    Locktite-wise, green, blue, and red have increasing holding power, in that order.

    What's your application???

    hth
    True wealth is time. Time to enjoy life.

    Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

    Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

    A man's soul can be judged by the way he treats his dog. Charles Doran

    Comment

    • #3
      bigcalidave
      CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
      • Jan 2009
      • 4489

      Purple is low strength. Green is the high strength stuff. Green is amazingly strong. Red usually works for most stuff. I had rocksett fail on a very well cleaned and properly applied and cured compensator on my open pistol, switched to loctite green and it never moves.
      ...

      Comment

      • #4
        ar15barrels
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Jan 2006
        • 57175

        Originally posted by bigcalidave
        Purple is low strength. Green is the high strength stuff. Green is amazingly strong. Red usually works for most stuff. I had rocksett fail on a very well cleaned and properly applied and cured compensator on my open pistol, switched to loctite green and it never moves.
        What number is your green?
        The green I have is "sleeve retaining compound", not "threadlocking compound".
        Randall Rausch

        AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
        Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
        Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
        Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
        Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

        Comment

        • #5
          ar15barrels
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Jan 2006
          • 57175

          Originally posted by el tardo
          is rocksett in between red and green locktite as far as hold.(green beaning stronger)
          Rocksett is nowhere near as strong as red, but it's really good for high temperatures.

          Randall Rausch

          AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
          Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
          Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
          Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
          Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

          Comment

          • #6
            Anthracis
            Banned
            • Jan 2014
            • 966

            Red works for me. Stuff I used it on hasn't budged a Nm!

            Comment

            • #7
              Gunsmith Dan
              Senior Member
              • Apr 2012
              • 1445

              If you use Rocksett on Aluminum parts pretty much permanently stuck because by the time you can torque it off the aluminum will warp ( like some of my customers who used Rocksett to attached their forearms to the barrel nut).

              The Loctite does have a higher strength than Rocksett but a MUCH lower temp to get it loose compared to Rocksett.

              Comment

              • #8
                bigcalidave
                CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                • Jan 2009
                • 4489

                You aren't supposed to take rocksett off with torque, it gets chunky. You let it soak in water.

                Randall, green 638 and 680 are called retaining compounds but I've used them forever as threadlockers and so have many many people before me. They are much stronger than red 271, and require more heat to fail. I can fail red loctite in a few minutes on my open glock compensator, rocksett came off after a day. Green has been through matches and thousands of rounds without a failure. 638 will take the slop out of threads or loose pins as a bonus.
                Green 290 is the medium strength wicking threadlocker, although I've found 680 wicks as well.
                I just test em, if they fail, they don't get used for that again. Not like I'm building airplane engines here, if my compensator spins loose I notice quickly. On cars, its not a big deal. You use what is close to correct
                ...

                Comment

                • #9
                  ar15barrels
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Jan 2006
                  • 57175

                  Originally posted by bigcalidave
                  Randall, green 638 and 680 are called retaining compounds but I've used them forever as threadlockers and so have many many people before me. They are much stronger than red 271, and require more heat to fail. I can fail red loctite in a few minutes on my open glock compensator, rocksett came off after a day. Green has been through matches and thousands of rounds without a failure. 638 will take the slop out of threads or loose pins as a bonus.
                  Green 290 is the medium strength wicking threadlocker, although I've found 680 wicks as well.
                  I think the green I keep around is 290.
                  I buy the higher temp red, preferring the thicker viscosity that stays where you put it so my red is 266 which has done better for me than 271.
                  You could also look at 2620 for your glock as that one is rated to 650f.
                  Randall Rausch

                  AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                  Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                  Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                  Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                  Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    bigcalidave
                    CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                    • Jan 2009
                    • 4489

                    I still haven't had the current application fail, but if it does I'll keep using this 680. Very happy with it right now. I'm assuming I had a bad tube of rocksett, came from AAC. That stuff just didn't work at all when I started shooting it hot. At least loctite will melt and reseal. The rocksett fails into crud on the threads with no strength.

                    I haven't seen 2620, I'll try and find a tube.
                    ...

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      tr6guns
                      Senior Member
                      • Mar 2013
                      • 646

                      I wonder haw Loctite 380 Black Max would work, I have used it to re attach the ventilated rib on shotguns before with great success...

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Germz
                        Vendor/Retailer
                        • Apr 2013
                        • 4691

                        I need to go back and find that thread about the guy who said anyone who uses loctite on a firearm is incompetent.

                        edit: here it is...lol
                        Originally posted by JDay
                        Loctite should never be used on a firearm. Its a sign of incompetence...People who use Loctite on firearms don't know what they're doing. It is not needed and when used on parts that get hot it is pointless since Loctite releases its hold when heated....You just needed to heat it up with a heat gun and it would have come right off. 482f I believe.
                        he was talking about the buffer tube on a semi AR15 getting this hot
                        Last edited by Germz; 07-19-2014, 10:52 AM.
                        Retired Account

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          -hanko
                          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                          CGN Contributor
                          • Jul 2002
                          • 14174

                          Originally posted by Germz
                          I need to go back and find that thread about the guy who said anyone who uses loctite on a firearm is incompetent.

                          he was talking about the buffer tube on a semi AR15 getting this hot
                          The stupid is strong if he's using a thread locking compound on a buffer tube.
                          True wealth is time. Time to enjoy life.

                          Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

                          Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

                          A man's soul can be judged by the way he treats his dog. Charles Doran

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          UA-8071174-1