Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Turk Mauser/ Rem 700 Barrel re-thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • samsbolt390
    Member
    • Mar 2010
    • 154

    Turk Mauser/ Rem 700 Barrel re-thread

    Is there anyone in the East Bay Area or Stockton area that can re-thread a rem700 barrel to fit a Turkish Mauser which is basically a Model 98 with small ring or Model 95 threads. Heck I don't even need them head spaced I'll handle that I just don't have a lathe or I'd turn them myself. I tried Matt Houston in Stockton who said he's not fond of re-threading mausers and Ken at Diablo Valley Gun works but I guess he doesn't own it anymore and they want to send it out which I can do.
    My first choice is Chris at Trinity in Antioch (who is actually in my neighborhood) but In case he doesn't want to I need options. I've also tried to go to Ken Genecko but he has odd hours.
    "A Golf course is willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle Range" Col. Jeff Cooper.

    Diablo Valley Rod and Gun, Sargeant at Arms.
  • #2
    kendog4570
    Calguns Addict
    • Dec 2008
    • 5180

    I can do it for you.
    FFL licensed and insured, 25+ years experience. I am in Aptos, just south of Los Gatos.

    Comment

    • #3
      samsbolt390
      Member
      • Mar 2010
      • 154

      Thanks Kendog, I'll add you to my list your a bit out of driving range... hopefully your price is some where WAY south of the $350 each I was quoted? I just can't drop $700 on two rifles with a newborn on the way. (actually 3 I have a M98 that I can just order a pre threaded barrel for.)
      Just so you know I did some research on you and was VERY impressed with the (Remington?) bolt handle you turned down and threaded on your photobucket acct. excellent work it gives me something to shoot for as an "Amateur" gunsmith.
      Last edited by samsbolt390; 05-28-2014, 11:43 PM.
      "A Golf course is willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle Range" Col. Jeff Cooper.

      Diablo Valley Rod and Gun, Sargeant at Arms.

      Comment

      • #4
        kendog4570
        Calguns Addict
        • Dec 2008
        • 5180

        Originally posted by samsbolt390
        ... I just can't drop $700 on two rifles...

        What is your budget for this work?

        Comment

        • #5
          emptybottle151
          Senior Member
          • Oct 2010
          • 1503

          As a side note, if your savvy with youtube would you mind making a video head spacing it? Got a Turk Mauser matched up with a gun show bolt with a bent handle. Asked iraqveteran8888 but haven't heard back from him.
          sigpic

          Comment

          • #6
            kcstott
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Nov 2011
            • 11796

            Originally posted by emptybottle151
            As a side note, if your savvy with youtube would you mind making a video head spacing it? Got a Turk Mauser matched up with a gun show bolt with a bent handle. Asked iraqveteran8888 but haven't heard back from him.
            Are you planing on replacing the barrel because that is just about the only way to correct head space on the rifle.

            Ii you plan on leaving the existing barrel on there you will need to check the head space with gages and a striped bolt. If you're lucky the headspace will be long and you can then set the barrel back and be good to go. If by chance it is short you will need a pull through reamer or you will have to remove the barrel and chuck it up in the lathe and ream until it is correct.

            As for how to know how deep to ream that is done with your go gage and a depth mic. Measure from the bolt face to the ring, then from the breach face to the shoulder and then from the gage to the breach face. Your numbers on the barrel should add up to the ring to bolt face dimension minus .002" crush factor. Ream the chamber until you reach your correct dimension. Seat the barrel and double check the headspace. Done

            Comment

            • #7
              ar15barrels
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Jan 2006
              • 57182

              Originally posted by kendog4570
              What is your budget for this work?
              I'm going with fiddy dolla will make him holla...
              Randall Rausch

              AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
              Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
              Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
              Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
              Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

              Comment

              • #8
                samsbolt390
                Member
                • Mar 2010
                • 154

                Originally posted by kendog4570
                What is your budget for this work?
                It's a good question since I can't gather enough smith's to count on one hand to work out an average cost without having to "send out" the work. I'd hate to think I'm being cynical thinking $350 is out of line for a barrel re-thread?
                "A Golf course is willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle Range" Col. Jeff Cooper.

                Diablo Valley Rod and Gun, Sargeant at Arms.

                Comment

                • #9
                  kendog4570
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Dec 2008
                  • 5180

                  You are asking for "re-threading", but the actual work in design, setup, and actual spindle time, is just short of cutting a barrel from a profiled blank. I would not take the job on unless I did the final fitting and headspacing. I charge $150 + to install pre-fits. Yours would require more work than that. I know it is just a surplus rifle, but this type of job borders on custom work and can easily cost more than the rifle is worth.
                  I do this type work quite frequently for many gun shops in the SF south bay as well as individual customers. A lot of times, I am the guy that it gets "sent out to".

                  $350 would definitely be on the high side, but sometimes the issues and problems with this type work can line up and really run the meter. If evrything went smooth I would imagine $225-$250 would take care of it.
                  Let me know if I can help.
                  Last edited by kendog4570; 06-02-2014, 11:34 AM.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    samsbolt390
                    Member
                    • Mar 2010
                    • 154

                    I'll send you a pm soon.
                    Thanks Ken.
                    "A Golf course is willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle Range" Col. Jeff Cooper.

                    Diablo Valley Rod and Gun, Sargeant at Arms.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      ar15barrels
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Jan 2006
                      • 57182

                      Originally posted by kendog4570
                      You are asking for "re-threading", but the actual work in design, setup, and actual spindle time, is just short of cutting a barrel from a profiled blank.
                      The word "just" when used by a customer is usually followed by something he thinks is really simple, but does not fully grasp what is really involved...
                      Randall Rausch

                      AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                      Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                      Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                      Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                      Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        samsbolt390
                        Member
                        • Mar 2010
                        • 154

                        "Just" because I Have run a lathe, cut threads, head spaced firearms and run various types of machine working equipment. I Know what I takes to do precision work. I Just don't have that equipment at my disposal any longer.

                        Same ole' Randall.
                        "A Golf course is willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle Range" Col. Jeff Cooper.

                        Diablo Valley Rod and Gun, Sargeant at Arms.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          ar15barrels
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Jan 2006
                          • 57182

                          Originally posted by samsbolt390
                          "Just" because I Have run a lathe, cut threads, head spaced firearms and run various types of machine working equipment. I Know what I takes to do precision work. I Just don't have that equipment at my disposal any longer.

                          Same ole' Randall.
                          Not having access to machines when you are used to having them would be "just" like having your dick cut off and then going to the playboy mansion.
                          Randall Rausch

                          AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                          Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                          Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                          Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                          Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            samsbolt390
                            Member
                            • Mar 2010
                            • 154

                            Once again you've been an invaluable source of information.

                            Thank you Randal !

                            (And your prices on 700barrels.com seem reasonable and it doesn't make a damn bit of sense that you wouldn't mention it.)
                            Last edited by samsbolt390; 06-03-2014, 8:03 AM.
                            "A Golf course is willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle Range" Col. Jeff Cooper.

                            Diablo Valley Rod and Gun, Sargeant at Arms.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              ar15barrels
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              • Jan 2006
                              • 57182

                              Originally posted by samsbolt390
                              your prices on 700barrels.com seem reasonable and it doesn't make a damn bit of sense that you wouldn't mention it.
                              My links are in my signature so I really don't feel I need to go out of my way to post links for work in every thread that they might be appropriate in.
                              Anyone who goes looking for work that I do will eventually find me if they are asking around.
                              I don't have an FFL like Ken so I don't chase receiver work from outside of Southern California.
                              I do same-day service on walk-in jobs.
                              I do a fair share of work for people that drive down here from the bay area for that service...
                              Randall Rausch

                              AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                              Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                              Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                              Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                              Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1