Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

20ft 5.56 key-hole

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • stitchnicklas
    Calguns Addict
    • Feb 2010
    • 7091

    20ft 5.56 key-hole

    saw this at my local range today from the owner of range.

    backstory is the rifle was dinged in major at the crown and cause key-hole at 20 feet...never seen that before

    Attached Files
  • #2
    TKM
    Onward through the fog!
    CGN Contributor
    • Jul 2002
    • 10657

    I've seen brake strikes cause that.

    Who'd be dumb enough to ding a muzzle and continue shooting?
    It's not PTSD, it's nostalgia.

    Comment

    • #3
      stitchnicklas
      Calguns Addict
      • Feb 2010
      • 7091

      Originally posted by TKM
      I've seen brake strikes cause that.

      Who'd be dumb enough to ding a muzzle and continue shooting?
      on-site smith is fixing the barrel for owner.

      chop and thread i believe

      Comment

      • #4
        klewan
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2011
        • 3031

        I'd leave it alone; those would be killer defense rounds at 20 feet. No worry of over penetration, it's still moving at 3000 feet per second; sideways!

        Comment

        • #5
          alexdamm
          Banned
          • May 2011
          • 72

          I wish someone would make one of those super slowmo videos of a keyholeing rifle

          Comment

          • #6
            CRTguns
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2006
            • 2627

            Maybe the barrel is for 6.8 or something.
            ???

            Comment

            • #7
              kcstott
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Nov 2011
              • 11796

              must be a hell of a ding for 20ft??? I don't buy it, not for a minute. a bullet takes a little longer then 20ft to key hole. unless it's a oversized bore for the round. that and when keyholing does usually happen the key holes are consistent not 90˚ to each other. a few degrees yes but not 90.

              a 5.56 will not chamber in a 6.8 SPC the shoulder distance is to far off to allow not to mention rim diameter.
              Last edited by kcstott; 02-16-2014, 1:10 PM.

              Comment

              • #8
                VytamenC Tactical
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2010
                • 2574

                .204 ruger in a 5.56 barrel

                Comment

                • #9
                  kcstott
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Nov 2011
                  • 11796

                  Originally posted by VytamenC Tactical
                  .204 ruger in a 5.56 barrel
                  nope won't chamber, shoulder distance.

                  they do this stuff for a reason.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Alex$
                    Senior Member
                    • Feb 2009
                    • 1233

                    Look at the holes, the bullet is deformed as well as key-holed.

                    I am leaning toward brake strike.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Twystd1
                      Superfluous
                      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                      • Oct 2009
                      • 2692

                      Originally posted by Alex$
                      Look at the holes, the bullet is deformed as well as key-holed.

                      I am leaning toward brake strike.


                      AGREED.

                      -T

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        stitchnicklas
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Feb 2010
                        • 7091

                        crowned barrel no brake,smith' showed me a pic of barrel,would not show up in my camera phone...(pic of a pic)

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          kcstott
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Nov 2011
                          • 11796

                          no pics?? Didn't happen

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            stitchnicklas
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Feb 2010
                            • 7091

                            Originally posted by kcstott
                            no pics?? Didn't happen

                            oh hell no you didn't just say that....

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            UA-8071174-1