Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

AK47/74 Flat questions

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • pterrell
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    • Aug 2013
    • 3576

    AK47/74 Flat questions

    I've been playing with the idea of getting some flats or 80% bent receivers and manufacturing some that I can use with build kits later on. I have a couple questions based upon the research I've been doing.

    1) In the list of tools needed on AK-Builder, the guy said you need a welder or MIG/TIG. Having never built one, I was under the impression that the receiver either had to be bent or drilled. What needs to be welded?

    2) In regards to underfolders, I understand that they need to be pinned in order to be legal. Is to make them CA legal or is that a federal law? Meaning, if I were to drive over to Arizona, can I remove the pin and make it an underfolder?

    3) I have an OPAP already (professionally assembled I guess you would say?), what other build kits should I look at to add to the fun of the collection? I really enjoy building things so projects like these are great.
    Dear ISIS, Texas is not known for their gun free zones.


    Patches sold here. I am not affiliated with this page in any way.
  • #2
    Fern
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2011
    • 1203

    1. The rails, usually spot welded
    2.CA law. Or 30"+ when folded.
    3. Umm. There are many I'd check out the AK centric sites.

    Comment

    • #3
      NorCalXJ
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2012
      • 3992

      1) Depending on either a flat or 80, holes must be drilled(80 require a lot of work and are more of a hassle). The guide rails need to be welded in(MIG, TIG, spot). Flats need to be bent, while 80s are already bent but you must drill all the holes.
      2)CA law says overall length it must be over 30" while folded.
      3)Kits are really up to you. Do you have a preferred country you find interesting? My favorite country is hungarian because im part hungarian.
      Terminal Lance

      Comment

      • #4
        valley82
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2011
        • 2768

        Here is a pic of how to lock an underfolder that is reversible when in a free state.
        You cut a piece of copper pipe the correct length then in half making it a half circle and attach it with a hose clamp.

        I pulled this from the sticky: a tutorial for Ak build parties. at the top of this forum
        It shows pretty much each step in building from a flat with a parts kit.
        Last edited by valley82; 07-01-2017, 10:52 AM.

        Comment

        • #5
          pterrell
          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
          • Aug 2013
          • 3576

          Awesome thanks! I'm not really partial to any country. I picked out a Yugo for my first one (that I bought) just because I read that they were generally more rugged. I just love that any AK can practically be built from parts at home depot. I'll check out that thread! Are there folks in San Diego who (not right away) like helping others build AKs?
          Dear ISIS, Texas is not known for their gun free zones.


          Patches sold here. I am not affiliated with this page in any way.

          Comment

          • #6
            kcstott
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Nov 2011
            • 11796

            Originally posted by pterrell
            I just love that any AK can practically be built from parts at home depot.
            Home depot?? no you won't be getting parts at home depot to build your rifle, What you can find is stuff to help make it legal.

            Comment

            • #7
              ar15barrels
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Jan 2006
              • 57181

              Originally posted by kcstott
              Home depot?? no you won't be getting parts at home depot to build your rifle, What you can find is stuff to help make it legal.
              I think he's talking about the shovel build...
              Randall Rausch

              AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
              Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
              Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
              Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
              Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

              Comment

              • #8
                valley82
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2011
                • 2768

                love the shovel build LOL

                Comment

                • #9
                  pterrell
                  CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                  • Aug 2013
                  • 3576

                  Originally posted by ar15barrels
                  I think he's talking about the shovel build...
                  Yes, I am referring to the shovel build lmao.
                  Dear ISIS, Texas is not known for their gun free zones.


                  Patches sold here. I am not affiliated with this page in any way.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    nicoroshi
                    www.Buildyourownak.info
                    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                    • Jan 2009
                    • 3696

                    I need to go completely off the deep end and build one out of an old toaster or something similar just for giggles.

                    >>>>>My Build Your Own AK eBooks<<<<<

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      pterrell
                      CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                      • Aug 2013
                      • 3576

                      I'll stand way back when you shoot it haha

                      Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
                      Dear ISIS, Texas is not known for their gun free zones.


                      Patches sold here. I am not affiliated with this page in any way.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        scifigunner
                        • May 2012
                        • 468

                        I'd have thought that if you make one from a toaster it would have really long hang fires all the time.
                        Bill of Rights: Void Where Prohibited By Law

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          kcstott
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Nov 2011
                          • 11796

                          Originally posted by ar15barrels
                          I think he's talking about the shovel build...
                          Yeah I forgot about that. sure yeah you can hammer a receiver out of nearly anything i suppose

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Kinsel83
                            Senior Member
                            • Jan 2011
                            • 987

                            Tagged

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              shortround13
                              Member
                              • Feb 2013
                              • 253

                              Originally posted by nicoroshi
                              I need to go completely off the deep end and build one out of an old toaster or something similar just for giggles.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1