Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Revolver, cylinder question.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Bigtwin
    Veteran Member
    • May 2010
    • 2639

    Revolver, cylinder question.

    A good friend of mine recently received a S&W .357 revolver from his grandfather. The pistol has an issue with a particular spot, the trigger is really stiff, once that passes, the trigger is smooth.
    He asked me to look at it(so I did), and I can see where the cylinder has a misshape to the(forgive me I don't know the proper term) part on the cylinder that forces it to rotate!

    I told him that is the first thing I noticed and a possible issue. It was the only thing I could see and attribute to the problem, after all if it was an issue with any other part of the pistol why would the issue be in the same place on the cylinder each time.(also it is noticeable in DA/SA whether you pull the trigger or cock the hammer, it occurs when the cylinder is rotating).

    The question he asked me was "can I just replace cylinder myself or do I need to take it to a gunsmith?" Physically it can be replaced easily, but what about timing? Is it a home job or not? Or does the replacement of the cylinder not have to do with timing?

    Thanks , Chris
    NRA MEMBER
  • #2
    kcstott
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Nov 2011
    • 11796

    On a S&W you should be able to get a new cylinder an drop it in with no issues. ButI would check for end shake and cylinder to barrel gap and be sure these are with in spec. Timing is not an issue as that would be something that no average Gunsmith could adjust anyway.

    Comment

    • #3
      Bigtwin
      Veteran Member
      • May 2010
      • 2639

      Thanks for the reply! I don't know what the adjustment or cause of "timing" is in a revolver, but that was the only thing I could think of that would not make replacement of a cylinder not be drop in!

      I will pass that info on to my friend. I will definitely show him how to check the end play and cyl gap(if not do that myself for him) I at least know how to do that!
      NRA MEMBER

      Comment

      Working...
      UA-8071174-1