Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Touching up a Parkerized AK receiver?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Nate74
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2009
    • 1104

    Touching up a Parkerized AK receiver?

    I have a AK receiver that was parkerized originally. To match the patina of the rest of the rifle, I used some 0000 steel wool and 3in1 oil to remove some and give it a much more aged look. In doing so, I uncovered an area that must have been a MIG weld touch up of an extra hole, or maybe a blow through from the welding of the rails. It is about the size of a pencil eraser and really sticks out against the rest of the surrounding area.

    What are my options to reapply some sort of finish to cover up the weld spot? If I polish it enough, will cold blueing work? How would that blend in with the rest of the parkerized (matt dark grey) finish? Or should I look at some sort of flat black paint option? I also see there is Aluma-Hyde in Parker Grey... that may be the way to go huh?

    Not functionally a huge deal obviously but sort of bugging me and the wife is out with friends so I'm hanging out here :0
    Last edited by Nate74; 08-14-2013, 8:58 PM.
    "There's no reason what so ever that a private citizen needs to own a firearm. Just ask the Armenians, Jews, Cambodians, Tutsis (Rwanda), Bosnian Muslims, etc."
    - Nate74's Dad

    sigpic
  • #2
    ar15barrels
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Jan 2006
    • 57175

    Sounds like a normal spot weld.
    Welds don't take park and bluing the same as un-heat-treated metal does.
    Randall Rausch

    AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
    Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
    Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
    Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
    Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

    Comment

    • #3
      Nate74
      Senior Member
      • Apr 2009
      • 1104

      Thank you. That makes sense and suggests an option that will "cover" the area, rather than chemically alter (park or blue) the area is in order. I'm leaning towards some dark grey engine paint or maybe I'll spring for the dark parkerized grey Alumahyde.
      "There's no reason what so ever that a private citizen needs to own a firearm. Just ask the Armenians, Jews, Cambodians, Tutsis (Rwanda), Bosnian Muslims, etc."
      - Nate74's Dad

      sigpic

      Comment

      • #4
        Citadelgrad87
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Mar 2007
        • 16976

        I paint stuff a lot, I make scale models, and frequently run into a similar issue, a tank or something is painted overall and I find a blemish, glue sopt, etc.

        SOMETIMES I can mix up something that matches, and I use an airbrush,so I can shade and fade, but I just want to warn you that it is likely to look like you painted the area, and you might consider covering the whole reciever rather than try to patch it. Might look better, or at least be open to it if needed if the patch doesn't work.

        Just my two cents.
        Originally posted by tony270
        It's easy to be a keyboard warrior, you would melt like wax in front of me, you wouldn't be able to move your lips.
        Originally posted by repubconserv
        Print it out and frame it for all I care
        Originally posted by el chivo
        I don't need to think at all..
        Originally posted by pjsig
        You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
        XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
        sigpic

        Comment

        • #5
          Nate74
          Senior Member
          • Apr 2009
          • 1104

          Originally posted by Citadelgrad87
          I paint stuff a lot, I make scale models, and frequently run into a similar issue, a tank or something is painted overall and I find a blemish, glue sopt, etc.

          SOMETIMES I can mix up something that matches, and I use an airbrush,so I can shade and fade, but I just want to warn you that it is likely to look like you painted the area, and you might consider covering the whole reciever rather than try to patch it. Might look better, or at least be open to it if needed if the patch doesn't work.

          Just my two cents.
          That's a really good suggestion. Most of my finishing experience has come from doing guitar repairs and it's usually impossible to do spot repairs that totally match.

          If I do the whole receiver, there won't be a need to try to match the other parkerized finish so I may try a rattle can of high temp paint, rather than the Aluma-Hyde in the Dark Grey. Since it's a pretty well worn looking rifle, (original Romy G furniture, etc.) if it's a little fugly, that's OK I guess.
          "There's no reason what so ever that a private citizen needs to own a firearm. Just ask the Armenians, Jews, Cambodians, Tutsis (Rwanda), Bosnian Muslims, etc."
          - Nate74's Dad

          sigpic

          Comment

          • #6
            Nate74
            Senior Member
            • Apr 2009
            • 1104

            I picked up some black caliper paint and did a test piece last night. No way will that work. WAY to black. I could knock the gloss down I'm sure, but the black won't look right with the worn parkerized finish of the rest of the rifle so I broke down and ordered some Aluma-Hyde II in dark parker grey. Shipping was more than the can though...
            "There's no reason what so ever that a private citizen needs to own a firearm. Just ask the Armenians, Jews, Cambodians, Tutsis (Rwanda), Bosnian Muslims, etc."
            - Nate74's Dad

            sigpic

            Comment

            • #7
              ar15barrels
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Jan 2006
              • 57175

              No kind of paint is going to match.
              Just resign yourself to painting the whole gun.
              Then it will all match.
              Randall Rausch

              AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
              Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
              Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
              Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
              Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

              Comment

              • #8
                hellayella
                Calguns Addict
                • Sep 2012
                • 5578

                just have Randall (ar15 barrels) park the damn gun already!

                Comment

                • #9
                  CSACANNONEER
                  CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                  CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                  • Dec 2006
                  • 44094

                  Park it yourself. It's easy.
                  NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
                  California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
                  Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
                  Utah CCW Instructor


                  Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

                  sigpic
                  CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

                  KM6WLV

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Gutz
                    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                    • Jan 2013
                    • 4127

                    Sharpie.
                    1A - 2A= -1A :(

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Citadelgrad87
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Mar 2007
                      • 16976

                      I parked some FALs and painted a couple with Brownells, my last park was so nice and dark that I left it. Took a while to get the seasoning right.

                      Guys, it's a heat treated or welded portion, the reason it's in need of touch up is that it won't take park.

                      I used black paint, can't remember what it's called, but I didn't bake it, it's solvent proof, looks like HK's finish. I did it right over the park. I bought a can of "park color" or dark gray parK of the same stuff, but never tried it. Whatever it;s called, it's in a bright yellow Brownells labelled can.

                      Make sure you use acetone or something to get the metal prepped, oil and any kind of paint are not going to play well.

                      On my favorite, the FAL I kept, I painted the receiver and the barrel after it was together, and the metal on the Izzy handguards, I just took the sights and everything apart, acetoned it, and painted it with the spray can. Light coats. Take your time, let it dry a day and flip it if necessary, lots of items can be hung from wire and end up with a 360 coat without touching it directly. I jemmed small stuff like sight parts into a piece of cardboard so they wouldn't blow around.

                      I've never taken an AK apart, but if you can get the wood off, you're basically done.

                      I wish I had finished this rifle last because I like how the last park came out on the other rifle, but the painted one did come out very nice, again, looks a lot like an HK rifle in texture and amount of gloss, it's not flat like park. The stuff seems bulletproof, I would not hit it with brake cleaner, but CLP and Hoppes doesn't affect it. No scratches, but I am pretty careful.
                      Originally posted by tony270
                      It's easy to be a keyboard warrior, you would melt like wax in front of me, you wouldn't be able to move your lips.
                      Originally posted by repubconserv
                      Print it out and frame it for all I care
                      Originally posted by el chivo
                      I don't need to think at all..
                      Originally posted by pjsig
                      You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
                      XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        ar15barrels
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Jan 2006
                        • 57175

                        Originally posted by Citadelgrad87
                        The stuff seems bulletproof, I would not hit it with brake cleaner, but CLP and Hoppes doesn't affect it.
                        My standard test of all metal finishes is brake cleaner.
                        If I can't grab a can of brake cleaner and blast my gun clean without damaging the finish, I don't want that finish.

                        I really like parkerizing, black oxide, ionbond/melonite for that reason...
                        Randall Rausch

                        AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                        Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                        Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                        Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                        Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Nate74
                          Senior Member
                          • Apr 2009
                          • 1104

                          Originally posted by Citadelgrad87

                          Guys, it's a heat treated or welded portion, the reason it's in need of touch up is that it won't take park.
                          Yup, thus my initial problem I believe Alumahyde II shipped today. My plan is to do the entire receiver, but tape off the trunions and barrel. I'll let it hang for a week or so, then after it's cured, work it with the oil and 0000 to add the appropriate patina. If I go through it, that's fine, I just won't be too aggressive in the area with the weld.

                          I may look into home parkerizing or black oxide kits for future projects, but for this, $32 (1 can + Shipping) is already probably more than I should have spent. Fortunetly I married well
                          "There's no reason what so ever that a private citizen needs to own a firearm. Just ask the Armenians, Jews, Cambodians, Tutsis (Rwanda), Bosnian Muslims, etc."
                          - Nate74's Dad

                          sigpic

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Citadelgrad87
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Mar 2007
                            • 16976

                            Here's a shot of my painted FAL



                            Good luck, post pictures.
                            Originally posted by tony270
                            It's easy to be a keyboard warrior, you would melt like wax in front of me, you wouldn't be able to move your lips.
                            Originally posted by repubconserv
                            Print it out and frame it for all I care
                            Originally posted by el chivo
                            I don't need to think at all..
                            Originally posted by pjsig
                            You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
                            XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
                            sigpic

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Nate74
                              Senior Member
                              • Apr 2009
                              • 1104

                              Nice wood on that FAL. The AlumaHyde should arrive today, though I won't have a weekend free for a few weeks to tackle it. Interestingly, after sanding with 600 grit and then experimenting with different application methods of some Super Blue, I've come pretty close to matching the parkerized finish. I'll try to get some photos posted of how it currently looks. Given the condition of the rest of the gun and the cool patina it currently sports, I'm tempted to just let it go as is. Though the arrival of my Brownell's box may change my mind
                              "There's no reason what so ever that a private citizen needs to own a firearm. Just ask the Armenians, Jews, Cambodians, Tutsis (Rwanda), Bosnian Muslims, etc."
                              - Nate74's Dad

                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1