Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Looking to build first AK

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Derek696
    Junior Member
    • Jun 2013
    • 6

    Looking to build first AK

    Hello,

    Early last year I got really into firearms and built my first AR. Afterwards I purchased a couple of others and I really want to build another rifle. An AK I figured should be next on my list. So, I was told I was better off purchasing a parts kit first- then getting a receiver to match that. Luckily for me there is going to be a gun show up in Del Mar on the 13th and 14th and I fully intend on showing up.

    I could either purchase a kit online, or I was told the Gun Show would probably have a better deal going on. I was curious on what you guys think. How much is a good idea on how much I should spend on a kit?

    I poured about 1300 on my AR. I definitely do not want to cheap out on this project, but I don't have the largest budget in the world. Looking at atlantic they have some brand knew ones going for about a grand.

    Any ideas? I apologize for being a noob and asking a question that I am sure gets asked all the time.

    Thanks
  • #2
    Ryan in SD
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2009
    • 1966

    Building an AK is a lot different than assembling together an AR.

    Its going to cost upwards of 1K in the right tools, most of that being custom made or ak - build specific tooling to make a nice one. Rivet forming is a big factor. This is why its better to go to an AK build party for most people to start out. Ive heard nothing but good things about them. Just be careful with other peoples tools.

    Also, the kit depends on what you want your ak to feel and look like. So thats up to you.

    Also keep in mind the availability of barrels and flats for the kit you choose.

    Comment

    • #3
      baih777
      CGN/CGSSA Contributor
      CGN Contributor
      • Jul 2011
      • 5680

      Originally posted by Ryan in SD
      Building an AK is a lot different than assembling together an AR.

      Its going to cost upwards of 1K in the right tools, most of that being custom made or ak - build specific tooling to make a nice one. Rivet forming is a big factor. This is why its better to go to an AK build party for most people to start out. Ive heard nothing but good things about them. Just be careful with other peoples tools.

      Also, the kit depends on what you want your ak to feel and look like. So thats up to you.

      Also keep in mind the availability of barrels and flats for the kit you choose.
      Ditto. Good honest info. Building a AK is a lot different than "assembling" a AR.

      Look at the AK47. M10 on the Atlantic website. It is a good deal at the new lower price. Before the panic they were $599. I was looking for one then the panic hit.
      Explore a wide selection of firearms, ammunition, and tactical gear. Find high-quality, affordable weapons and accessories with fast shipping and expert support
      Last edited by baih777; 06-29-2013, 7:16 AM. Reason: more info
      Been gone too long. It's been 15 to 20 years since i had to shelf my guns. Those early years sucked.
      I really miss the good old Pomona Gun Shows.
      I'm Back.

      Comment

      • #4
        nicoroshi
        www.Buildyourownak.info
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • Jan 2009
        • 3696

        +1 on the build party idea.
        Budget hinges on what kit you want.
        Arms of America has m92 Yugo Krinks in the $700-$900 range (high end build) or Egyptian Maddi in the $380 range ( standard AKM type build).

        Building used to be cheaper than buying but that ship has sailed.
        Expect to pay about the same price to buy or build now.
        The advantage to building is you get to be your own quality control when you build, and its my firm belief that you can build a better gun than you can buy.
        You also get that "I built this with my own two hands" feeling when you build.
        I build all my rifles for the reasons mentioned above.
        Be warned. It's addictive.
        Have fun
        Nico

        >>>>>My Build Your Own AK eBooks<<<<<

        Comment

        • #5
          Derek696
          Junior Member
          • Jun 2013
          • 6

          Appreciate the replies. The ar I assembled (thanks for the correction) because I wanted to know what piece went where and it be easier for me to not rely on anyone. Plus I liked the "this is custom to me, I made it" kind of thing.

          Ill look up this build party thank you.

          Comment

          • #6
            Derek696
            Junior Member
            • Jun 2013
            • 6

            Maadi or Romanian I figured would be a good start.
            I just noticed barrels normally didn't come with and can be a pain

            Comment

            • #7
              Tonymin
              Senior Member
              • Mar 2013
              • 768

              I just built this Maadi from a kit and AK-builder flat. Shoots great. Lots of fun. Watch out, dangerously addictive...

              sigpic
              Looking for locally for sale Nagant revolver

              Comment

              • #8
                56Chevy
                Senior Member
                • Jul 2007
                • 1872

                Here is a breakdown of what it cost me to build one:
                1) Maadi parts kit (less barrel and receiver): $299
                2) Pre-bent 80% receiver (next time I'll try a flat, because this required a lot of cutting and grinding): $80
                3) Tapco trigger: $30
                4) New Barrel: $175
                5) Monsterman Grip (to run featureless): $50
                You could go with a maglock for $20.
                6) Help from an experienced builder with all of the tools to populate the barrel, etc.: $150

                It cost me $784. When you look at shipping it's more like $800. It did give the builder some extra cash, and I bought some extra parts, so it was probably more like $1200.

                You can get a nice Maadi From Atlantic for $875 (probably more like $1000 after shipping and transfer fees), and it will probably look much cleaner than mine, but I learned quite a bit from the build. The learning experience made it worth it for me, and will help me with my other 3 ready-made AK's.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Atlantic Firearms.com
                  Vendor/Retailer
                  • Dec 2007
                  • 852

                  If you have questions on AK rifles please feel free to email us @ sales@atlanticfirearms.com we will do our best to answer your questions .



                  Atlantic Firearms.com
                  410 352 5183
                  sales@atlanticfirearms.com
                  www.atlanticfirearms.com

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    CzechSF
                    Member
                    • Jan 2013
                    • 237

                    A one on one class from a reputable builder sounds better than going to a build party to me.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      hellayella
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Sep 2012
                      • 5578

                      do both...

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Yemff
                        Senior Member
                        • Nov 2010
                        • 1111

                        I'd be very surprised if there were any good deals on kits at the del Mar show, or any kits for that matter.
                        Charlie don't surf!

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Derek696
                          Junior Member
                          • Jun 2013
                          • 6

                          That's what I was thinking. I'd love to get the experience and go to a build party (if I can figure out how to get in and what I need before hand) or go towards Atlantic firearms for a new one

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            supremeXorio
                            Junior Member
                            • Apr 2012
                            • 43

                            Originally posted by nicoroshi
                            +1 on the build party idea.
                            Budget hinges on what kit you want.
                            Arms of America has m92 Yugo Krinks in the $700-$900 range (high end build) or Egyptian Maddi in the $380 range ( standard AKM type build).

                            Building used to be cheaper than buying but that ship has sailed.
                            Expect to pay about the same price to buy or build now.
                            The advantage to building is you get to be your own quality control when you build, and its my firm belief that you can build a better gun than you can buy.
                            You also get that "I built this with my own two hands" feeling when you build.
                            I build all my rifles for the reasons mentioned above.
                            Be warned. It's addictive.
                            Have fun
                            Nico
                            Although the cost is similar now a days as Nico stated I would like to say the experience ,lessons,skill, and fun you have with building is priceless and it is worth more in the long run. Thanx to Nico and his expertise he was able to get me hooked ha and don't regret it one bit. Can't wait to make my next build =) and for those who are looking to build might as well buy a kit now before the prices keep rising =/

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Dan FS71
                              Member
                              • Jun 2009
                              • 403

                              I'd find a kit with the factory barrel for the 1st build, and look on the various boards. They are out there and take alot of the worry/skill & tools needed to getr done.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1