Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

5.45X39 AR--should I use this upper?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • VegasND
    Calguns Addict
    • Aug 2007
    • 8621

    5.45X39 AR--should I use this upper?

    I've got a crappy 16" flat top upper I bought used (and pretty cheap). I have taken off the handguards and can't find any marks on it to indicate who made it. This thing is just not reliable--it tends to short stroke and jam. I've followed instructions here and ARF but have only improved the situation, not made the thing dependable.


    I know there seemed to be some interest in this a while back; what is the status on converting AR uppers to 5.45? Who is doing this--and if anyone is, would it be false economy to have this no-name upper converted (any numbers on cost)? Are these uppers working well? I'd just use it for plinking so would like to avoid the expense of the one listed from S&W. Any feedback or information would be appreciated.
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.
    --River Tam
  • #2
    Blue
    Calguns Addict
    • Oct 2005
    • 8072

    Here's a link to a discussion on AR15.com about it.
    Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
    Let my aim be true and my hand faster
    than those who would seek to destroy me.
    Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
    Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
    And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home, let me die in an empty pile of brass.
    sigpic
    NRA Member

    Comment

    • #3
      VegasND
      Calguns Addict
      • Aug 2007
      • 8621

      Originally posted by Blue
      Here's a link to a discussion on AR15.com about it.
      http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.htm...=326139&page=9
      Thanks, I had read that but was hoping for something new. And, honestly, the 'overhead' on the comments here about gunsmithing and dealing with modifications/problems tends to be a bit less shrill than ARF sometimes gets.
      People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.
      --River Tam

      Comment

      • #4
        cseabass
        Senior Member
        • Mar 2006
        • 967

        smith and wesson released a 5.45 upper recently

        Comment

        • #5
          ar15barrels
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Jan 2006
          • 57179

          Originally posted by cseabass
          smith and wesson released a 5.45 upper recently
          Link?
          What are they doing for magazines?
          Randall Rausch

          AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
          Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
          Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
          Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
          Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

          Comment

          • #6
            ar15barrels
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Jan 2006
            • 57179

            Originally posted by VegasND
            what is the status on converting AR uppers to 5.45?
            New barrel and the bolt needs to be opened up and shortened.
            The firing pin could also be re-worked instead of shortening the bolt.
            Randall Rausch

            AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
            Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
            Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
            Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
            Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

            Comment

            • #7
              double_action
              Senior Member
              • Oct 2005
              • 1203

              Originally posted by ar15barrels
              Link?
              What are they doing for magazines?


              sigpic

              Originally posted by Legasat
              Glocks blow up, SIGs have a high bore axis, Beretta locking blocks break, Ruger is anti-gun, 1911s are unreliable, and HK hates you. Get over it.

              Comment

              • #8
                VegasND
                Calguns Addict
                • Aug 2007
                • 8621

                Originally posted by ar15barrels
                New barrel and the bolt needs to be opened up and shortened.
                The firing pin could also be re-worked instead of shortening the bolt.
                That's what I'd heard on ARF and here. What I want to know is if you, or someone else, is doing conversions. And, if they are, is it worthwhile? Standard 30rd mags are supposed
                to work ok w/27 rd 5.45. Some have said a new/modified follower is needed.

                Would I be better off to just dump this thing, bite the bullet, and pay for a complete upper. As far as I know, Smith & Wesson and Olympic are the only ones currently cataloging these. Only one who I know of that lists both:

                People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.
                --River Tam

                Comment

                • #9
                  ar15barrels
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Jan 2006
                  • 57179

                  Originally posted by VegasND
                  That's what I'd heard on ARF and here. What I want to know is if you, or someone else, is doing conversions. And, if they are, is it worthwhile? Standard 30rd mags are supposed
                  to work ok w/27 rd 5.45. Some have said a new/modified follower is needed.
                  You can't "convert" the barrel.
                  You need a new barrel.
                  You could convert the bolt and firing pin.

                  I have made a couple of 5.45 uppers and I never got more than 8 rounds to stack properly.
                  More than 8 and they would nose down into the mag/receiver.
                  Randall Rausch

                  AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                  Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                  Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                  Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                  Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    VegasND
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Aug 2007
                    • 8621

                    Originally posted by ar15barrels
                    You can't "convert" the barrel.
                    You need a new barrel.
                    You could convert the bolt and firing pin.

                    I have made a couple of 5.45 uppers and I never got more than 8 rounds to stack properly.
                    More than 8 and they would nose down into the mag/receiver.
                    Thanks for the info; it's nice to hear from someone who does this work. I know the barrel must be replaced, but I didn't know about the magazine problem. Does this mean, in your opinion, the conversion isn't worth doing and that you are skeptical of the functionality of those offered by others?
                    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.
                    --River Tam

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      ar15barrels
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Jan 2006
                      • 57179

                      Originally posted by VegasND
                      Does this mean, in your opinion, the conversion isn't worth doing and that you are skeptical of the functionality of those offered by others?
                      I am skeptical of everything until I personally observe it working as stated by the manufacturer.

                      I have yet to see 5.45 working, but I don't have any of the Cproducts 5.45 mags to test either.
                      They might turn out to work fine.
                      In that case, I see no roadblocks to running 5.45 in an AR.
                      Randall Rausch

                      AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                      Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                      Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                      Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                      Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        VegasND
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Aug 2007
                        • 8621

                        Originally posted by ar15barrels
                        I am skeptical of everything until I personally observe it working...
                        That's a prudent attitude.

                        I may just buy one rather than try to have the one I've got altered. I may hold off until these are around some and see how they work.

                        Since you do this work, I'll assume a custom build would be cost prohibitive compared to buying off the shelf, and I'm really not looking for anything beyond a plinker.

                        If you should stock these, please let us know, along with your opinion.

                        Thanks for taking the time to respond and for providing good information.
                        People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.
                        --River Tam

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          ar15barrels
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Jan 2006
                          • 57179

                          Originally posted by VegasND
                          Since you do this work, I'll assume a custom build would be cost prohibitive compared to buying off the shelf, and I'm really not looking for anything beyond a plinker.
                          Due to the bore size requirements being non-standard, custom barrels are expensive.
                          The last couple were around $400 and made on Pac-Nor blanks.
                          Randall Rausch

                          AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                          Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                          Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                          Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                          Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Quiet
                            retired Goon
                            • Mar 2007
                            • 30242

                            S&W M&P-15R 5.45x39mm complete upper
                            S&W website says coming soon with MSRP of $751.
                            sigpic

                            "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Rem1492
                              Senior Member
                              • Mar 2007
                              • 666

                              I placed a military order with S&W. I received 2 mags for it in the mail last week, so i think the upper should be here soon.

                              If I do happen to get it first I will post pics and a range report.
                              C-130Herk and AK-lover

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1