Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

ar 80% build questions.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • christmasstorm
    Member
    • Mar 2013
    • 146

    ar 80% build questions.

    I already posted this in general forum but was guided to the proper forum.

    Ok, I have decided that I would like to join the 80% build group. However, I seriously know nothing about ARs and I am trying to learn but it seems like I cannot find a person to walk me through it a bit. I don't have any friends into the sport like I am so I am on an island... I was looking to jump in on the next San Diego build and I was wondering, to start, after I get the 80% and I do the 20% is there someone to hel p guide the 20% part? I dont want to screw it up.... AND what is a jig? I dont even know what all the parts are. It sucks and is embarrassing but here I am lost asking for directions. Sarcastic remarks will make me laugh along with you as long as you mix it in with instruction. I have thick skin.
  • #2
    christmasstorm
    Member
    • Mar 2013
    • 146

    As far as the milling goes though, does someone show me how to mill? Is this something I need to have those skills to even bother with? I will check out YouTube.

    Comment

    • #3
      m16
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2010
      • 2527

      There's a few different ways you can finish an 80% receiver.

      If you take it to a machine shop and rent their CNC, all you have to do is bolt the receiver down in their fixture and push the start button.

      You can also use a manual mill, preferably with a digital readout - you'll need a blueprint of a lower receiver for this method.

      Lastly, you can finish a receiver on a drill press but for this you will need a jig, the jig will have guide holes.
      Marine Raider Foundation

      Comment

      • #4
        christmasstorm
        Member
        • Mar 2013
        • 146

        Ah so, if I go the cnc route, I don't need the jig? Or would I still need the jig? The cnc way was what I had been planning to do. Thanks for the help

        Comment

        • #5
          m16
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2010
          • 2527

          Nope, the CNC will be programmed to perform all of the operations necessary to finish the receiver.
          Marine Raider Foundation

          Comment

          • #6
            Flintlock Tom
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2007
            • 3353

            I bought an 80% lower on-line and took it to these guys.

            They charge $75 if you bring your own 80%. Good experience.
            "Everyone must determine for themselves what level of tyranny they are willing to tolerate.
            I let my CA residency expire in 2015."

            Comment

            • #7
              BajaBrad
              Junior Member
              • May 2013
              • 1

              80% AR Lowers

              You can buy the lower and the finishing jig from these guys. You can do everything yourself with jig after watching a few youtube videos.

              Comment

              Working...
              UA-8071174-1