Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Checkering a 1911 front strap with a thread cleaner file

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • 9mm1911
    Member
    • Apr 2013
    • 235

    Checkering a 1911 front strap with a thread cleaner file

    Hey All,

    I was reading on a knife forum about people using thread cleaning files to do checkering work on their knives and was wondering if they could also be used to do work on a 1911 front strap.

    The reason I'm interested is because they are only a fraction of the cost of a typical checkering file, and can be found a local hardware stores.

    ($10 for a thread cleaner vs. $40-50 for a checkering file)

    This is what I'm looking at...
    sigpic
  • #2
    kcstott
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Nov 2011
    • 11796

    Yep not sharp enough to do the job with any kind of decent results.
    Try it on a chunk of scrap and see.

    Comment

    • #3
      9mm1911
      Member
      • Apr 2013
      • 235

      Originally posted by kcstott
      Yep not sharp enough to do the job with any kind of decent results.
      Try it on a chunk of scrap and see.
      Ok, I think I'll try it on a spare mainspring housing to see what it looks like.

      If it works I may try it on my GSG 1911, since it's just made of zinc alloy.
      I'll post pic's if I ever get around to it.
      Last edited by 9mm1911; 05-26-2013, 1:14 AM.
      sigpic

      Comment

      • #4
        restoreit1
        Junior Member
        • Mar 2007
        • 33

        Originally posted by 9mm1911
        Hey All,

        I was reading on a knife forum about people using thread cleaning files to do checkering work on their knives and was wondering if they could also be used to do work on a 1911 front strap.

        The reason I'm interested is because they are only a fraction of the cost of a typical checkering file, and can be found a local hardware stores.

        ($10 for a thread cleaner vs. $40-50 for a checkering file)

        This is what I'm looking at...
        Use it for a lay out tool then use a small 3 cornered file to deepen the diamonds

        Comment

        • #5
          ar15barrels
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Jan 2006
          • 57179

          A proper UN external thread form has a radius on the top of the threads that is 1/8 of the thread height.
          The bottom of the thread root will have a radius that is 1/4 of the thread height.
          If thread files are made to cut proper UN threads, your checkering will never get sharp.

          Now, NPT threads do not have a radius so if you got an NPT thread file, that might work..
          Randall Rausch

          AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
          Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
          Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
          Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
          Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

          Comment

          • #6
            heidad01
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2012
            • 4902

            It will not work. Do not butcher your gun. get a wrap around grip for $20.00 if you do not like the smooth front strap. Butchered guns are practically worthless if and when you decide to sell.

            Comment

            • #7
              kcstott
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Nov 2011
              • 11796

              Originally posted by ar15barrels
              A proper UN external thread form has a radius on the top of the threads that is 1/8 of the thread height.
              The bottom of the thread root will have a radius that is 1/4 of the thread height.
              If thread files are made to cut proper UN threads, your checkering will never get sharp.

              Now, NPT threads do not have a radius so if you got an NPT thread file, that might work..
              It's not even that. The thread files are only designed to clean up burrs on buggered up threads. They won't cut new threads in a blank part. Well at least not to an acceptable level.
              They don't checker worth a damn.

              Now if he wants to butcher his gun be my guest. I mean well he already committed the biggest abomination known to the gun world 9mm 1911?? like cutting the balls of a bull

              Comment

              • #8
                Bolillo
                Member
                • Nov 2011
                • 451

                Originally posted by kcstott
                Now if he wants to butcher his gun be my guest.
                Indeed. For the price of a couple boxes of ammo, just get a proper checkering file.


                Originally posted by kcstott
                I mean well he already committed the biggest abomination known to the gun world 9mm 1911?? like cutting the balls of a bull
                Mostly, I would agree. But for the case of old-school Bullseye shooting where the centerfire portion can be shot with a 9mm 1911 instead of trying to find a really expensive S&W Model 52 or European gun. Otherwise, the 1911 ought to be in caliber that JMB designed it for.
                Last edited by Bolillo; 05-22-2013, 10:44 PM.

                Comment

                • #9
                  jfifer
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jun 2012
                  • 3205

                  Kcstott- i like you

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    9mm1911
                    Member
                    • Apr 2013
                    • 235

                    Originally posted by ar15barrels
                    A proper UN external thread form has a radius on the top of the threads that is 1/8 of the thread height.
                    The bottom of the thread root will have a radius that is 1/4 of the thread height.
                    If thread files are made to cut proper UN threads, your checkering will never get sharp.

                    Now, NPT threads do not have a radius so if you got an NPT thread file, that might work..
                    Did not know this, thanks.
                    Seems like they may be harder to come by than I thought... dropped by Lowe's for some misc. things and couldn't find one... standard or pipe.

                    I've got another question for the group... does anyone know why checkering files cost so darn much? It seems like the materials and manufacturing process would be similar to other types of files that cost substantially less.

                    I know quality files cost more, but I would've thought that some company would've outsourced to China by now, but I've yet to find one for less than $40.

                    I suppose it's because they're a speciality item




                    Oh, and FWIW, I love my 9mm 1911. It's great at it's intended purpose... target shooting. 1911's have great triggers, 9mm is easy to shoot and easy on the wallet.
                    Last edited by 9mm1911; 05-23-2013, 12:24 AM.
                    sigpic

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      ar15barrels
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Jan 2006
                      • 57179

                      Originally posted by 9mm1911
                      My assumption is that they're priced as such because they are a specialty item.
                      Low volume of production.

                      A LOT more thread files are sold then checkering files.
                      Therefore, you can make them and sell them cheaper.
                      Thread files are also not as precisely made as checkering files.
                      It's like comparing a chinese file to a swiss file...
                      Randall Rausch

                      AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                      Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                      Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                      Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                      Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        kcstott
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Nov 2011
                        • 11796

                        Originally posted by ar15barrels
                        Low volume of production.

                        A LOT more thread files are sold then checkering files.
                        Therefore, you can make them and sell them cheaper.
                        Thread files are also not as precisely made as checkering files.
                        It's like comparing a chinese file to a swiss file...
                        Swiss files..... Yeah well lets say that once you buy one you'll never have to buy a replacement. I've got a box of swiss made rifflers that were $20 each and that was twenty years ago. They have yet to wear out.

                        To 9mm1911 special tools cost special money. That said the cost of the tool is minimal compared to the cost of what it will take to learn to do metal checkering to a level most would consider acceptable. Then there is the cost of screw up your frame if you decide to give it a go with the wrong tools.

                        Lets be clear here you could go the Harbor freight and get a set of needle files lay out some lines on your frame and very carefully file a straight line then do that 20 time per inch that $40 for a checkering file that does multiple lines at once just got a whole lot cheeper.
                        Thing is you can't pay a gunsmith $40 to checker the front strap.
                        I'll make you a deal you buy the tool give it a go and if it doesn't work for you I'll buy it from you.

                        I won't derail the thread but the 45 ACP is only marginally more expensive to reload then the 9mm as for easy to shoot. Well guns were made to kill things that means there is a considerable amount of forces involved. I understand this and accept it. I don't go looking for something that is easy to shoot.
                        Thats like I hear guy talk about the recoil of their AR15?? Holly Crap What Recoil??? it a low grade varmint round and you're talking about recoil.
                        I ask them to come out and shoot my Garand and feel some real recoil
                        Last edited by kcstott; 05-23-2013, 6:15 AM.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Bolillo
                          Member
                          • Nov 2011
                          • 451

                          9mm1911, do you want to just have more grip, regardless of how it looks, or do you only want checkering?

                          If it's only more grip you want and don't give a rip how it looks, then there's a few solutions like skateboard tape or just get a $5 center punch, a hammer, (or a fist-sized rock if you like) and stipple away.

                          If it's truly checkering you want, then it's safe to assume that you're not going to trump 100+ years of gun gunsmithing and metalworking by coming up with a "new" way of doing it at a tenth of the tool cost. Both thread files and checkering files have been around for a long time. It's a safe bet that somebody has tried this before. Does the fact that people who do checkering for a living still buy spendy checkering files instead of cheap thread files make sense?

                          Free tip: If you haven't already, look at a picture of a checkering file. Notice how the sides are straight and smooth. The side is meant to be used as a guide or against a finger to get that first and later passes lined up straight and even.
                          Last edited by Bolillo; 05-23-2013, 9:17 AM.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            kcstott
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Nov 2011
                            • 11796

                            I did try this when I was a teenager and it looked like crap. Then I was able the borrow a checkering file and the difference is night and day.

                            I'm not trying to be a stick in the mud but this is the typical case.
                            Someone posts a question, asks for advice, then pretty much ignores it.
                            That's what irritates me.
                            I did say give it a shot on a piece of scrap and you'll see how screwed up it will be. Your test on copper is not good as copper is soft and easy to cut. Try it with mild steel and see what a pain it will be.
                            Here's my advice you have four options.
                            Pay someone else to do it.
                            Buy the correct tool and learn how to do it.
                            Use a wrap around grip or grip tape.
                            Or ignore the advice and butcher your gun then wonder when the day comes to sell it no one will give you a good price.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              SNCaliber
                              Veteran Member
                              • Mar 2012
                              • 3222

                              I would definitely go with a checkering file, its really not that much more and worth it, the other file looks just crude on that piece of metal
                              -Sang

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1