Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Need recommendations for gunsmithing screwdrivers

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Jack Straw from Wichita
    Member
    • Jul 2006
    • 300

    Need recommendations for gunsmithing screwdrivers

    I'm thinking about getting a set of hollow-ground screwdrivers. These would be for personal use (I'm not a professional gunsmith).

    I took a look at the Wheeler screwdriver set (http://www.amazon.com/Wheeler-89-Pie...crewdriver+set) but the customer reviews varied widely.

    Also looking at Forster screwdrivers: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/751...set?cm_vc=S014 Reviews on the Forster seemed mostly positive, but some customers complained that they break too easily.

    I'm more than willing to consider other brands.

    Question for the gunsmiths on this forum: which screwdrivers would you recommend? Thanks.
    sigpic

    NRA Member

    "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
  • #2
    Dutch Henry
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2012
    • 733

    I have two Chapman gun screwdriver sets; one for my workbench and one for my field repair kit. Have used them for over 30 years. If you break any of the tips, they are replaceable at very low cost. Best bang for the buck IMO.

    Check them out: http://www.chapmanmfg.com/HK8900.html

    Comment

    • #3
      isplice
      Member
      • Jan 2006
      • 398

      2nd the Chapman recommendation! Have also had mine for 30+ years
      sigpic

      Comment

      • #4
        adamsreeftank
        Senior Member
        • Jan 2006
        • 2244

        I bought the Wheeler because it has the biggest variety, but I've already broken one of the bits.

        Comment

        • #5
          kcstott
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Nov 2011
          • 11796

          Forester or Brownell's

          Comment

          • #6
            Twystd1
            Superfluous
            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
            • Oct 2009
            • 2692

            Originally posted by kcstott
            Forester or Brownell's
            I am with KC on this.

            The MASTER set is the one to get.

            T

            Comment

            • #7
              ar15barrels
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Jan 2006
              • 57177

              I have the mid-size Brownells magna-tip set.
              Very nice quality tools.
              Randall Rausch

              AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
              Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
              Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
              Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
              Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

              Comment

              • #8
                kendog4570
                Calguns Addict
                • Dec 2008
                • 5180

                Brownells Magna Tip. Had my set since 1985. Throw the new bits in the lead pot for an hour and they will be much less prone to breaking. When they do, they are available individually for cheap.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Rust
                  Senior Member
                  • Oct 2007
                  • 697

                  Go to the local flea market/swap meet buy a fist full of cheap old screwdrivers. When you need one to fit a particular screw just grind it to fit. That way you will always have one in exactly the right size and shape for the job you're trying to do. And there's no need to worry about regrinding them over and over as new projects come up. Rather than hoping that #xyz bit from your set fits well enough not to slip out and gouge whatever you're working on.
                  If you don't have a grinder or are set on a kit I have Chapman, and Grace, both of which have been fine, and would recommend either.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    -hanko
                    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                    CGN Contributor
                    • Jul 2002
                    • 14174

                    Grace and Forster will definitely work.

                    My choice was / is Brownells...tools made in USA and great customer service.

                    I bought the complete Wheeler set when it was introduced for around $80. It is handy occasionally to have a weird bit available, like a sight adjustment tool.

                    Turns out I've broken 3-4 of the straight bits with normal force, haven't busted a Brownells bit yet.

                    No country of origin on the Midway set I can see, so I'm assuming PRC.

                    Also a little bit hokey that Larry Porterfield, Pres/Owner of Midway/Wheeler, wrote an online review for his own product.

                    hth

                    -hanko
                    True wealth is time. Time to enjoy life.

                    Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

                    Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

                    A man's soul can be judged by the way he treats his dog. Charles Doran

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      tpuig
                      Senior Member
                      • Jun 2005
                      • 2163

                      For only basic tasks, the Wheeler set has proved very handy. I use it all the time.
                      NRA LIFE Member

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      UA-8071174-1