Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Saiga Finish Matching.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • omgwtfbbq
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2009
    • 3445

    Saiga Finish Matching.

    A few years ago I completed a conversion on my saiga 7.62x39. I was still in college so it was done on a shoe-string budget. To be frank, it didn't end up how I really wanted, but I was okay with that because the plan was to revamp the build once the funds were available. Well it's that time, but I've run into a snag.

    I'm buying better quality parts and I'm thinking it's going to be really nice when I'm done. However, I'm worried about the receiver's finish. When I oringinally did the conversion, after popping off the floor plate, I didn't repaint the bottom of the receiver. In addition to that, shortly after doing the build I had thought it would be neat to do a color fill on the reciever. After consulting the almighty Youtube I decided to give it a try with not so great results. The fill went great but when trying to wipe away the excess with non-acetone nail polish remover, it damaged the original paint. Not severely, but if you look, you can tell the paint is thinner in those spots. I would hate to put the time and money into the build and be left with a janky paint job. I want to do it right.

    My question is, is there a readily available paint that I can purchse to fix the two afforementioned problems? I know SJgunguy used to use something on his builds but I couldn't for the life of me remember what. Also would I have to strip the original paint? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
    "Far and away the best prize life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing." - Theodore Roosevelt

    Originally posted by rmorris7556
    They teach you secret stuff I can't mention on line.
  • #2
    Letterman52
    Senior Member
    • Oct 2012
    • 1345

    I would just the whole thing cerakoted. A new beginning. Haha.

    Comment

    • #3
      SJgunguy24
      I need a LIFE!!
      • May 2008
      • 14849

      Krylon barbeque paint #1618 is the number. You'll need to rough everything up with sandpaper if you want it to stick half way decently. Also heat everything up before spraying and if you can, bake it at 200f for 3 hours. That drives off all of the solvents and cures the paint. That really makes a difference in getting a long lasting paint job with that paint.
      There are 3 kinds of people in this world.
      The wise, learn from the mistakes of others.
      The smart, learn from their own mistakes.
      The others, well......they just never learn.

      "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death!"
      Patrick Henry.

      Comment

      Working...
      UA-8071174-1