Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Painted lower receiver AR15......how to remove.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • USMCM16A2
    Banned
    • Jul 2006
    • 4941

    Painted lower receiver AR15......how to remove.

    Guys,


    Have AR15 lower receiver, I painted it a desert camo paatern, I now want to reove the paint best way?. A2
  • #2
    justjeff
    Senior Member
    • Aug 2011
    • 1301

    What type of paint? I used paint stripper on a Carry handle I got for cheap it was a krylon camo job no harm to ano. Wear gloves and eye pro it burns your skin!

    Don't use steel wool/ scotch brite or anything abrasive! This will remove anodizing!
    Originally posted by LBDamned
    Serious people make real change in their lives... Others complain on forums.

    Comment

    • #3
      USMCM16A2
      Banned
      • Jul 2006
      • 4941

      Enemal

      Jeff,


      Rustoleum Enamel. TIA A2

      Comment

      • #4
        Heavy_Grinder
        Senior Member
        • Dec 2006
        • 1533

        Just use some strong graffiti remover. As usual, take precaution because it can burn your skin. I learned that fact the hard way.

        Comment

        • #5
          spdrcr
          Senior Member
          • Jul 2008
          • 2108

          I used Jasco Premium Paint and Epoxy Remover that I picked up at Lowes

          Comment

          • #6
            bohoki
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Jan 2006
            • 20826

            try some deep woods off

            Comment

            • #7
              asheron2
              Senior Member
              • Dec 2007
              • 726

              Brake cleaner?

              Comment

              • #8
                klewan
                Veteran Member
                • Jun 2011
                • 3031

                Aircraft paint remover from Walmart. Takes just about anything off; been using it for over 30 years.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Invictus
                  Member
                  • Jan 2011
                  • 451

                  Jasco is super nasty, I don't know if it affects anodized layer. It turn paint into orange peel in seconds.
                  WTB: S&W Model 41 5" barrel and magazines
                  - S&W 500 magnum Brass
                  - S&W 500 bullet molds
                  - RCBS Lube-A-Matic Sizer Die 500 Diameter+ top punch

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    spdrcr
                    Senior Member
                    • Jul 2008
                    • 2108

                    Originally posted by asheron2
                    Brake cleaner?
                    In my experience, brake cleaner alone will not work.

                    Originally posted by Invictus
                    Jasco is super nasty, I don't know if it affects anodized layer. It turn paint into orange peel in seconds.
                    It had no affect on the original anodized part or original markings. I sprayed the parts with Jasco, waited 10-15 minutes for it to work, and then brushed the paint off with an old toothbrush. I sprayed everything down afterwards with brake cleaner and then CLP.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Invictus
                      Member
                      • Jan 2011
                      • 451

                      Sounds good, jasco is your answer! wear gloves and eye protection, and maybe a gas mask, haha. it's very strong stuff.
                      WTB: S&W Model 41 5" barrel and magazines
                      - S&W 500 magnum Brass
                      - S&W 500 bullet molds
                      - RCBS Lube-A-Matic Sizer Die 500 Diameter+ top punch

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        hammerhands32
                        Senior Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 1079



                        Soak and nylon brush
                        Pr. 22:3 The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and pay the penalty.

                        Don't Listen to me, I had bad grades in high school....

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Prc329
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Oct 2006
                          • 5603



                          I have used that in the past with great success. I didnt try it on anything plastic but it worked really well on an upper and lower I stripped. Make sure you are in a well ventalated area and using chemical gloves. Sprayed on, let sit for a while then washed paint right off.
                          sigpic

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            1lowluv
                            Senior Member
                            • Mar 2011
                            • 946

                            Brake clean took my rustoleum off
                            Cerakote and Stippling https://www.facebook.com/HammerGunWorx

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              ar15barrels
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              • Jan 2006
                              • 57179

                              Strip the lower of all parts.
                              Place it in a thick ziplock bag.
                              Spray a bunch of brake cleaner in the bag.
                              Seal the bag.
                              Double bag that bag into another ziplock bag.
                              Let stand overnight.
                              Remove lower from bags and spray more brake cleaner on the lower to remove whatever did not come off from the vapors.
                              Randall Rausch

                              AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                              Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                              Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                              Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                              Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1