Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Ak47 101 - School me please

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Yerman
    Senior Member
    • Aug 2011
    • 1396

    Ak47 101 - School me please

    So I think I'd like to build an AK. Been researching the build parties and doing some reading on available kits, etc...

    I quickly got overwhelmed with all of the terminology and variations out there.
    Romanian, Polish, AMD 65, WASR 10, AKM, underfolder receiver holes, fixed stock holes, RPK, Yugo, M85, M95, why you have to demill vs starting from a flat receiver, etc, etc, etc.....

    Any AK basics threads out there that can shed some light on all the variations? Thanks.
  • #2
    Varg Vikernes
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2012
    • 2831

    Pick a kit that looks good to you. Or just go for a WASR10 if you just want a basic AK that will get the job done.

    Another forum I go to has a good writeup of the variants:

    Last edited by Varg Vikernes; 08-26-2012, 7:09 AM.

    Comment

    • #3
      3RDGEARGRNDRR
      Senior Member
      • Mar 2011
      • 900

      you might want to convert a saiga as well, check out the saiga 12 forums too,
      CA: Exorcising my 2A rights

      Comment

      • #4
        ENTHUSIAST
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2008
        • 4440

        Are you asking for someone to explain all the different types of AKs to you?

        Do your homework man dont be lazy.

        There are 2 main types of AK receivers Stamped (Most common and easiest to build) and Milled (wait til you know how to build a stamped AK before you even consider a reweld build.)

        Underfolder receiver holes are already cut in the receiver so you can attach the folder to the rear trunnion.

        Fixed stock holes are for the rivets that attach the rear trunnion to the receiver.

        You have to DEMIL to get the old rivets out so you can attach your trunnions (front and rear) to your flat or receiver.

        If you want to build from a FLAT (no DROS no serial #) go with AKbuilder if you want a complete RECEIVER (requires DROS through FFL) build use a NoDakSpud.

        Most all stamed receivers are 1mm Yugos are 1.5mm.

        Did you read 69Mach1's tutorial?:



        If you narrow your question to something more specific myself and others can probably be more helpful. But to explain the small intricate differences between each county and their AK variant would take a while... just sayin'.

        ProTip: Start with a Romy G build from an AK builder flat and everything else about AKbuilding will become easy to understand.
        Last edited by ENTHUSIAST; 08-26-2012, 7:59 AM.

        Comment

        • #5
          kcstott
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Nov 2011
          • 11796

          Originally posted by ENTHUSIAST
          ProTip: Start with a Romy G build from an AK builder flat and everything else about AKbuilding will become easy to understand.

          NO!! Don't fall for the Romy G kit!!! That's how they get you hooked. Oh yeah it's a simple build good basic AK to start with but then it's not enough at that point you're addicted. Then you start looking at AMD65's, Krink's, Triangle side folder's, Underfolders. Once that smile hits your face after you test fire it You're done, you're hooked and it's all over. It may be "just an AK" but you can never Build/own just one.

          My name is Kerry and I'm addicted to AK's

          But in all seriousness Wikipedia does good job of laying out all the different styles and types of AK's with links to other pages like the WASR10
          Do a google search, read the wiki's and you will soon find out that it is nothing more then a AK receiver with variances in barrel length, stock types, flash hiders, or suppressors.

          Yugo's are a different bread in a class all by them selves. one reason why they are sought after by collectors and AK Lovers alike.
          Last edited by kcstott; 08-26-2012, 9:15 AM.

          Comment

          • #6
            ENTHUSIAST
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2008
            • 4440

            Originally posted by kcstott
            NO!! Don't fall for the Romy G kit!!! That's how they get you hooked.
            HaHaHa! So true!!!

            OP: Just run the other way now while you still can and forget about all this AK build stuff.

            Comment

            • #7
              kcstott
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Nov 2011
              • 11796

              I think it's to late. The rate of addiction in high and the addictiveness transcends any actual contact with the weapon. You can become addicted just buy scanning the internet.

              BTW How you feeling Dan? that back doing better?

              Comment

              • #8
                ENTHUSIAST
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2008
                • 4440

                Yes out of pain and the back is back to normal again thanks for asking!

                I will be getting with AIMSMALL in a few weeks to help a guy put together a special Krink build.

                Then I want to get around to making a nice contribution to the gunsmithing section. (Look for it in the next 2-3 weeks.)

                Then maybe we can talk about getting another San Diego AK Build Party going here in a few months.

                Comment

                • #9
                  zfields
                  CGN Contributor
                  • Aug 2010
                  • 13658

                  Originally posted by kcstott
                  NO!! Don't fall for the Romy G kit!!! That's how they get you hooked. Oh yeah it's a simple build good basic AK to start with but then it's not enough at that point you're addicted. Then you start looking at AMD65's, Krink's, Triangle side folder's, Underfolders. Once that smile hits your face after you test fire it You're done, you're hooked and it's all over. It may be "just an AK" but you can never Build/own just one.
                  .
                  This is why I'm scared to build one. I feel my new safe would be filled with AK's and kick my other guns out.
                  Sandstorm Custom Rifle Slings : Custom Paracord slings

                  10% off slings for calguns members. PM for details. Like us on facebook!

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    kcstott
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Nov 2011
                    • 11796

                    Just take care of that back brother. I had issues with mine years ago and all I can say is I can sympathize with you. There's no other pain that can describe it.
                    Last edited by kcstott; 09-05-2012, 12:59 PM.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      NastyNate
                      Senior Member
                      • May 2012
                      • 1697

                      Originally posted by ENTHUSIAST
                      Thanks for the link. I'm a new AK owner and have plans to build my next one at a party. Been doing loads of research but this is a good find!

                      And now back to your regularly scheduled programming....
                      -NN

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Varg Vikernes
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2012
                        • 2831

                        I built a Bulgarian 74 so I think I'm safe from the AK bug

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          NastyNate
                          Senior Member
                          • May 2012
                          • 1697

                          Originally posted by kcstott
                          It may be "just an AK" but you can never Build/own just one.
                          I just bought my first AK less than a week later, already have plans for a polish underfolder, after that a sidefolder, after that a VEPR for hunting, the list goes on, just don't tell my wife how much money will be invested.
                          -NN

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            kcstott
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Nov 2011
                            • 11796

                            Originally posted by NastyNate
                            I just bought my first AK less than a week later, already have plans for a polish underfolder, after that a sidefolder, after that a VEPR for hunting, the list goes on, just don't tell my wife how much money will be invested.
                            You need to tell her how much you'll be SAVING!! thats the key.

                            Then there is the "I could spend all my money on women and beer or I could just waste it on guns"

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Richard Erichsen
                              Senior Member
                              CGN Contributor
                              • Jan 2011
                              • 1911

                              Originally posted by zfields
                              This is why I'm scared to build one. I feel my new safe would be filled with AK's and kick my other guns out.
                              I always supposed you were a builder, but that was a converted Saiga in your store photos. What was that SBR AK again?

                              Yeah, you should build a couple. The discipline is to build them as well as possible and take your time. You can always buy a virgin kit, that will slow you down.

                              R
                              Mangler of loose parts into modernized boom sticks

                              "Your breathing should be slow and steady. It should sound like HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo!!!" - CBruce

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1