Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

AK/AR stock adapter

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • jingerale
    Senior Member
    • May 2011
    • 1997

    AK/AR stock adapter

    So I just got my ROM. kit from AK-Builder.

    Was pretty set on trying to restore the wooden furniture but after seeing what I actually received, I'm having second thoughts. It's pretty beat up, and I don't think I have the drive right now to put in too much work.

    Started looking at possibly using a Magpul stock.

    Any recommendation on a AK/AR adapter solution? I found a few, some are plastic and some not. Just wondering what you guys are using.

    Was looking at Vltor but the Command Arms Polymer one is so much cheaper.

    Thanks
    Don't have Activejunky yet? Use this, we both get $10.
    https://www.activejunky.com/invite/187782
    Swagbucks, we both get $3.
    http://www.swagbucks.com/p/register?rb=16618665
    What about Ebates? click below
    https://www.ebates.com/r/CEECEE318?eeid=28187
    Lemoney referral link
    http://www.lemoney.com/i/jin-rewards...8f24fc1c4ccc17
    BeFrugal referral link
    https://www.befrugal.com/referral/?ref=PBPSEAE&s=5
  • #2
    Varg Vikernes
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2012
    • 2831

    Get one of those ACE Folding stocks.





    That way you don't have a fake buffer tube and everything

    Comment

    • #3
      jingerale
      Senior Member
      • May 2011
      • 1997

      Originally posted by Varg Vikernes
      Get one of those ACE Folding stocks.





      That way you don't have a fake buffer tube and everything
      hmm...I haven't looked at any folding stocks. Would there be potential legal issues regarding total length, or being able to fire with the stock folded?

      Thanks
      Don't have Activejunky yet? Use this, we both get $10.
      https://www.activejunky.com/invite/187782
      Swagbucks, we both get $3.
      http://www.swagbucks.com/p/register?rb=16618665
      What about Ebates? click below
      https://www.ebates.com/r/CEECEE318?eeid=28187
      Lemoney referral link
      http://www.lemoney.com/i/jin-rewards...8f24fc1c4ccc17
      BeFrugal referral link
      https://www.befrugal.com/referral/?ref=PBPSEAE&s=5

      Comment

      • #4
        kcstott
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Nov 2011
        • 11796

        Yep. 30" or longer to have a folder or unable to fire is under 30"

        I'm wondering if I could just make a couple of stock adapters.

        Comment

        • #5
          Varg Vikernes
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2012
          • 2831

          Originally posted by kcstott
          Yep. 30" or longer to have a folder or unable to fire is under 30"

          I'm wondering if I could just make a couple of stock adapters.
          If he had a BB would the 30" on folders go out the window?

          Comment

          • #6
            kcstott
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Nov 2011
            • 11796

            No.

            The law on 30" applies to any semi auto with or without a BB Regardless of magazine capacity

            Comment

            • #7
              ramathorn
              Senior Member
              • Oct 2010
              • 1652

              Refinish the wood, it'll look nice! I've redone a couple and they turned out really clean. If you'll ship the wood furniture to Sacramento i'll refinish it for you for a couple bucks.

              Comment

              • #8
                jingerale
                Senior Member
                • May 2011
                • 1997

                Originally posted by ramathorn
                Refinish the wood, it'll look nice! I've redone a couple and they turned out really clean. If you'll ship the wood furniture to Sacramento i'll refinish it for you for a couple bucks.
                I'll take another look this weekend, but for now, let's keep those suggestions coming.
                Don't have Activejunky yet? Use this, we both get $10.
                https://www.activejunky.com/invite/187782
                Swagbucks, we both get $3.
                http://www.swagbucks.com/p/register?rb=16618665
                What about Ebates? click below
                https://www.ebates.com/r/CEECEE318?eeid=28187
                Lemoney referral link
                http://www.lemoney.com/i/jin-rewards...8f24fc1c4ccc17
                BeFrugal referral link
                https://www.befrugal.com/referral/?ref=PBPSEAE&s=5

                Comment

                • #9
                  Richard Erichsen
                  Senior Member
                  CGN Contributor
                  • Jan 2011
                  • 1911

                  Originally posted by jingerale
                  So I just got my ROM. kit from AK-Builder.

                  Was pretty set on trying to restore the wooden furniture but after seeing what I actually received, I'm having second thoughts. It's pretty beat up, and I don't think I have the drive right now to put in too much work.

                  Started looking at possibly using a Magpul stock.

                  Any recommendation on a AK/AR adapter solution? I found a few, some are plastic and some not. Just wondering what you guys are using.

                  Was looking at Vltor but the Command Arms Polymer one is so much cheaper.

                  Thanks
                  I know some folks like AR stocks on these rifles - I don't. That's not to say I frown on those who do or that I prefer a "traditional" AK, I'm not one of those either. I do encourage using what is in your parts kit whenever possible and discarding only what is necessary to meet 922r, or what is too banged up to reasonably repair. Unless the wood is seriously gouged out or cracked, you have options. Please post pics so some of the experts already on this thread (I'm not one of them) can weigh in.

                  You can steam out minor dings and dents and the majority of scratches come out with ordinary sanding (or sanding discs and an electric sander to make quick work of them). Nothing is more satisfying than refinishing your own stocks, which while time consuming will leave a lasting impression on you and anyone who beyonds your fine work. There are plenty of threads on refinishing, the process, the materials and what you should expert in terms of time to complete the task.

                  Timbersmith and Ironwood Designs can supply you with new wood stocks if it comes to that. Their wares are so good it will almost certainly be an upgrade to what the factory used when these rifles were new. No AK got the kind of detailed handwork that brings out the grain and luster of the wood that you could provide with a bit of time and elbow grease.

                  Good luck,

                  R
                  Last edited by Richard Erichsen; 07-20-2012, 5:58 PM.
                  Mangler of loose parts into modernized boom sticks

                  "Your breathing should be slow and steady. It should sound like HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo!!!" - CBruce

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    jingerale
                    Senior Member
                    • May 2011
                    • 1997

                    Thanks bit problem solved. My friend got a kit too and we traded furnature since he wasn't going to use his.

                    We actually traded the whole kit. His was made in 1979, my birth year. Took that as a sign. Too bad I paid extra for my matching kit.

                    Thanks guys
                    Don't have Activejunky yet? Use this, we both get $10.
                    https://www.activejunky.com/invite/187782
                    Swagbucks, we both get $3.
                    http://www.swagbucks.com/p/register?rb=16618665
                    What about Ebates? click below
                    https://www.ebates.com/r/CEECEE318?eeid=28187
                    Lemoney referral link
                    http://www.lemoney.com/i/jin-rewards...8f24fc1c4ccc17
                    BeFrugal referral link
                    https://www.befrugal.com/referral/?ref=PBPSEAE&s=5

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    UA-8071174-1