Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

First shot at duracoating

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • A-J
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2011
    • 2586

    First shot at duracoating

    To make a long story short, I was not happy with the overall situation with the guy who was going to duracoat the wife's Kimber. So I went to Houts and got the all in one applicator kits. I was happy with the color and the result, but ended up having to do a lot of clean up and unfortunately remove a lot of color from some friction areas to get the slide to operate freely. At the end of the day I'm glad I did it, and the wife is happy she has a pink gun. Here are some pics:

    Base coat in white is required for pink.







    And final color:





    It was not a threat. It was an exaggerated response to an uncompromising stance. I was taught never to make a threat unless you are prepared to carry it out and I am not a fan of carrying anything. Even watching other people carrying things makes me uncomfortable. Mainly because of the possibility they may ask me to help.
  • #2
    valley82
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2011
    • 2768

    Looks good, I can't let the wife see this or I'll end up with a pink AK. LOL
    How difficult was it to get even?

    Comment

    • #3
      A-J
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2011
      • 2586

      It really wasn't that hard to get even, but then again, I have a lot of past experience painting motorcycle parts (fairings etc.) so I have some practice in. I wouldn't do this is you've never done any painting before, unless you are really really good at reading and following the instructions.
      It was not a threat. It was an exaggerated response to an uncompromising stance. I was taught never to make a threat unless you are prepared to carry it out and I am not a fan of carrying anything. Even watching other people carrying things makes me uncomfortable. Mainly because of the possibility they may ask me to help.

      Comment

      • #4
        TRod1222
        Member
        • Mar 2007
        • 108

        What were you thinking... It's a Kimber!

        Comment

        • #5
          monorailboy
          Senior Member
          • Jul 2010
          • 1229

          Hmm..I still see uneveness and areas that were missed ?? Why didn't you get it done professionally ?

          Comment

          • #6
            monorailboy
            Senior Member
            • Jul 2010
            • 1229

            you ruined it !

            Comment

            • #7
              chiz
              Senior Member
              • Dec 2008
              • 964

              Honestly it looks horrible. it looks like you tried to put it together before the paint was completly dry.
              sigpic

              Comment

              • #8
                wtactraining
                Junior Member
                • Feb 2010
                • 78

                I would strip it and try again.
                POST Firearms Instructor
                POST Patrol Rifle Instructor
                Surefire Low Light Instructor
                Sig Sauer Armorer
                Remington Shotgun Armorer

                Comment

                • #9
                  xoutxkastx
                  Senior Member
                  • Feb 2012
                  • 632

                  Need to do it over again. Take your time on the new round. Not sure if the Pink and Black combo looks good. How about a stainless slide and pink receiver. Who cares if its pink. If the wifey lets you buy more firearms or give you less flack about it then by all means give her the pink gun she wants.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Bobby Hated
                    Senior Member
                    • Oct 2010
                    • 1616

                    i just ordered a CADPAT pack for one of my AR's. im only going to paint non-moving surfaces though.

                    im hesitant about getting it on external springs pins screws, etc. and there's no way id put it on parts that cycle through the action of a gun like a slide or bolt.

                    i also agree the pink doesnt look very consistent, but thats proabably alot harder to get even than a camo pattern.
                    USPSA Master TY-71084

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      A-J
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2011
                      • 2586

                      Originally posted by monorailboy
                      Hmm..I still see uneveness and areas that were missed ?? Why didn't you get it done professionally ?
                      As I stated in the OP, I was not happy with the overall situation that was originally arranged. I'm not going int ofurther detail because I don't want to "out" anyone on the forums.

                      Originally posted by chiz
                      Honestly it looks horrible. it looks like you tried to put it together before the paint was completly dry.
                      Originally posted by monorailboy
                      you ruined it !
                      Everyone's entitled to their opinion. The wife is happy with it, and that's what counts.

                      Originally posted by Bobby Hated
                      i just ordered a CADPAT pack for one of my AR's. im only going to paint non-moving surfaces though.

                      im hesitant about getting it on external springs pins screws, etc. and there's no way id put it on parts that cycle through the action of a gun like a slide or bolt.

                      i also agree the pink doesnt look very consistent, but thats proabably alot harder to get even than a camo pattern.
                      The color is surprisingly consistent, but I'm not a skilled photog, so it doesn't show as well in the pics as it does IRL. You're def right about doing non moving surfaces. I had to remove a lot of paint just to get the slide to go onto the frame. And then a lot more to get it to function. The wife was adamnat that she wanted the slide done, so the slide got done.
                      It was not a threat. It was an exaggerated response to an uncompromising stance. I was taught never to make a threat unless you are prepared to carry it out and I am not a fan of carrying anything. Even watching other people carrying things makes me uncomfortable. Mainly because of the possibility they may ask me to help.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        beatstanfurd
                        Member
                        • Oct 2011
                        • 414

                        Happy wife = happy life

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          jingerale
                          Senior Member
                          • May 2011
                          • 1997

                          Originally posted by beatstanfurd
                          Happy wife = happy life
                          QFT. I'm not digging the paint job,personally, I'd much prefer Cerakote, but it ain't my gun. Your wife's happy, that's all it matters.

                          P.S. I have nothing against the color pink.
                          Don't have Activejunky yet? Use this, we both get $10.
                          https://www.activejunky.com/invite/187782
                          Swagbucks, we both get $3.
                          http://www.swagbucks.com/p/register?rb=16618665
                          What about Ebates? click below
                          https://www.ebates.com/r/CEECEE318?eeid=28187
                          Lemoney referral link
                          http://www.lemoney.com/i/jin-rewards...8f24fc1c4ccc17
                          BeFrugal referral link
                          https://www.befrugal.com/referral/?ref=PBPSEAE&s=5

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          UA-8071174-1