Ok, this is just a hypothetical, I don't need help or advice or anything like, I am posting it in the gunsmithing section in hopes I can get a more detailed answer than a two or three word response - an actual functional response. To the topic~~~~
Now I've never been in the military or had the luxury of holding an NFA item, but having a heavy interest in firearms and the mechanical aspect of things, as well as a healthy curiosity of the way things work, I've figured out in my mind the main function of parts on the M16 fire control group. I just can't seem to figure out why there are the differences in the M16 and AR15 hammer.
I understand the bobbed tail and the slightly different disconnector hook, but what about the other differences? The elongated hammer face? The wider body? The longer slopping edge towards the pivot pin? The only reasons I can think of is possibly more mass to slow hammer response once the auto sear releases it to give the bolt that much more time to engage in the barrel extension (or vice versa - remove un-needed material for a light faster ignition on the semi-auto 'sporting' AR) or possibly to give the hammer just that much more downward travel when the carrier moves to the rear. That still doesn't explain all the differences though; on the rest of the fire control group the changes are so simple that it's easy to tell their purpose, but on the hammer it has 3-4 differnces that just don't make sense to me (yet).
Anyone care to explain it to me? I spent all day at work thinking about it and my mind is going in circles now.
Now I've never been in the military or had the luxury of holding an NFA item, but having a heavy interest in firearms and the mechanical aspect of things, as well as a healthy curiosity of the way things work, I've figured out in my mind the main function of parts on the M16 fire control group. I just can't seem to figure out why there are the differences in the M16 and AR15 hammer.
I understand the bobbed tail and the slightly different disconnector hook, but what about the other differences? The elongated hammer face? The wider body? The longer slopping edge towards the pivot pin? The only reasons I can think of is possibly more mass to slow hammer response once the auto sear releases it to give the bolt that much more time to engage in the barrel extension (or vice versa - remove un-needed material for a light faster ignition on the semi-auto 'sporting' AR) or possibly to give the hammer just that much more downward travel when the carrier moves to the rear. That still doesn't explain all the differences though; on the rest of the fire control group the changes are so simple that it's easy to tell their purpose, but on the hammer it has 3-4 differnces that just don't make sense to me (yet).
Anyone care to explain it to me? I spent all day at work thinking about it and my mind is going in circles now.


Also M16 hammers do fit and function in AR receivers. you can use them all you want as long as you bob the hook off rendering the part useless for FA, there is no problems with disconector engagement as AR and M16 disconnectors are dimensionally equivalent with regards that the AR disconector has had its "tail" bobbed........ oh yeah please excuse spelling

Comment