Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Removing mil spec front sight on AR15, having issues OC Location

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • cwiz
    Member
    • Jan 2010
    • 127

    Removing mil spec front sight on AR15, having issues OC Location

    EDIT: This is a Riflegear/Daniel defense complete upper

    The gas tube roll pin came out no problem with my 1/16" punch.

    I have been trying for a few hours to pound out the lower tapered pins for a few hours now... its really starting to tick me off. They haven't budged and i have bent my 1/16 punch after trying with the 1/8" punch for an hour. I have been following the instructions on youtube etc, hammering on the left side (looking from the stock down the gun)

    I just tried putting it in a vice with a small screw to get the pin started... it bent the tip of the 1/2" screw...

    Any idea how much it will cost to take it to riflegear or oc armory? Would this be the $35 complete upper service?

    EDIT: I'm replacing it with a low profile gas block, so it's not like i have been limp-wristing it because I'm afraid of scratching it. I JUST WANT IT GONE lol
    Last edited by cwiz; 01-22-2012, 4:36 PM.
  • #2
    big ron
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2010
    • 848

    you need to cut down the punch so it is really short, support the front sight on somehing hard and use a good size hammer. once they start to move, then use a longer punch to drive them the rest of the way out.

    Comment

    • #3
      G-forceJunkie
      Calguns Addict
      • Jul 2010
      • 6476

      If they are that tight, you probably need to press them out. By now, you probably have smashed the ends of the pins out making the matter worse. You may have to grind them flush then press them out.

      Comment

      • #4
        cwiz
        Member
        • Jan 2010
        • 127

        Yeah, i'm pretty sure the ends of the pins are not in the best shape. I'm going to take it to a gunsmith tomorrow if they can get me in. Thanks for the help guys.

        Comment

        • #5
          RLTW
          Member
          • Sep 2010
          • 261

          This may sound like a dumb idea... but now try punching the opposite of what you have been doing. Pins can go in left to right or Right to Left. It all depends who assembled the gas block. I have seen tapered gas pins in gas blocks and I have seen non-tapered.

          Also adding some oil to the pins will help coax them out. Can you post a pic? That really helps with trying to figure out what issues you are having.

          As G-Force said you may have to grind them. Or worst case cut them out.

          Good Luck

          Comment

          • #6
            jquest15@yahoo.com
            Junior Member
            • Jan 2012
            • 2

            If you look on the ends the pins are tapered, they only can be punched out oneway. right to left is the correct way, all those pins are pressed in by machines. And if you don't care to keep your sight, I found a dremel works wonders

            Comment

            • #7
              RLTW
              Member
              • Sep 2010
              • 261

              Originally posted by jquest15@yahoo.com
              If you look on the ends the pins are tapered, they only can be punched out oneway. right to left is the correct way, all those pins are pressed in by machines. And if you don't care to keep your sight, I found a dremel works wonders
              There not all pressed in by machines... Unless the guy I watched build uppers is a Cyborg..

              Comment

              Working...
              UA-8071174-1