Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

When to use a reinforcement plate

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • DavidRSA
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2009
    • 1154

    When to use a reinforcement plate

    Is this necessary for all AK's with side or under folding stocks? I am using a E German sidefolder. I was looking at the AK-builder reinforcement plate below:

    AK-Builder manufactures professional AK-47 and AK-74 building tools, riveting tools, barrel tools, jigs, fixtures, gunsmithing tools, parts and accessories.


    I noticed that Nodak sells their NDS-2SF sidefolder receiver both with and without the reinforcement plate. Under what circumstances do you choose either one?
    Last edited by DavidRSA; 12-28-2011, 5:19 AM.
  • #2
    tujungatoes
    Calguns Addict
    • Dec 2006
    • 7942

    unless you plan to shoot it alot with the stock folded it's unnecessary.
    sigpic
    Originally posted by Dr. Elky
    If your a man who wears white sunglasses, your probably a douche bag
    Originally posted by CSACANNONEER
    I've been know to cross dress and go the other way at certain events.

    Comment

    • #3
      858casper858
      CGN/CGSSA Contributor
      • Jan 2010
      • 772

      Originally posted by tujungatoes
      unless you plan to shoot it alot with the stock folded it's unnecessary.
      This was always my understanding. The plate is for reinforcing the pistol grip area when the stock is folded or on a pistol build. If you are locking your stock open then you don't really need it... BUT, if the law ever changes or you move to a different state or you use a long MB to meet minimum length when folded then you might want it in there now so you don't have to demil the trigger guard or refinish later.
      Last edited by 858casper858; 12-28-2011, 11:11 AM. Reason: Spelling

      Comment

      • #4
        AndrewMendez
        C3 Leader
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • Jan 2009
        • 6782

        I agree with tujunga, and was recently thinking about the same question. I googled the hell out of it a few weeks ago, and everyone seemed to think it was useless and just a precautionary piece.

        I wonder if one could just heat treat that area of the flat, similar to how you heat treat the holes.....

        AK Team....thoughts? I wouldn't worry about it.
        Need A Realtor in SoCal? Shoot me a PM. :cool:

        Comment

        • #5
          tujungatoes
          Calguns Addict
          • Dec 2006
          • 7942

          Heat treating it could be done, but might lead to some warpage. At that point I think the plate would be a better option. But like I said earlier unless you're not using a buttstock, the PG isn't forced to absorb much if any recoil force so it's really a non-issue
          sigpic
          Originally posted by Dr. Elky
          If your a man who wears white sunglasses, your probably a douche bag
          Originally posted by CSACANNONEER
          I've been know to cross dress and go the other way at certain events.

          Comment

          Working...
          UA-8071174-1