Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Colt 1911 Model 70 sight question

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • SA227driver
    Senior Member
    • Jun 2010
    • 1373

    Colt 1911 Model 70 sight question

    I recently acquired a Colt 1911 with a model 70 slide. The sights are not matching and the gun shoots low. This is a project gun and want to turn it into a fun shooter.

    I'm deciding whether or not to go with cutting the slide to allow for a dovetail front sight or stay with a staked sight. If I decide to go with a staked sight what dimensions am I looking for a front staked sight? I've seen sights that mention either wide or narrow front and a tenon of about .125". Does this sound right for a Gov't 70 model slide? The rear dovetail is an aftermarket cut. Would the best way for me to determine proper dimensions is just take it to a gunsmith and have him remove the current staked front sight and measure it?

    Thanks!
    NRA, CGF, GSSF, SAF member
    Certified Glock Armorer 2011, 2016

    "Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. -Psalm 144:1
  • #2
    BRUNO1911
    Senior Member
    • Oct 2005
    • 557

    SA227driver hope this is of some help http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=1...-Pistol-Sights

    Good luck
    Numbers 6:24-26

    May the LORD bless you and protect you.
    May the LORD smile on you
    and be gracious to you.
    May the LORD show you his favor
    and give you his peace.

    Amen

    Comment

    • #3
      p7m8jg
      Senior Member
      • Dec 2007
      • 1914

      I took my series 70 Govt model to a gunsmith and got it done right. MMC sights made a big difference from the standard 1911 GI sights.

      I recently put night sights on my son's RIA 1911 - replaced the front tenon sight and rear dovetail with Trijicon's. It wasn't too hard and I think it turned out OK. Although I know a real gunsmith would've done it better.

      Glock sights are way easier.

      Comment

      Working...
      UA-8071174-1