Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Need Help - while swapping out grip, pin fell out...

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • chiburi
    Member
    • Nov 2010
    • 319

    Need Help - while swapping out grip, pin fell out...

    Hi all,

    I was swapping out a grip on my friends .223 AR 15, and I just happened to turn the lower receiver upside down, and a pin about 3/8 of an inch fell out. I know it helps control the selection from safety to fire, as the selector switch (once squeezed) moves freely up and down. So, I can't figure out where this "pin" goes - any help would be much appreciated. We are going to go shoot tomorrow, and I want to ensure this pin is back in place. I just can't figure out where it goes on the selector switch within the receiver.

    See attached for a pic of the pin. It fits somewhere near the fire/safety switch...

    Chib

    Attached Files
    Oh, that a man's reach should exceed his grasp...
  • #2
  • #3
    DREADNOUGHT78
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    CGN Contributor
    • Jan 2009
    • 4147

    That is not a selector detent. That looks like takedown pin detent. It goes either goes into the rear of the receiver before the detent spring followed by the end plate castle nut or the A2 stock whichever you may have. I doubt it came out of the front takedown pin. If that came out of the bottom of your receiver when you pulled the pistol grip your lower was built wrong. I may be incorrect but from the picture and your description that is what I come up with.
    Last edited by DREADNOUGHT78; 08-20-2011, 7:41 PM.

    Comment

    • #4
      DREADNOUGHT78
      CGN/CGSSA Contributor
      CGN Contributor
      • Jan 2009
      • 4147

      If your selector detent needs to be re-installed it goes into the small hole in the bottom of the receiver near the pistol grip mount first then put your selector detent spring into your pistol grip and install. Here are pics of the two.

      Selector detent:


      Takedown pin:


      Selector Detent goes here:


      The pin in your photo would go into the small hole in the rear of the receiver:
      Last edited by DREADNOUGHT78; 08-20-2011, 7:45 PM.

      Comment

      • #5
        chiburi
        Member
        • Nov 2010
        • 319

        Yeah, it wasn't the detent pin (I don't think), It was the rear takedown pin. There was only a spring there for the lower detent (that I was aware of before this fell out).

        Does the takedown pin go into the griip, with the pin on top? OR., does the spring go into the grip, and the pin goes inside the top of the spring?

        Thanks guys, I'm going to go take it apart and get it working

        Chib
        Last edited by chiburi; 08-20-2011, 7:50 PM.
        Oh, that a man's reach should exceed his grasp...

        Comment

        • #6
          DREADNOUGHT78
          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
          CGN Contributor
          • Jan 2009
          • 4147

          Did you pull the buttstock off?

          Try looking through this link maybe it will help you.

          Last edited by DREADNOUGHT78; 08-20-2011, 7:48 PM.

          Comment

          • #7
            chiburi
            Member
            • Nov 2010
            • 319

            ok, so I had two issues. The selector detent wasn't "catching", so I took off the grip and ensured the spring was lined up. Then, the takedown pin did fall out, that's what I had taken a picutre of. Thanks guys, it's all good to go now!

            chib
            Oh, that a man's reach should exceed his grasp...

            Comment

            • #8
              DREADNOUGHT78
              CGN/CGSSA Contributor
              CGN Contributor
              • Jan 2009
              • 4147

              Right on!

              Comment

              • #9
                docflash
                Member
                • Jul 2010
                • 235

                Man, I love this place. Somebody asks a question, and he gets an answer with pictures and everything with no criticism. Good going, guys.
                Sig Sauer Certified Armorer, P-Series Pistols
                Sig Sauer Certified Armorer, P320 Pistol

                Comment

                • #10
                  chiburi
                  Member
                  • Nov 2010
                  • 319

                  Amen! now, just to tackle installing my own trigger assembly and lower parts kit! JK, I am a ways from that!

                  Thanks again!

                  Chib
                  Oh, that a man's reach should exceed his grasp...

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  UA-8071174-1