Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

CNC Mill in Socal

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Slave
    Junior Member
    • Jul 2011
    • 14

    CNC Mill in Socal

    Hello,

    I've shot and owned guns before so this is nothing new but I'm new to gunsmithing and building my own guns and I was going to attempt a 1911 build project. I know they aren't recommended for newbies so that's why I am asking if I buy a complete parts kit and a 60% steel frame, is there anyone in the southern california area with a CNC mill or just a mill with 1911 experience who can help me out an entire afternoon (even if we have to meet more than once) so I can mill out the frame and I can do the rest once the frame is complete. Of course your time will be compensated. Thanks in advance for responses.

    Matt
    Last edited by Slave; 07-25-2011, 4:21 PM.
    Fiat Money | Crony Capitalism | Our Debt Visualized | Debt Limit | Crash Course
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul
  • #2
    ChuckD
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2010
    • 1339

    I am interested in doing this too. Maybe we can get a group together for a 1911 build party?

    Comment

    • #3
      couch
      Senior Member
      • Aug 2009
      • 986

      I'm interested in this. I have a mill, but need a lot more tools to run multiple 1911 frames. I've finished one and it came out great, but I'd like to mill another before I have anyone machine their own with me.

      Comment

      • #4
        golden
        Member
        • Jul 2010
        • 176

        I'm also interested. Makes it 4 of us now. What kind of tools do you need couch? A 1911 jig or other machining tools? If you need a jig maybe we can all chip in and buy you the KTO 1911 jig on their site if that is of use. A build party might be too hectic with anything over 5 people since none of us are experts but maybe we can meet individually or in pairs to work on them?

        How did your first one go time wise to complete and the end quality?

        Comment

        • #5
          jojo8080
          Member
          • Feb 2010
          • 128

          I saw someone on another forum ( weaponsguild?) who took a completed 1911 frame and transferred with punches the holes to two flats of steel to make a template and jig to bolt the unfinished frame to. Ill look for a link or some puctures

          I'd love to do a 1911 but I know it will be a few years. Just looking for info and keeping an eye out for frame deals

          Gunbroker has an auction fo a 60 frame right now for $75 no reserve. Looks like a cast RIA

          Comment

          • #6
            couch
            Senior Member
            • Aug 2009
            • 986

            Originally posted by golden
            I'm also interested. Makes it 4 of us now. What kind of tools do you need couch? A 1911 jig or other machining tools? If you need a jig maybe we can all chip in and buy you the KTO 1911 jig on their site if that is of use. A build party might be too hectic with anything over 5 people since none of us are experts but maybe we can meet individually or in pairs to work on them?

            How did your first one go time wise to complete and the end quality?
            I have a small manual mill with a CNC 4th axis and an engine lathe at home. I work in a machine shop with a few CNC mills, but we can't get a group together there, as much as I'd love to. If anything we can use my manual machines (we'd have to keep the group very small) or get together at a shop with a CNC mill and bang them out faster.

            I have assorted endmills and a few I ground by hand, but I would like to buy some nice tooling that will last longer than the ones I modified to work. I have a grip bushing tap already. We'll need reamers though, depending on whats already finished on the frames. A few holes were already finished on the frame I got so I didn't need them. I don't have a barrel fixture, so I spent a ton of time with a file to make everything fit. I also have a Weigand Frame fixture, but it isn't very versatile. I'll be picking up one of these as soon as more are available.


            (image source linked above)

            Here are some shots (photos aren't great) of the one I finished (still needs sights)



            I've finished up an AR lower as well.

            Comment

            • #7
              jojo8080
              Member
              • Feb 2010
              • 128

              Couch, That is a very nice Jig.

              this is the link to the DIY jig I was talking about (From Weaponeer) http://www.weaponeer.net/forum/forum...?TID=6889&PN=1

              Also a Weaponeer link for 1911 dimentions and blueprints that I found in searching for the above

              Comment

              • #8
                couch
                Senior Member
                • Aug 2009
                • 986

                Prints and CAD files can be downloaded on cncguns.com and firearmfiles.com

                I have a few hours in the machining/setup alone. This is my only 1911 so I had nothing to reference aside from the prints. Now that I'm familiar with everything I can do the next one a lot quicker.

                Comment

                • #9
                  golden
                  Member
                  • Jul 2010
                  • 176

                  couch, very nice work for your first 1911 frame. You make it easy haha. If I could end up having mine look like that I would be such a happy camper.

                  Is there a type of unfinished frame you recommend? I was going to buy this one from KTO but they are a bit on the expensive side and if it's not necessary I would obviously just buy a less pricey product.

                  Brownells also has a ridiculous amount of unfinished frames.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    couch
                    Senior Member
                    • Aug 2009
                    • 986

                    The KTO frames look really nice, but as you mentioned they are a bit expensive.

                    The only reason I built mine from a % was because I can't buy a frame alone in CA. I'd gladly buy a Wilson Combat if I could.

                    I wonder if we could get a group buy together for one of the big names in 1911's and have them omit the ops necessary to make it a paperweight.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      couch
                      Senior Member
                      • Aug 2009
                      • 986

                      This thread shows a lot of the detail when starting from just a casting.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        goober
                        CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                        CGN Contributor
                        • Sep 2008
                        • 4875

                        i'm also in the "planning a 1911 build" club. have a KTO 80% and several SARCO "decorator" 60-80% frames...
                        that jig looks nice, couch...
                        Live between Santa Cruz and SLO? Want to get involved?
                        Check out the Central Coast Calguns Community Chapter
                        And join the Central Coast Region Social Group!
                        sigpic
                        NRA Life Member - CRPA Life & Board Member - SAF Life Member - Monterey County Carry Initiative Sponsor
                        Statements posted here are the sole opinions of the author and not those
                        of CGN, CGF, CRPA, or any other institution or agency unless otherwise noted.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          golden
                          Member
                          • Jul 2010
                          • 176

                          Originally posted by couch
                          This thread shows a lot of the detail when starting from just a casting.

                          http://www.weaponeer.net/forum/forum...TID=10185&PN=1
                          That's a very interesting thread. I skimmed it and a lot of info. I just ordered a kit from sarco and getting ready for a possible attempt but it would always be nice to have someone experienced help because frames aren't cheap to blow through.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            couch
                            Senior Member
                            • Aug 2009
                            • 986

                            Can you link to the kit you ordered?

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              golden
                              Member
                              • Jul 2010
                              • 176

                              Only place I could find a decent medium quality kit with everything needed minus the frame. I didn't want to go through brownells and buy every single part cherry picked from their wide range of almost dizzying selections.

                              I just wanted to get a ready kit for building with decently respectable quality so I can start off my first build.



                              What do you think?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1