Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

1911 9mm frame same as .45ACP?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    kcstott
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Nov 2011
    • 11796

    Can we get the terminology right guys. It's not an upper. it's a slide or slide assembly. It's also not a lower, its a frame.

    Comment

    • #17
      redcliff
      Calguns Addict
      • Feb 2008
      • 5676

      You are really asking for trouble trying to use a .45acp Government frame to buld a 9mm Commander. Not only for some of the reasons already mentioned but Commander frames are different (shorter frame rails and repositioned recoil abuttment) than 5" Government model type frames in order to allow for more slide travel. Even then a true Commander gives up a bit of slide travel compared to a Government model.

      9mm slides also have different breachfaces so no you shouldnt use a .45acp slide either.

      You might consider looking for a C&R (stock, 50 years old or older) Colt 9mm Commander on Gunbroker; production started in 1950. C&R's are roster exempt, or you can look for a model you can SSE at a cooperative dealer. I have a 1952 9mm Commander and its a great pistol.
      Last edited by redcliff; 01-26-2013, 9:48 AM.
      "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
      "What we get away with isn't usually the same as what's good for us"
      "An extended slide stop is the second most useless part you can put on a 1911"

      "While Ruger DA revolvers may be built like a tank, they have the aesthetics of one also,
      although I suppose there are a few tanks which I owe an apology to for that remark"

      Comment

      • #18
        keenkeen
        Calguns Addict
        • May 2011
        • 6782

        Originally posted by Bullwinkle

        I like the buying option over the converting, for sure... but don't exactly want to spend $1,250 (MSRP) for a SA Loaded model.
        Should be able to find one for $950ish if you keep you eyes peeled..SA does batch production, they are pretty scarce right now but when at some point you will see a bunch in stock. Buy then because they go quick...
        "But far more numerous was the herd of such, Who think too little and who talk too much." -John Dryden

        Comment

        • #19
          JackRydden224
          Calguns Addict
          • Aug 2011
          • 7229

          I have an ATI Thunderbolt (railed, checkered front strap) and a Les Baer on the way. Once I have the Les Baer I have no need to have two 1911s in .45 ACP. As long as I can covert my Thunderbolt frame to shoot 9mm at a reasonable cost then that's what is going to be.

          The only railed 9mm 1911 I know of is STI's Duty One

          Comment

          Working...
          UA-8071174-1