Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

AMD-65 mystery hole?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • antix2
    Member
    • Feb 2010
    • 141

    AMD-65 mystery hole?

    Does anyone know what that 2nd hole in the AMD-65 handguard retainer is for?

    sigpic
  • #2
    Alexthewelder
    Senior Member
    • May 2009
    • 878

    Not sure but what kind of grips are those? I've seen them once before and thought they look pretty nice. I'm getting an amd65 soon
    AK BUILD PARTY OCT 16th, 2010
    http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=333079
    AK BUILD PARTY JULY 17th, 2010
    http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=308158
    AK BUILD PARTY MAR ?, 2010
    http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=263078
    AK BUILD PARTY DEC 5th, 2009
    http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=235197

    Comment

    • #3
      bigthaiboy
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • 4795

      Originally posted by antix2
      Does anyone know what that 2nd hole in the AMD-65 handguard retainer is for?
      I've noticed the extra holes there too. I can't give you a definitive answer, but my guess would be, they are extra ventilation holes. Those metal handguards can get very hot especially after a few mags of full auto fire, since there is no heatshield under the handguard.


      Originally posted by Alexthewelder
      Not sure but what kind of grips are those? I've seen them once before and thought they look pretty nice. I'm getting an amd65 soon
      Looks like the OP has grafted some new grips over the original grey plastic grips.

      Life can make you do many things, even kiss a man with a runny nose.

      Comment

      • #4
        antix2
        Member
        • Feb 2010
        • 141

        The grips are just bicycle tire inner tube on top of the original AMD plastics.
        sigpic

        Comment

        • #5
          Faust
          Senior Member
          • May 2007
          • 839

          honey hole?
          Screw the environment! The sooner we trash this place the sooner we will have the political will to explore space and conquer the known universe, spreading like locust we will plunder, crush new enemies, take their women and if we are lucky, we shall meet our fate on the battlefield.
          Faust.

          Comment

          • #6
            SJgunguy24
            I need a LIFE!!
            • May 2008
            • 14849

            Venting, that's why there is a second grip on the handguard, if not you may not have as much skin as you started with.
            There are 3 kinds of people in this world.
            The wise, learn from the mistakes of others.
            The smart, learn from their own mistakes.
            The others, well......they just never learn.

            "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death!"
            Patrick Henry.

            Comment

            • #7
              antix2
              Member
              • Feb 2010
              • 141

              Really?
              You guys think the 2nd hole in the retainer, same size and next to the cleaning rod hole, is for 'venting'? There's 5 small holes in the rim of the retainer and 10 on each side of the actual handguard that have plenty of opening up top towards the gas tube and Hungary isn't exactly a tropical place.

              Nothing on the retainer in the manual as far as I can tell.
              sigpic

              Comment

              • #8
                SJgunguy24
                I need a LIFE!!
                • May 2008
                • 14849

                Originally posted by antix2
                Really?
                You guys think the 2nd hole in the retainer, same size and next to the cleaning rod hole, is for 'venting'? There's 5 small holes in the rim of the retainer and 10 on each side of the actual handguard that have plenty of opening up top towards the gas tube and Hungary isn't exactly a tropical place.

                Nothing on the retainer in the manual as far as I can tell.
                I'll tell you what, remove the forward grip, run 50 rounds through that gun as fast as you can.
                Then grab the handguard and tell me that gun doesn't need extra venting.
                Don't forget, the standard AMD 65 has a 12.5" barrel, how quick do you think 12.5" of barrel heats up on full auto?
                There are 3 kinds of people in this world.
                The wise, learn from the mistakes of others.
                The smart, learn from their own mistakes.
                The others, well......they just never learn.

                "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death!"
                Patrick Henry.

                Comment

                • #9
                  antix2
                  Member
                  • Feb 2010
                  • 141

                  Sorry if that came across as argumentative. No doubt it needs all the venting it can get.
                  I was just thinking it is a hole that look just like the one that has another use (rod) and maybe at some point it was design for something but let's just go with venting then.

                  No, I have no intentions of grabbing the handguard while, of shortly after, shooting more than a couple of rounds, I'll stick to the grip.
                  Last edited by antix2; 09-18-2010, 1:33 AM.
                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    NSR500
                    Banned
                    • Aug 2006
                    • 19530

                    My best guess would be for a cleaning rod extension, but that's probably not the correct reason for that hole.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Ford8N
                      Banned
                      • Sep 2002
                      • 6129

                      It's for extra venting. A Hungarian guy posted on another AK site. He had worked in the factory that made the 63 and 65.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        antix2
                        Member
                        • Feb 2010
                        • 141

                        Thanks, doesn't look like I'm missing any special attachments then.

                        sigpic

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          bigthaiboy
                          Veteran Member
                          • Apr 2007
                          • 4795

                          Originally posted by antix2
                          Thanks, doesn't look like I'm missing any special attachments then.

                          There you go, now all you need is a short girlfriend with a flat head, so you have somewhere to rest your beer.

                          Life can make you do many things, even kiss a man with a runny nose.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            NSR500
                            Banned
                            • Aug 2006
                            • 19530

                            LOL!

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              gunn
                              Senior Member
                              • Nov 2007
                              • 1536

                              If others are offering inane answers, my vote are that the holes are for weight reduction
                              -g
                              Play it Forward Thread: Share with your Fellow Calgunners by Giving Something for FREE and Take Something you Need for FREE!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1