Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

recived my ak builder tools today

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • straykiller
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2010
    • 2573

    recived my ak builder tools today

    As i was working on my workbench for my gun building habits i finally received my tools, perfect timing i was able to get everything set up and bend my first flat, i know for allot of you its been there done that but it was something new to me and had a blast, the ak builder jig is awsome the flat bent perfectly without a single hiccup and looked great.



    also got to do the heat treating of the rails and the fcg pin holes, thats about the extent of what i got complete today.



    but all in all it was a good day my build progressed a bit and i got my workbench done which will give me much needed room for builds and help stay more organized.





    the kit i bought was from centerfire the 100 dollar one and came in good condition, i know building a kit with a new barrel for you first build is not recommended for the first time builder, but i like the challenge and think i can tackle it, ill post more pics as the build progresses.


    Zombie Stickers For Sale

    ClassifiedWeapons.com

    Looking for a particular parts kit? Check out our parts kit locator that is automatically updated every 6 hours. Now you can see parts kits being offered by multiple websites in one location. Just select the parts kit button on the right of the home page to begin looking.
    -------
    Home Builds- 1919a4, Sten Mk3, Romy G Ak-47, PSL Pistol,Romanian RPK
  • #2
    golden
    Member
    • Jul 2010
    • 176

    Good luck I have the same kit except I'm slightly less prepared because I don't have all the tools but it should be a fun kit to put together. How easy was the bending and heat treating for you since it was your first time?

    Comment

    • #3
      straykiller
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2010
      • 2573

      bending was super easy, as for heat treating it went well i think i found a pretty good write up that help me with the annealing process of the rails, after you heat treat them and quench them clean off all the carbon and throw them in a metal pan and cover them with dot 3 brake fluid, then light it on fire and let it burn away i guess is anneals it evenly and pretty well because it burns at 750 degrees, i guess ill find out soon enough if that method worked as well as its supposed to. but to make my long answer short pretty easy my buddie was over so i had him move the torch around while i held the pieces and quenched them.


      Zombie Stickers For Sale

      ClassifiedWeapons.com

      Looking for a particular parts kit? Check out our parts kit locator that is automatically updated every 6 hours. Now you can see parts kits being offered by multiple websites in one location. Just select the parts kit button on the right of the home page to begin looking.
      -------
      Home Builds- 1919a4, Sten Mk3, Romy G Ak-47, PSL Pistol,Romanian RPK

      Comment

      • #4
        SJgunguy24
        I need a LIFE!!
        • May 2008
        • 14849

        Do you have headspace gauges? Your gonna need those to build a cut barreled kit. You only need to heat treat the ejector tip, and how are you going to install the rails? Spot weld, plug weld, or screws?
        There are 3 kinds of people in this world.
        The wise, learn from the mistakes of others.
        The smart, learn from their own mistakes.
        The others, well......they just never learn.

        "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death!"
        Patrick Henry.

        Comment

        • #5
          4thSBCT
          Banned
          • Mar 2009
          • 2047

          I see a beautiful addiction in full blossum

          Comment

          • #6
            motorhead
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2008
            • 3409

            welcome to the dark side.
            sigpic Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

            Comment

            • #7
              Sky_DiveR
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2008
              • 3017

              Originally posted by straykiller
              ...also got to do the heat treating of the rails and the fcg pin holes, thats about the extent of what i got complete today.

              Did you take the pic early or did you just heat treat just one pin hole? Aren't ya supposed to heat both the "Y" and "X" pin holes? And have fun building your kit. It should be a blast.

              BTW: sjgunguy, I hadn't thought of using screws to install the rails... does that really work?
              Last edited by Sky_DiveR; 08-18-2010, 2:04 PM.

              Comment

              • #8
                SJgunguy24
                I need a LIFE!!
                • May 2008
                • 14849

                Originally posted by Sky_DiveR
                Did you take the pic early or did you just heat treat just one pin hole? Aren't ya supposed to heat both the "Y" and "X" pin holes? And have fun building your kit. It should be a blast.

                BTW: sjgunguy, I hadn't thought of using screws to install the rails... does that really work?
                I've seen guns built like that but for myself I have zero experience with that method of construction. I weld the rails and rivet the trunnions like they're supposed to be done.
                There are 3 kinds of people in this world.
                The wise, learn from the mistakes of others.
                The smart, learn from their own mistakes.
                The others, well......they just never learn.

                "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death!"
                Patrick Henry.

                Comment

                • #9
                  tujungatoes
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Dec 2006
                  • 7942

                  Originally posted by 4thSBCT
                  I see a beautiful addiction in full blossum
                  not quite yet.....but soon
                  sigpic
                  Originally posted by Dr. Elky
                  If your a man who wears white sunglasses, your probably a douche bag
                  Originally posted by CSACANNONEER
                  I've been know to cross dress and go the other way at certain events.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    straykiller
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2010
                    • 2573

                    Originally posted by fredieusa
                    I like your HD press! It has solid written all over it.

                    Did you make it yourself?
                    no i actually found it on craigslist for a hundred bucks and jumped on it, 20 ton with air hookup hell ya lol, its extremely sturdy, the guy i got it from did a good job building it

                    Originally posted by SJgunguy24
                    Do you have headspace gauges? Your gonna need those to build a cut barreled kit. You only need to heat treat the ejector tip, and how are you going to install the rails? Spot weld, plug weld, or screws?
                    yes i do i bought a no go and go gauge when i ordered all my tools, and ive decided to just spot weld them, i bought a spot welder today and modified the prongs to fit inside the receiver

                    Originally posted by Sky_DiveR
                    Did you take the pic early or did you just heat treat just one pin hole? Aren't ya supposed to heat both the "Y" and "X" pin holes? And have fun building your kit. It should be a blast.

                    BTW: sjgunguy, I hadn't thought of using screws to install the rails... does that really work?
                    from what ive seen only the fcg holes need to be heat treated, correct me if im wrong

                    Originally posted by 4thSBCT
                    I see a beautiful addiction in full blossum
                    lol ya on the ak side of it, my browning 1919a4 was my first build and got me hooked, just finished a sten mk3 recently and was craving something more difficult and the ak just seemed perfect lol, plus now i have all the tools after i build a few a become knowledgeable i can host a few small build parties in central cali, and let some other cal-gunners benefit from them to
                    Last edited by straykiller; 08-18-2010, 11:22 PM.


                    Zombie Stickers For Sale

                    ClassifiedWeapons.com

                    Looking for a particular parts kit? Check out our parts kit locator that is automatically updated every 6 hours. Now you can see parts kits being offered by multiple websites in one location. Just select the parts kit button on the right of the home page to begin looking.
                    -------
                    Home Builds- 1919a4, Sten Mk3, Romy G Ak-47, PSL Pistol,Romanian RPK

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Sky_DiveR
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2008
                      • 3017

                      Originally posted by straykiller
                      no i actually found it on craigslist for a hundred bucks and jumped on it, 20 ton with air hookup hell ya lol, its extremely sturdy, the guy i got it from did a good job building it

                      from what ive seen only the fcg holes need to be heat treated, correct me if im wrong
                      WOW! That is a heck of a deal on the press with air hook-ups and all. Why can't I run into those kind of deals? Actually, I guess I need to troll Craigslist to find 'em, huh? if ya still got the phone number of the guy, can I get it from ya. I want a 20ton press for a $100 too.

                      Umm.... Uh.... hate to break it to ya, but the "X" and "Y" holes are the fcg pin holes. I also don't recall the hole to the right of the "X" hole in your pic (I know the hole to the left is for the center support). Is that a hole or just a glitch in the pic?
                      Last edited by Sky_DiveR; 08-18-2010, 11:39 PM.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        mydogsmonkey
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2009
                        • 4166

                        Originally posted by straykiller
                        from what ive seen only the fcg holes need to be heat treated, correct me if im wrong
                        the X and Y are the FCG holes, how many holes did you heat treat, 2 or 4 all together?

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          69Mach1
                          Super Moderator
                          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                          • Jan 2006
                          • 15032

                          Good job.

                          I need that press.
                          sigpic
                          69Mach1
                          munkeeboi
                          TURBOELKY
                          antix2
                          WTSGDYBBR
                          tujungatoes
                          jmpgnr24K

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            SJgunguy24
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • May 2008
                            • 14849

                            Originally posted by 69Mach1
                            Good job.

                            I need that press.
                            Get the plans, and the material, and I can make that happen.
                            There are 3 kinds of people in this world.
                            The wise, learn from the mistakes of others.
                            The smart, learn from their own mistakes.
                            The others, well......they just never learn.

                            "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death!"
                            Patrick Henry.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              straykiller
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 2010
                              • 2573

                              Originally posted by mydogsmonkey
                              the X and Y are the FCG holes, how many holes did you heat treat, 2 or 4 all together?
                              4 all together

                              Originally posted by Sky_DiveR
                              WOW! That is a heck of a deal on the press with air hook-ups and all. Why can't I run into those kind of deals? Actually, I guess I need to troll Craigslist to find 'em, huh? if ya still got the phone number of the guy, can I get it from ya. I want a 20ton press for a $100 too.

                              Umm.... Uh.... hate to break it to ya, but the "X" and "Y" holes are the fcg pin holes. I also don't recall the hole to the right of the "X" hole in your pic (I know the hole to the left is for the center support). Is that a hole or just a glitch in the pic?

                              lol ya i saw it and couldn't pass it up, the good thing to it was in town so i didnt have to drive forever to pick it up lol, the only thing i had to get was an arbor plate, a quick run down to the scrap yard fixed that,ill look around if i find a good deal on one ill pm you the info, and ya sorry i was hella out of it last night the pics were early, they're done i guess i put the wrong pic up
                              Last edited by straykiller; 08-19-2010, 8:35 AM.


                              Zombie Stickers For Sale

                              ClassifiedWeapons.com

                              Looking for a particular parts kit? Check out our parts kit locator that is automatically updated every 6 hours. Now you can see parts kits being offered by multiple websites in one location. Just select the parts kit button on the right of the home page to begin looking.
                              -------
                              Home Builds- 1919a4, Sten Mk3, Romy G Ak-47, PSL Pistol,Romanian RPK

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1