Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

AR pistol build?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Brambo
    Junior Member
    • Jul 2010
    • 26

    AR pistol build?

    What's the legal issues of building a AR pistol? Can I use a 80% lower? I imagine it has to be 10rnd and a bullet button, or if it's a pistol can I use the regular button all the lower parts kits come with? I know I can't put a forward pistol grip, what about a magpul AFG?
  • #2
    Grumpyoldretiredcop
    Calguns Addict
    • Sep 2008
    • 6437

    Yes, you can use an 80% lower. That's one of the 3 ways to obtain an AR pistol (if I've counted right).

    It must have a magazine lock (Bullet Button, Raddlock, etc.). No, you may not use the standard magazine release.

    You may legally insert magazines of 10 rounds' capacity or less.

    Opinions vary with regard to the MagPul AFG as to whether it could be considered a "forward pistol grip". I wouldn't add that feature.

    Scout around the various threads in the "California Handguns" and "Gunsmithing and How To" forums and the "Handgun Flowchart" for more information.
    Last edited by Grumpyoldretiredcop; 07-17-2010, 11:27 PM.
    I'm retired. That's right, retired. I don't want to hear about the cop who stopped you today or how you didn't think you should get a ticket. That just makes me grumpy!

    Comment

    • #3
      Brambo
      Junior Member
      • Jul 2010
      • 26

      So does anyone know if I have to put a serial number on it and register it as a hand gun? Is there a fee to register a handgun I make?

      Comment

      • #4
        ke6guj
        Moderator
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • Nov 2003
        • 23725

        Originally posted by Brambo
        So does anyone know if I have to put a serial number on it and register it as a hand gun?
        there is no legal requirement that you serialize it (unless you sell it, then you must put name, city, state, serial), or that you register it.
        Is there a fee to register a handgun I make?
        if you do decide to register it, it is $19 to do a volreg.
        Jack



        Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

        No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

        Comment

        • #5
          sava6e
          Member
          • Mar 2007
          • 289

          if im not mistaken, there is no requirement to register it either!!!

          Comment

          • #6
            ke6guj
            Moderator
            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
            • Nov 2003
            • 23725

            correct.
            Jack



            Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

            No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

            Comment

            Working...
            UA-8071174-1