Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Need a Mosin counterbored.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • AirNavBlue
    Junior Member
    • Apr 2009
    • 36

    Need a Mosin counterbored.

    Hi all, I've been registered on this forum for a while now, I lurk but never post. But now I need some help and I'm hoping you all can help. I am from the SF Bay Area.

    About 4 months ago, I purchased a Mosin Nagant 91/30 just for fun. While inspecting the rifle, I checked everything except for the muzzle (huge mistake). I checked the barrel with a bore light and it looked fine, and the muzzle looked fine at first glance.

    Well, it turns out that the rifling is worn at the tip on the barrel. About 1/2" to 3/4" of the rifling at the end of the barrel is completely gone. One side is more worn than the other, when I insert a bullet tip into the muzzle to check the wear of the muzzle, it would wobble to one side every time.

    The barrel needs to be counterbored badly. I've called several gunsmiths and they have told me they can't do it (Tabor's, Imbert and Smithers, a couple others here and there). I've searched around the net and came across a post on another forum that said that this could be done at home with a cordless drill (I HIGHLY doubt it, even if it could be done, I wouldn't dare try). I would much rather take it to a gunsmith, but I hear it's going to cost more than the price I paid for the rifle.

    Are there any gunsmiths in the SF Bay Area that could counterbore my Mosin for me? Is it even worth counterboring or should I just leave it alone? And IF it could be done at home, what should I do?
    "From my cold, dead hands!"

    -Charlton Heston
  • #2
    Z ME FLY
    Calguns Addict
    • Mar 2008
    • 6590

    AR15barrels aka Randall is a good guy to talk to.
    Originally posted by 69Mach1
    The virgin requires more work (don't they all )

    Originally posted by 69Mach1
    Z gets around. lol

    Comment

    • #3
      ar15barrels
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Jan 2006
      • 57177

      If it was not for needing the front sight, I would say just cut it down and re-crown with one of those handheld crowning cutters.
      Randall Rausch

      AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
      Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
      Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
      Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
      Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

      Comment

      • #4
        Hateca
        Senior Member
        • Oct 2005
        • 677

        The gunsmiths you called are right, it would cost more then the rifle is worth and there would be no garentee that it would even shoot any better.

        I think your money would better be spent searching and inspecting a different Mosin Nagant.

        One of the first things you look at is the muzzle since almost always this will show wear due to the cleaning rod.
        sigpic

        "Those that don't shouldn't. Those that do should"

        Comment

        • #5
          Noonanda
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2005
          • 3404

          have you shot it to see how it shoots yet? It might still shoot minute of paper plate
          "You see in this world theres two kinds of people my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig... You Dig" Blondie from TGBU

          Comment

          • #6
            AirNavBlue
            Junior Member
            • Apr 2009
            • 36

            I have shot about 120 rounds through it, it shoots 8" - 10" high and well over a foot to the right (sometimes in the next lane!). I have drifted the front sight but it still hits way off to the right. The groupings are horrible, it's shooting all over the target, but most of the time not even hitting paper at 100 yards.
            "From my cold, dead hands!"

            -Charlton Heston

            Comment

            • #7
              6mmintl
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2008
              • 4822

              I can do it in my lathe, have proper reamers, only need stripped receiver.

              Frank

              Comment

              • #8
                AirNavBlue
                Junior Member
                • Apr 2009
                • 36

                I sent you a PM 6mmintl. Thanks.
                "From my cold, dead hands!"

                -Charlton Heston

                Comment

                • #9
                  vincentvangerven
                  Senior Member
                  • Apr 2010
                  • 693

                  yup, sent pm as well ...i got one of those clunckers too

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    vincentvangerven
                    Senior Member
                    • Apr 2010
                    • 693

                    went by Frank this sunday, he did an awesome job

                    thanks Frank!

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    UA-8071174-1