Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

newer style 80% spec question

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    Seesm
    Calguns Addict
    • Nov 2008
    • 7812

    THat is a Q-L lower right... From what I have done you will go a little thinner up front... if you need come on up I will help you out by letting you use my mill.

    Comment

    • #17
      ar15barrels
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Jan 2006
      • 57179

      Originally posted by ke6guj
      It looks like you may be able to get the FC cavity within 0-.050" of center, and have it be the proper width, which shouldn't be a problem.
      If you are 0.050" off center with the fire control pocket, you may have problems fitting the selector to the trigger.
      Do it right or scrap it, start over and call it a learning experience.
      Randall Rausch

      AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
      Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
      Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
      Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
      Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

      Comment

      • #18
        ke6guj
        Moderator
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • Nov 2003
        • 23725

        yah Randall, I was just guestimating that it could be .050" off center and still be able to have the hammer make it into the BCG without issues. I wasn't thinking about the safety having to line up as well. And even that could be made to work, but it would take work.

        I would mark the lower with Dykem and mark out what the FC cavity should look like and see if I could make it work. Looking at the small drill holes and then the divot of the larger one, it appears that the small drill holes may not be out to the final dimension, but since I haven't done a "drill out the FC cavity" build, I don't know.

        Heck, looking at it further, I'd say that I'd probably mill out the FC cavity on center, and live with a couple vertical grooves on the right side, as long as the the FC pins lined up on the flat. But as I mentioned, I'd mark out where the FC cavity should be and see how off you really are.
        Jack



        Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

        No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

        Comment

        • #19
          savs2k
          Senior Member
          • Jan 2007
          • 1807

          yeah its a q-l lower. There out of stock right now or id have another on the way and attempt to fix this without admitting failure. What i was going to do was use dykem and mark the correct pocket and mill it by eye and a micrometer. The smaller holes won't be too much of a problem. I can just make a 1/2" diameter hole in the center of the pocket and use the 3/8 end mill to clean it up. But the 3/8 holes that are done might be too far out. The FC cavity is really close to the red outline. at most .005 off either way.
          The selector should be fine since i havent milled enough meat out on that side. I'm just worry about the the hammer not fitting right and not have clearance to strike the firing pin. Even after that if the side of the hammer isn't close to wall, can the hammer walk on the hammer pin and not line up with the trigger?

          Comment

          • #20
            goober
            CGN/CGSSA Contributor
            CGN Contributor
            • Sep 2008
            • 4875

            looks salvageable to me. not pretty, but should be possible to build into a functional lower.
            Live between Santa Cruz and SLO? Want to get involved?
            Check out the Central Coast Calguns Community Chapter
            And join the Central Coast Region Social Group!
            sigpic
            NRA Life Member - CRPA Life & Board Member - SAF Life Member - Monterey County Carry Initiative Sponsor
            Statements posted here are the sole opinions of the author and not those
            of CGN, CGF, CRPA, or any other institution or agency unless otherwise noted.

            Comment

            • #21
              savs2k
              Senior Member
              • Jan 2007
              • 1807

              I had a little bit of free time today so I decided to get back to work with the lower. It looks like it'll fit. I realigned everything to get it in spec. Ugly wall but hey it should work. So anyone who screws up by not reading directions at least once like me.... you can still fix it. I still need to do the trigger slot and trigger/hammer pin. Then i'll know if it's functional. I did a test fit and my upper has some slop to it. The milling adapter plate slot is a bit wider then it should be. I'll figure out a way to stop the play but its not bad i've had worse on lowers/upper i've bought. Anyways here is a single picture update. Thanks for the help guys.

              Comment

              • #22
                fabguy
                Senior Member
                • Dec 2008
                • 1321

                Who's lower is it? (manufacturer) and who's jig did you buy? I want to do one of these but not sure which jig to get that will work with which 80% lower. If I could get that info and try it out, I have a few friends waiting to get theirs. I guess they want me to be the guinny pig. I have a fabrication shop so I guess MAYBE I could host a 80% lower party here in So. Cal. ( for calgun members))if anyone is interested.
                -------------------------------------------

                Comment

                • #23
                  Rule .308
                  Veteran Member
                  • Oct 2005
                  • 2531

                  The jig and a whole lot more can be found here.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    goober
                    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                    CGN Contributor
                    • Sep 2008
                    • 4875

                    Originally posted by fabguy
                    Who's lower is it? (manufacturer) and who's jig did you buy? I want to do one of these but not sure which jig to get that will work with which 80% lower. If I could get that info and try it out, I have a few friends waiting to get theirs. I guess they want me to be the guinny pig. I have a fabrication shop so I guess MAYBE I could host a 80% lower party here in So. Cal. ( for calgun members))if anyone is interested.
                    both CNC and TM jigs will work w/ any mil-spec 80% lower.
                    but depending on what flavor of 80 you have, there may be different things left to do on it.
                    for TM 80's and others that need only the trigger & hammer pin + FCG pocket done, the TM jig has everything you need.
                    if selector, bolt catch roll pin or and/plunger, and/or mag release holes need to be done, the CNC jig has those covered as well.
                    assuming from your post that the "fab" in your username does not stand for "fabulous" (or at least not solely ), you should have no problem doing an 80 if you have a shop. you could even make your own jig if needed.
                    Live between Santa Cruz and SLO? Want to get involved?
                    Check out the Central Coast Calguns Community Chapter
                    And join the Central Coast Region Social Group!
                    sigpic
                    NRA Life Member - CRPA Life & Board Member - SAF Life Member - Monterey County Carry Initiative Sponsor
                    Statements posted here are the sole opinions of the author and not those
                    of CGN, CGF, CRPA, or any other institution or agency unless otherwise noted.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      savs2k
                      Senior Member
                      • Jan 2007
                      • 1807

                      the jig is a cnc jig from justin. the "cooler" looking 80% is a quentin. The other 2 80% are ar15plus. The quentin lower is really nice. You need to do the fc pocket, trigger and hammer pin,the rear pocket where the back of the upper goes,and the hole for the trigger its self to go into. The new style jig for a solid fc pocket does take alot longer to do but it's not too bad. If you have a mill you'll be able to knock these out within 10 mins. If you decide to do it on a drill press like i did... well have fun. If I had to do one more... sure I would on a drill press. But if I had to do 2 more..... i'm putting out the money for a decent mill.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        goober
                        CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                        CGN Contributor
                        • Sep 2008
                        • 4875

                        Originally posted by savs2k
                        the jig is a cnc jig from justin. the "cooler" looking 80% is a quentin. The other 2 80% are ar15plus. The quentin lower is really nice. You need to do the fc pocket, trigger and hammer pin,the rear pocket where the back of the upper goes,and the hole for the trigger its self to go into. The new style jig for a solid fc pocket does take alot longer to do but it's not too bad. If you have a mill you'll be able to knock these out within 10 mins. If you decide to do it on a drill press like i did... well have fun. If I had to do one more... sure I would on a drill press. But if I had to do 2 more..... i'm putting out the money for a decent mill.
                        10 minutes is awfully optimistic on a mill. 30 would be more like the minimum, on a bridgeport-sized mill with a skillful operator.
                        Live between Santa Cruz and SLO? Want to get involved?
                        Check out the Central Coast Calguns Community Chapter
                        And join the Central Coast Region Social Group!
                        sigpic
                        NRA Life Member - CRPA Life & Board Member - SAF Life Member - Monterey County Carry Initiative Sponsor
                        Statements posted here are the sole opinions of the author and not those
                        of CGN, CGF, CRPA, or any other institution or agency unless otherwise noted.

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          ar15barrels
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Jan 2006
                          • 57179

                          Originally posted by goober
                          10 minutes is awfully optimistic on a mill.
                          I think he's talking about a CNC mill.
                          Randall Rausch

                          AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                          Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                          Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                          Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                          Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            goober
                            CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                            CGN Contributor
                            • Sep 2008
                            • 4875

                            even then w/ setup time 10 min would be just doable, w/o 4th axis
                            Live between Santa Cruz and SLO? Want to get involved?
                            Check out the Central Coast Calguns Community Chapter
                            And join the Central Coast Region Social Group!
                            sigpic
                            NRA Life Member - CRPA Life & Board Member - SAF Life Member - Monterey County Carry Initiative Sponsor
                            Statements posted here are the sole opinions of the author and not those
                            of CGN, CGF, CRPA, or any other institution or agency unless otherwise noted.

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              savs2k
                              Senior Member
                              • Jan 2007
                              • 1807

                              i was talking about a manual. I'm lazy and would have just plunged to get it done. I don't find it practical to run a cnc for an 80%. But then again my cnc operator skills aren't the best yet. I wrecked a part i was running the other day on a hass vf-2. Dunno what the heck i did but it reset my g54

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                savs2k
                                Senior Member
                                • Jan 2007
                                • 1807

                                i never look at the clock when im machining so you guys could be right. It might only seem like 10 mins to me but is 30 in reality. I'm also a newbie to machining so dont burn me too hard

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1