Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

AK-47 BUILD

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • CGK60
    Senior Member
    • Jun 2008
    • 594

    AK-47 BUILD

    Hello has anybody used JB weld on ak bolt rails.don't have acess to a welder.heard of somebody using solder also. what do you guys think.
  • #2
    Cokebottle
    Seņor Member
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • Oct 2009
    • 32373

    Regular solder is too soft... Silver solder, or brazing would perhaps do the job, but overheating the extractor would anneal it, re-heat treating it would melt the solder/brazing filler.

    Harbor Freight only gets $125 or so for their 110v spot welder... or a local Calgunner may have one that you can use for the half hour it'll take.

    I wouldn't trust JB weld.
    - Rich

    Originally posted by dantodd
    A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.

    Comment

    • #3
      jamesob
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2008
      • 4821

      jb weld? what about paying somebody 20 bucks to put a few tack welds on em? if you post your location i'm sure somebody will help you out.
      Last edited by jamesob; 11-13-2009, 6:46 PM.

      Comment

      • #4
        CSACANNONEER
        CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • Dec 2006
        • 44094

        NO! Don't even think of it! Either get to a build party, find a spot welder or, at the bare minimum, use small nuts and machine screws. If you bolt them in, you can always plug weld them later. DO NOT TRY JB WELD!
        NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
        California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
        Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
        Utah CCW Instructor


        Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

        sigpic
        CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

        KM6WLV

        Comment

        • #5
          woodey
          Senior Member
          • May 2008
          • 913

          Regular solder is too soft...


          Regular plumbing solder is fine if you clean properly.

          Comment

          • #6
            Cokebottle
            Seņor Member
            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
            • Oct 2009
            • 32373

            Originally posted by woodey
            Regular solder is too soft...


            Regular plumbing solder is fine if you clean properly.
            By "regular" I'm referring to electrical solder applied with an iron.... 60/40 or the Godaweful "lead free" solders.

            But any time you get in there with a torch, you're risking blowing the hardening on the extractor and around the hammer pin holes.
            - Rich

            Originally posted by dantodd
            A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.

            Comment

            • #7
              CGK60
              Senior Member
              • Jun 2008
              • 594

              ak build

              I think ill use small screws after getting input from you guys.thanks.

              Comment

              • #8
                TURBOELKY
                Senior Member
                • Aug 2009
                • 1930

                you can also buy a pop rivet tool for 20 bucks at sears, and use steel pop rivets..MUCH better than the above, besides the spot welding....
                sigpic
                TURBOELKY

                Comment

                • #9
                  Noobert
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2009
                  • 3343

                  either spot weld or the small machine screws
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(") Copy and paste this bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.!!!

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Wyseguy
                    Senior Member
                    • Jan 2007
                    • 1204

                    Originally posted by CSACANNONEER
                    NO! Don't even think of it! Either get to a build party, find a spot welder or, at the bare minimum, use small nuts and machine screws. If you bolt them in, you can always plug weld them later. DO NOT TRY JB WELD!
                    NEVER NEVER NEVER
                    If you are local enough, you can use my spot welder. Let me know your location.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      bigbob76
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2007
                      • 3954

                      Originally posted by CGK60
                      Hello has anybody used JB weld on ak bolt rails.don't have acess to a welder.heard of somebody using solder also. what do you guys think.
                      It could be helpful if edit your personal information so that your location shows in the upper right hand of all your posts.
                      If you can't explain it simply you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        SJgunguy24
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • May 2008
                        • 14849

                        Originally posted by bigbob76
                        It could be helpful if edit your personal information so that your location shows in the upper right hand of all your posts.
                        Yep, this one always gets to me.....I need help, can someone come save me.......but I won't tell you where I am.


                        I'm in San Jose and I have a welding machine.
                        There are 3 kinds of people in this world.
                        The wise, learn from the mistakes of others.
                        The smart, learn from their own mistakes.
                        The others, well......they just never learn.

                        "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death!"
                        Patrick Henry.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          mrlonewolf
                          CGSSA Director - C3 Leader & Regional Gun Show Booth Coordinator (LA/OC/IE)
                          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                          • Jul 2008
                          • 4003

                          OMG....JB Weld.
                          Don't even think about it.
                          Spot weld is the way to go, why don't you post your location so we can help you.
                          Would you like to participate in the Right to Keep and Bear Arms movement in California?
                          Please visit the Calguns Community Chapter forum for your area and sign the roll call
                          California needs YOU.


                          sigpic

                          Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable. George S. Patton

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            croc4
                            Senior Member
                            • May 2005
                            • 569

                            +1 woodey

                            silver solder works, I have done it on three builds now. I harden the ejector but not aneal it, the soldering takes care of it.

                            Based on a simple screw driver test on my first spot welded kit, I was able to pop the rail off, I tried this on a sample rail I soldered, wouldn't budge, ended up ruining the the test flat, and it still held tight. Since that time I have not looked back and solder all my rails.

                            Also the center rivit locks the rails from moving front to back. But its your build and you should make your own decision based on what you think is best. Spot welding is from what I know the most accurate way, but its not the only way.

                            My 2c

                            Croc4

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Cokebottle
                              Seņor Member
                              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                              • Oct 2009
                              • 32373

                              Originally posted by croc4
                              silver solder works, I have done it on three builds now. I harden the ejector but not aneal it, the soldering takes care of it.
                              Oh absolutely... it can be done. I was just looking at the question at face value, including the JB Weld comment, and not wanting to see the guy pick up a roll of "mystery metal" from Radio Shack and try to install his rails with a 25w pencil.

                              Also, as you know, but a lot of people don't, there is a big difference between silver solders available.
                              Radio Shack's stuff is 62/36/2... only 2% silver and it's melting point is not much higher (or stronger) than regular solder.
                              4% melts at 475, and 5% melts at 650.

                              I think 5% would be adequate... Brownells has a 95% Cadmium/5% Silver for $11/oz, or $41 for 1/4lb.
                              - Rich

                              Originally posted by dantodd
                              A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1