Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Bit broke off in lower

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • calwoodbutcher
    Member
    • Mar 2011
    • 261

    Bit broke off in lower

    1/8 inch bit broke off while milling an 80. About 1/2 inch of the bit broke off about 3/4 inch deep. What do I do now? Drilled next to it but can't get that sucker out. I should have gone to the trouble to get out the good bits but it's only aluminum. Damn chyna junk.
    An Armed Society is a Polite Society!
  • #2
    hermosabeach
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Feb 2009
    • 19845

    Well it is a serialized Lower... right?

    I seem to recall Feds don/t allow others to help with home builds...

    Is there room to mill around the broken bit? Is it broken off flush?

    Pictures?

    What type of Mill?

    Can you flip the piece 180 Degrees- Mill down to the broken bit from the other side and punch out

    Last edited by hermosabeach; 03-26-2021, 7:11 PM.
    Rule 1- ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

    Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

    Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

    Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
    (thanks to Jeff Cooper)

    Comment

    • #3
      ar15barrels
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Jan 2006
      • 57182

      Originally posted by calwoodbutcher
      1/8 inch bit broke off while milling an 80.
      About 1/2 inch of the bit broke off about 3/4 inch deep.
      What do I do now?
      Drilled next to it but can't get that sucker out.
      A drill bit?
      A router bit?
      A screwdreiver bit?

      Without specifics, there's no way to say the easy way to attack the problem.
      An EDM will plunge straight down into it no matter what bit it was but it's probably cheaper to just buy another lower and try again.
      Maybe use some and clear the chips better next time so you don't stick another piece of tool steel in your aluminum blanks.
      Randall Rausch

      AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
      Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
      Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
      Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
      Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

      Comment

      • #4
        bohoki
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Jan 2006
        • 20826

        a pic would help why a 1/8 bit?

        Comment

        • #5
          Lonestargrizzly
          Calguns Addict
          • Dec 2015
          • 6504

          That sucks!
          Hope you bought a 3 pack!

          Comment

          • #6
            ar15barrels
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Jan 2006
            • 57182

            Originally posted by bohoki
            a pic would help why a 1/8 bit?
            Probably one of these kinds of jigs that uses a whole bunch of drilled holes to remove most of the material:



            You drill the small holes, then drill the bigger holes and then finally use a router to finish the pockets.
            Randall Rausch

            AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
            Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
            Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
            Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
            Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

            Comment

            • #7
              calwoodbutcher
              Member
              • Mar 2011
              • 261

              Originally posted by ar15barrels
              A drill bit?
              A router bit?
              A screwdreiver bit?

              Without specifics, there's no way to say the easy way to attack the problem.
              An EDM will plunge straight down into it no matter what bit it was but it's probably cheaper to just buy another lower and try again.
              Maybe use some and clear the chips better next time so you don't stick another piece of tool steel in your aluminum blanks.
              Drill bit. Yes it is serialized and logo engraved as well. Ain't gonna trash it. I was using aluminum cutting fluid and clearing chips (apparently not enough). I am thinking of cutting away the material around it with an end mill after drilling the closest 3/8 holes.
              An Armed Society is a Polite Society!

              Comment

              • #8
                ar15barrels
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Jan 2006
                • 57182

                Originally posted by calwoodbutcher
                Drill bit. Yes it is serialized and logo engraved as well. Ain't gonna trash it. I was using aluminum cutting fluid and clearing chips (apparently not enough). I am thinking of cutting away the material around it with an end mill after drilling the closest 3/8 holes.
                If you clear all the material around it until you are within 0.010" or so (don't run another drill bit or the endmill into the broken drill bit!), you can take a punch to the drill bit and break open the cavity that the drill bit is in and knock it out to the side.
                Make sure you get ALL of the remaining pieces of bit out before you mill through that section because a piece of drill bit will trash an endmill.
                Randall Rausch

                AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                Comment

                • #9
                  calwoodbutcher
                  Member
                  • Mar 2011
                  • 261

                  Thanks Randall. I will take my time. Haste most assuredly got me in this mess.
                  An Armed Society is a Polite Society!

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    bergmen
                    Senior Member
                    • May 2011
                    • 2493

                    There used to be an acid etch product that will only attack steel and leave the aluminum alone. I used to use this when I was in manufacturing to remove broken thread forming screws and broke taps. It will remove any finish you have (in my case black anodizing) but the broken part will eventually float out.

                    I would check with machine tool outfits (call around, you will find someone who knows exactly what I am taking about).

                    Dan

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      calwoodbutcher
                      Member
                      • Mar 2011
                      • 261

                      Managed to drift that junk o bit out with a punch. Came out in pieces but it is all gone. Thanks again Randall.
                      An Armed Society is a Polite Society!

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        sonofeugene
                        Veteran Member
                        • Oct 2013
                        • 4698

                        What are you using to mill the lower? A proper milling machine, I hope. Though I kind of doubt it because you broke a drill bit.

                        Why people don't use a proper tool for the job boggles my mind.
                        Let us not pray to be sheltered from dangers but to be fearless when facing them. - Rabindranath Tagore

                        A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore

                        Talent hits a target no one else can hit. Genius hits a target no one else can see. - Arthur Schopenhaur

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          pacrat
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • May 2014
                          • 10285

                          Originally posted by sonofeugene
                          What are you using to mill the lower? A proper milling machine, I hope. Though I kind of doubt it because you broke a drill bit.

                          Why people don't use a proper tool for the job boggles my mind.
                          If someone is using a fixture like that shown by Randall. A drill press, or even a properly used hand drill. In conjunction with a router is "a proper tool for the job".

                          A "proper milling machine" is certainly no guarantee of undamaged tooling.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            calwoodbutcher
                            Member
                            • Mar 2011
                            • 261

                            Thanks Pacrat. Not all of us can afford "a proper milling machine". Lowers done with the jig method function perfectly fine. Ask the thousands of people that have used them. Done here for now.
                            An Armed Society is a Polite Society!

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              xsefan
                              Senior Member
                              • Jun 2013
                              • 1931

                              Mini mill works great for a bunch of stuff. 80% arms ez 3 is half the price of a mini mill. Drilling and taping an 870 is the reason I bought the mini mill. Now I use it for all kids of stuff. I have even done some non gun stuff for people and made some money back

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1