Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Machining Tool question

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • MosinVirus
    Happily Infected
    CGN Contributor
    • Sep 2013
    • 5282

    Machining Tool question

    Hello all,

    Don't know if such tools/cutters exist... Haven't taken the time to research completely, but...

    There are dowel/tenon cutters for wood. Are there endmills that do the same for steel? something that doesn't cut center, but where you can designate the diameter of the pin? I imagine it wouldn't be all that difficult to produce those with a hole running down the center of the tool...

    This way when this endmill is plunged into material, it will leave a pin protruding in the center of the blind hole.

    So the question is, do these exist and what are they called?
    Thank you,


    EDIT: Found the closest thing - Hollow mills.
    Last edited by MosinVirus; 08-07-2018, 11:40 AM.
    Hobbies: bla, bla, bla... Bought a Mosin Nagant... Guns, Guns, Guns...
  • #2
    kcstott
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Nov 2011
    • 11796

    They do but they are not small. Look for an annular cutter or a hogan bit but be advised the smallest you wil find is 1/2” od

    Comment

    • #3
      bridgeport
      Senior Member
      • Jan 2006
      • 782

      Originally posted by MosinVirus
      Hello all,

      Don't know if such tools/cutters exist... Haven't taken the time to research completely, but...

      There are dowel/tenon cutters for wood. Are there endmills that do the same for steel? something that doesn't cut center, but where you can designate the diameter of the pin? I imagine it wouldn't be all that difficult to produce those with a hole running down the center of the tool...

      This way when this endmill is plunged into material, it will leave a pin protruding in the center of the blind hole.

      So the question is, do these exist and what are they called?
      Thank you,




      EDIT: Found the closest thing - Hollow mills.

      In the pre industrial era it was quite common to make sized screw bodies and such by running stock into a cutter plate with a hole sized to the desired finished diameter, thus allowing for the larger head of the screw to be cut off, finished and slotted. Using a hollow mill or some other device to make a dowel pin would be impractical as dowel pins would typically be cut from formed rod rather than milled from stock, and even sized dowel pins of wood are almost always made from stock which is as close to the finished diameter as is possible in most cases.

      Comment

      • #4
        MosinVirus
        Happily Infected
        CGN Contributor
        • Sep 2013
        • 5282

        Originally posted by kcstott
        They do but they are not small. Look for an annular cutter or a hogan bit but be advised the smallest you wil find is 1/2” od
        Thank you, I will take a look.

        This may be a silly question, but if I were to take a HSS square endmill, fixture it vertical and use a carbide endmill of the needed size to mill out a center hole in the HSS, do you see it working? Obviously I would clean up the inner edges of the cutting faces at the hole.

        Originally posted by bridgeport
        In the pre industrial era it was quite common to make sized screw bodies and such by running stock into a cutter plate with a hole sized to the desired finished diameter, thus allowing for the larger head of the screw to be cut off, finished and slotted. Using a hollow mill or some other device to make a dowel pin would be impractical as dowel pins would typically be cut from formed rod rather than milled from stock, and even sized dowel pins of wood are almost always made from stock which is as close to the finished diameter as is possible in most cases.
        I am not thinking dowels. I am thinking pins protruding from flat surfaces.
        Last edited by MosinVirus; 08-07-2018, 1:23 PM.
        Hobbies: bla, bla, bla... Bought a Mosin Nagant... Guns, Guns, Guns...

        Comment

        • #5
          MosinVirus
          Happily Infected
          CGN Contributor
          • Sep 2013
          • 5282

          Not setup with CNC, don't have a rotary table.
          Hobbies: bla, bla, bla... Bought a Mosin Nagant... Guns, Guns, Guns...

          Comment

          • #6
            kcstott
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Nov 2011
            • 11796

            Originally posted by MosinVirus
            Thank you, I will take a look.

            This may be a silly question, but if I were to take a HSS square endmill, fixture it vertical and use a carbide endmill of the needed size to mill out a center hole in the HSS, do you see it working? Obviously I would clean up the inner edges of the cutting faces at the hole.



            I am not thinking dowels. I am thinking pins protruding from flat surfaces.

            Comment

            • #7
              MosinVirus
              Happily Infected
              CGN Contributor
              • Sep 2013
              • 5282

              I see. Thank you.
              Hobbies: bla, bla, bla... Bought a Mosin Nagant... Guns, Guns, Guns...

              Comment

              • #8
                G-forceJunkie
                Calguns Addict
                • Jul 2010
                • 6479

                The tool your asking for is called a rotabroach. Its is like you say, a hollow end mill. They are made to have a spring loaded pin run down the center to push the slug out when you drill. THey are sized for the outside hole, not the inside, so if you need a pin a specific size, you may have to find one with a smallenough I.D. then have a grinding shop open the I.D. to your specs.

                Comment

                • #9
                  ar15barrels
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Jan 2006
                  • 57181

                  Originally posted by MosinVirus
                  There are dowel/tenon cutters for wood. Are there endmills that do the same for steel? something that doesn't cut center, but where you can designate the diameter of the pin? I imagine it wouldn't be all that difficult to produce those with a hole running down the center of the tool...

                  This way when this endmill is plunged into material, it will leave a pin protruding in the center of the blind hole.
                  Boring head with the boring bar turned around 180 degrees.
                  Randall Rausch

                  AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                  Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                  Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                  Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                  Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    ar15barrels
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Jan 2006
                    • 57181

                    I bought a benchtop EDM machine last week and it should have been picked up today by the freight company.

                    Wanna come spend an hour or two teaching me how to run it?
                    Randall Rausch

                    AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                    Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                    Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                    Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                    Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      ar15barrels
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Jan 2006
                      • 57181

                      Originally posted by G-forceJunkie
                      The tool your asking for is called a rotabroach. Its is like you say, a hollow end mill. They are made to have a spring loaded pin run down the center to push the slug out when you drill. THey are sized for the outside hole, not the inside, so if you need a pin a specific size, you may have to find one with a smallenough I.D. then have a grinding shop open the I.D. to your specs.
                      I tried using rotabroaches to make a post and I found that they are not ground with proper cutting reliefs inside.
                      The inside plug that is left after breaking through is normally considered waste.
                      Randall Rausch

                      AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                      Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                      Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                      Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                      Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        MosinVirus
                        Happily Infected
                        CGN Contributor
                        • Sep 2013
                        • 5282

                        Thank you all for the suggestions.
                        I will definitely be spending time looking at all the options in the near future.
                        Hobbies: bla, bla, bla... Bought a Mosin Nagant... Guns, Guns, Guns...

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          MosinVirus
                          Happily Infected
                          CGN Contributor
                          • Sep 2013
                          • 5282

                          Originally posted by 6un5_4r3_N347
                          A rotary table or an index dividing head is a good investment if you are thinking about getting into manual machining a little more. A rotary table can be had for a reasonable price if you are patient and look for one.


                          r074rY_748135_4r3_N347
                          Last edited by MosinVirus; 08-08-2018, 2:29 AM.
                          Hobbies: bla, bla, bla... Bought a Mosin Nagant... Guns, Guns, Guns...

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            theLBC
                            CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                            CGN Contributor
                            • Oct 2017
                            • 7384



                            Comment

                            • #15
                              67Cuda
                              Senior Member
                              • Oct 2013
                              • 1721

                              What are you trying to accomplish?
                              What size dowel are wanting to produce?

                              Can't you drill and press a pin to accomplish what you want?
                              If the material is thin, can you back bore the hole and make a step pin?

                              Just throwing things out there.
                              Originally posted by ivanimal
                              People that call other member stupid get time off.
                              So much for being honest.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1