Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

How to make Dummy Rounds

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • thehobbygunsmith
    Junior Member
    • Dec 2017
    • 76

    How to make Dummy Rounds

    Hey guys, i uploaded a new video to my channel for any of you who are interested on how to make your own dummy rounds at home as a little weekend project, or as a project on your free time. I hope you guys like this video and please Share, Like, and Subscribe to the channel to show some love. Thanks!!!

  • #2
    u04601
    Junior Member
    • Mar 2018
    • 79

    Or..... if you have access to a 3D printer......

    Some family members and friends occasionally ask me to take them target shooting. I like to go over the functioning of the guns in a relaxed atmosphere, at home, where they don't feel overwhelmed. I wanted to use snap caps to allow them to get used to loading, cycling, un-jamming, and dry firing the guns. Commercially available snap caps can cost between $1 - 4 each depending on where you buy them and what material they are made of. So, I asked if any of my local Facebook friends reload, and would they punch out the old primer and resize some brass for me. No problem, someone stepped up. I printed some plastic bullets at a cost of about 3 cents each. Pressed (hammer tapped) them in and now I have some cheap, well fitting snap caps to practice with.


    Some family members and friends occasionally ask me to take them target shooting. I like to go over the functioning of the guns in a relaxed atmosphere, at home, where they don't feel overwhelmed. I wanted to use snap caps to allow them to get used to loading, cycling, un-jamming, and dry firing the guns. Commercially available snap caps can cost between $1 - 4 each depending on where you buy them and what material they are made of. So, I asked if any of my local Facebook friends reload, and would they punch out the old primer and resize some brass for me. No problem, someone stepped up. I printed some plastic bullets at a cost of about 3 cents each. Pressed (hammer tapped) them in and now I have some cheap, well fitting snap caps to practice with.
    ______________________________________
    "And further, that ordinarily when called for service these men were expected to appear bearing arms supplied by themselves and of the kind in common use at the time." (United States v. Miller (1939))

    "It is too often the case in political concerns that men state facts not as they are, but as they wish them to be...." (Federal Farmer#1)

    Comment

    • #3
      God Bless America
      Calguns Addict
      • May 2014
      • 5165

      Register them as Democrats?

      Comment

      • #4
        racinjason233
        Senior Member
        • Apr 2015
        • 1457

        Originally posted by God Bless America
        Register them as Democrats?
        Originally posted by smashycrashy
        Damn, you are right, I suck
        Originally posted by OleCuss
        I despise Trump.

        Comment

        • #5
          ar15barrels
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Jan 2006
          • 57175

          I'm not going to watch the video because it would probably make me feel dumber.
          Any reloader should be able to figure out that the way to make dummy rounds is simply to NOT install a primer and powder.
          All the other steps of loading ammo are the same.
          Randall Rausch

          AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
          Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
          Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
          Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
          Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

          Comment

          • #6
            MosinVirus
            Happily Infected
            CGN Contributor
            • Sep 2013
            • 5282

            Wouldn't it be prudent to also fill the case with epoxy so that the round will not suffer setback?
            Hobbies: bla, bla, bla... Bought a Mosin Nagant... Guns, Guns, Guns...

            Comment

            • #7
              ar15barrels
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Jan 2006
              • 57175

              Originally posted by MosinVirus
              Wouldn't it be prudent to also fill the case with epoxy so that the round will not suffer setback?
              The crimp should be enough.
              Randall Rausch

              AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
              Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
              Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
              Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
              Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

              Comment

              • #8
                Paseclipse
                CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                • Jul 2011
                • 1246

                Originally posted by ar15barrels
                Any reloader should be able to figure out that the way to make dummy rounds is simply to NOT install a primer and powder.
                All the other steps of loading ammo are the same.
                ^^ This... Easy peazy! Exactly the same as reloading a regular round only without a new primer and powder.

                Comment

                Working...
                UA-8071174-1