Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Cerakote Help

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • arrowshooter
    Senior Member
    • Aug 2013
    • 724

    Cerakote Help

    So I installed a new factory barrel on my Mauser 98 and had it head spaced perfect to where it closed smoothly on the Go gauge but locked up when I added a piece of scotch tape to the back of the gauge. At the range it shot wonderfully with zero issues. Enter Cerakote. I had the barreled action Cerakoted and he did a wonderful job inside and out, blocking off the barrel at both ends. But when I took it out to the range the load I had worked up was a touch tough to close the bolt on and a whole lot tougher to open back up after the shot as if my load was over pressured.

    I just now broke out the Go gauge and low and behold it is now way tight and my assumption is because of the coating that ended up on the face of the barrel lugs. So my question is will the Cerakote wear down, or should I do something to help it wear down? I hate to take the reamer back to it and then have it wear down later down the line resulting in too much head space.
  • #2
    shafferds
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2008
    • 1970

    Remove the cerakote off the lugs with fine sandpaper til it closes right.

    Comment

    • #3
      kcstott
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Nov 2011
      • 11796

      Another ameture doing Cerakote work. You don't coat surfaces that mate. BOLT lugs included.

      Sand it off and the rifle will be fine but don't forget the bolt face too if he painted that as well. .001-.002 build up on lugs plus .001"-.002" build up on bolt face =.002"-.004" decrease in head space.

      Comment

      • #4
        zoner
        Member
        • Mar 2012
        • 450

        i had a Mossberg 500 done by a highly recommended local shop. I disassembled the gun and took in the parts, and raised concerns about what should or shouldn't be painted in reference to tolerances. Dude behind the counter told me not to worry, they do this all the time. When i went to reassemble the gun the barrel wouldn't even go in the reciever, just from painting the barrel hood and the inside of the reciever. After raising concerns at the shop,being told not to worry, then having it work out that way....I am pissed. I had to sand the barrel hood down to bare metal, being super careful not to go so far that bare metal would show after assembly. I got it assembled, grumbling all the way. Even sanding cerakote does NOT come off easy.

        Comment

        • #5
          zoner
          Member
          • Mar 2012
          • 450

          i highly recommend just taking in the gun and paying for assembly/reassembly where you get the work done. That way when it won't go back together it's THEIR problem, not mine

          Comment

          • #6
            kcstott
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Nov 2011
            • 11796

            That’s why I prep parts on a build gun building in extra tolerance like a slide on a 1911
            A barrel is one thing but a bolt head? Nope bad idea.

            Comment

            • #7
              arrowshooter
              Senior Member
              • Aug 2013
              • 724

              Thanks all. I just had the barreled receiver done and not the bolt, so getting a piece of sandpaper in the barrel extension will be tough. How about lapping compound, or will that take material off of the "bolt" lugs too?

              Or better yet, how about just knocking the extra .001" or so off the shoulder bump with the die? That way as it wears I can readjust the die back to where it was.
              Last edited by arrowshooter; 12-21-2017, 8:44 AM.

              Comment

              • #8
                kcstott
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Nov 2011
                • 11796

                There is no barrel extension on a Mauser. And it’s highly unlikely that that the cerakote got in there on the mating surface of the action lugs.
                Get a chamber brush and clean your weapon.

                Comment

                • #9
                  arrowshooter
                  Senior Member
                  • Aug 2013
                  • 724

                  Originally posted by kcstott
                  There is no barrel extension on a Mauser. And it’s highly unlikely that that the cerakote got in there on the mating surface of the action lugs.
                  Get a chamber brush and clean your weapon.
                  Chamber is shiny clean, but I just brushed and mopped it for good measure. I use Barrel Extension for lack of a better term, so Action Lugs it is. I am going after the action lugs because it was bueno before the cerakote and no bueno after the cerakote, plus I am also getting "black" on the rear of the bolt lugs after working it in the action for a bit.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    kcstott
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Nov 2011
                    • 11796

                    You think that might be the sand they used to blast the action with. Again clean your weapon. The chamber brush not only cleans the chamber but the lug recess as well. Clean your weapon and it will be fine. If any thing it’s a minor amount of over spray.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      arrowshooter
                      Senior Member
                      • Aug 2013
                      • 724

                      Will do, thanks.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      UA-8071174-1