Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Mini-14 Front Sight Replacement

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • olhunter
    CGN Contributor
    • Dec 2008
    • 3707

    Mini-14 Front Sight Replacement

    Ok, I took the flash suppressor off the mini-14 to make it legal and tried to put the stock front sight back on. TIGHT fit and only went on until the front edge is just past the muzzle. It's tight, aligned properly and shoots fine, just doesn't look right. I've heard they were pressed on at the factory, but it had to come off at some point (I didn't take it off). Any suggestions for getting it to slide back another 2 inches without pounding on it? If not, anyone know a gunsmith in the Santa Clarita area that could do it? I've also looked for aftermarket front sights for this to no avail. Thanks.......
    It cannot be inherited, nor can it ever be purchased.
    You and no one alive can buy it for any price. It is impossible to rent and cannot be lent.
    You alone and our own have earned it with...Your sweat, blood and lives. You own it forever.

    The title is....."United States Marine".


    sigpic
  • #2
    StukaJr
    Member
    • Nov 2006
    • 369

    I've been told to heat up the front site with a propane torch as hot metal expands, until it travels far enough up the barrel - proper gloves are obviously a must...

    Never tried this myself but it has been the workaround at perfectunion.
    NRA Member

    sigpic

    Comment

    • #3
      Kestryll
      Head Janitor
      • Oct 2005
      • 21614

      As Stuka said, heating is a known way of refitting the front sight.
      Another way is to use a block of wood and a hammer to tap it in to place. The block of wood prevents damage to the metal.
      You can apply a bit of gun oil to the barrel before tapping to lubricate both parts.
      NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA Life Member / SAF Life Member
      Calguns.net, LLC. - Owner.
      The California Rifle & Pistol Assoc. - Director.
      DONATE TO NRA-ILA, CRPA AND CRPAF NOW!
      Opinions posted in this account are my own and unless specifically stated as such are not the approved position of Calguns.net or CRPA.

      Comment

      • #4
        olhunter
        CGN Contributor
        • Dec 2008
        • 3707

        Ok, I'll try that...thanks. Will pounding hurt the barrel or alignment? Or just my fingers when they get in the way? I guess if it's not going on by moderate tapping, I should just stop. lol..
        It cannot be inherited, nor can it ever be purchased.
        You and no one alive can buy it for any price. It is impossible to rent and cannot be lent.
        You alone and our own have earned it with...Your sweat, blood and lives. You own it forever.

        The title is....."United States Marine".


        sigpic

        Comment

        • #5
          ViPER395
          Calguns Addict
          • Feb 2007
          • 7860

          When I had my bbl cut, my 'smith told me my sight was incredibly difficult to remove.

          I would get it done professionally if I were you.
          Originally posted by Rainbow Warrior
          Liberals didn't invent douchebaggery but they certainly perfected it.

          Comment

          • #6
            rino
            Senior Member
            • Aug 2008
            • 625

            yes , it was very very hard to take mine off. had to heat it up a lot and use a chunk of wood to pound it off. to put one on i would say do the same thing. you could also try a brass hammer or a home made lead hammer (works good) to try and tap it back on . heat is the key with this just not to much.

            Comment

            • #7
              gunboat
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2008
              • 3288

              If the sight base/ramp is cylindrical use a tool - like a socket -- to drive it on --

              Comment

              • #8
                olhunter
                CGN Contributor
                • Dec 2008
                • 3707

                Got'er done.

                A little penetrating oil, heated it up with a torch lighter, a 9/16 deep socket and a few firm taps with a hammer and it slid right on. Thanks for the tips.

                Dad always told me, "If it doesn't fit, use a bigger hammer".
                It cannot be inherited, nor can it ever be purchased.
                You and no one alive can buy it for any price. It is impossible to rent and cannot be lent.
                You alone and our own have earned it with...Your sweat, blood and lives. You own it forever.

                The title is....."United States Marine".


                sigpic

                Comment

                • #9
                  Experimentalist
                  Banned in Amsterdam
                  CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                  • May 2006
                  • 1171

                  I'm glad to hear you've met with success.

                  Most of the people I've spoken to about changing the front sight on a Mini-14 have reported that it is truly a miserable experience.
                  "An unarmed man can only flee from evil. And evil is not overcome by fleeing from it" - Col. Jeff Cooper

                  "Shot placement trumps all."

                  Originally posted by CSACANNONEER
                  Who uses 9mm for SD? Anything less than a 50BMG is stupid to use. Personally, I prefer canister rounds out of a 10lb Parrott rifle for SD.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  UA-8071174-1